Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discover Q4 2014 -- Online Shopping / Department Stores

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover Q4 2014 -- Online Shopping / Department Stores

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by andres17
I was waiting for the cashback on portals to be better to use my Discover 5% for Q4. For some reason, the order is going through as a CA on the Discover network. I got lucky the order is for more than my CA limit, otherwise, I would have been bit by a 5% CA fee!

Now, is this something new? Since when is AGC purchases posting as a CA on the Discover cards?

EDIT: Found the answer. It process as a CA initially, but if posts as a purchase at the end. The problem with Discover is that their CLs are super low (compared to other creditors), so their CA limit is low too. I will have to break this purchase in two. Hopefully the portals will be high again when I make the 2nd purchase.
Does this mean you found portals with cashback?

Or that you just gave up. Seems like ebates, topcashback exclude visa cards now.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by foggypastry
I got a confirmation from customer support HOWEVER Costco was the ONLY purchase I made that did NOT get the 5% (purchase was made in the middle of the month).
Have used it on two discover cards to buy gift cards at costco.com and I indeed get 5% cb. Going to buy $1k gc probably tomorrow to max or our 3rd discover card.

Costco doesn't activate the balance on the card until your receive it and call the number on it, which is not the case for amex gcs. We shop there all the time so it's a practical and safe solution while not eating up a lot of time MS'ing the amex cards.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:18 pm

Does AmericanExpress.com GC qualify for 5%?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by kay11
Does AmericanExpress.com GC qualify for 5%?
Yep
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by tenta
Yep
Thanks, Just bought a $1000 GC for $3.95 fee with free shipping.

Now I have find ways to liquidate it.

Was planning use a part of it to buy discounted restaurant gift cards.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:48 pm

Thanks, Just bought a $1000 GC for $3.95 fee with free shipping.

Now I have find ways to liquidate it.

Was planning use a part of it to buy discounted restaurant gift cards.
Well, this may backfire since Amex GCs take >1 week to post and it would be next year by then.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by seahawksunite
Well, this may backfire since Amex GCs take >1 week to post and it would be next year by then.
I thought only the transaction date matters.

I see it as pending on the site as of now.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:38 pm

I thought only the transaction date matters.

I see it as pending on the site as of now.
Amex GC charges process in strange ways, they initially block your limit, then they disappear and post shipping they are charged.

I checked my last discover order and orderdate and transaction date are 5 days apart.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by seahawksunite
Amex GC charges process in strange ways, they initially block your limit, then they disappear and post shipping they are charged.

I checked my last discover order and orderdate and transaction date are 5 days apart.
But does it go by order date or transaction date?

By the way, go Seahawks! #1 NFC seed, gotta love those guys.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by yukon50
But does it go by order date or transaction date?

By the way, go Seahawks! #1 NFC seed, gotta love those guys.
I am tempted to say transaction date, this is because Discover probably has no way of knowing that the earlier block and current charge are for the same thing. But you could probably contact customer care as a one time thing.

Go Hawks ! Seriously, this season has been awesome (like last season), last 2 games against Cardinals and Rams have been total domination
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:20 am

My order is shipped with 2 day expedited shipping.

No change in credit card status, still in pending.
But Cash Advance hold is removed, now I see 100% cash line available. Assuming it is converted into purchase now.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:56 am

General question about ShopDiscover CB - is there a convenient location to see your activity credited? There's a lump sum reward on the monthly cc statement, but I'm talking about shopping trips and individual transactions like you can find on Ebates site, etc.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:54 pm

discover online chat rep told me it is the post date
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:22 pm

Got the GC. Fast shipping by Amex (2day).
Ordered on 29th, approved and shipped next day and got the card today.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:22 pm

Got the GC. Fast shipping by Amex (2day).
Ordered on 29th, approved and shipped next day and got the card today.
Was it personalized ? Non personalized usually ship the next day, personalized take around 4-5 days to ship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.