Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Lovelabs2
You sure are! Liquidate within 24 hrs at most.
How should I liquidate a $500 visa gc if I haven’t reached my spending minimum to get credit card sign on bonus yet and I have another month to reach the minimum? Shouldn’t I still be charging the credit to try to reach the spending minimum instead of using the gc right away or is there a way to convert the gc to cash?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by baydude
How should I liquidate a $500 visa gc if I haven’t reached my spending minimum to get credit card sign on bonus yet and I have another month to reach the minimum? Shouldn’t I still be charging the credit to try to reach the spending minimum instead of using the gc right away or is there a way to convert the gc to cash?
don't hold GCs for too long... do own legwork and see which retailer(s) in ur area friendly take them for MO

Last edited by danhouston; Dec 14, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Beware fake bar codes hit Colorado Kroger USB!

I got hit for just under 500 - working on replacement card

tricky bar code - check matching numbers argggggghhhhhhh!
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
Beware fake bar codes hit Colorado Kroger USB!

I got hit for just under 500 - working on replacement card

tricky bar code - check matching numbers argggggghhhhhhh!
did yours have a paper with faked barcode taped on top? recent report /DP that scammers even managed to replace a USB vgc with a WM store gc inside the pkg; so the barcode still feel real but the #s didn't likely match
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:32 am

Data Point Metro ATL:

Bought 2 GCs this morning at Kroger (never had GC fraud problems in this one) and unpacked them soon noticing nothing suspicious. When trying to register card online the card number wasn't recognized. Tried on the phone and was automatically transferred to the rep who confirmed that both cards were compromised and she proceeded with the replacement process.
FYI: If you cannot register online and get transferred automatically upon calling make sure to wait for the rep to answer (15 minutes for me) as your card(s) was most likely tempered with.
I inspected package carefully and everything looked legit even after opening it.
kpe likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:38 pm

USB Visa GC bought at grocery stores are prime target for fraudsters at ALL Kroger brands…especially in large metro areas. Not many fraudsters live in Podunk areas but some do I’m sure. Unless you are buying for grocery points or cash back for grocery purchase and don’t mind waiting for a new replacement card from USB, just buy Vanilla Visa GC at CVS…very FEW fraud problems with them. Thankfully USB a is very good with fraud claims.

MOST IMPORTANT…..do not hold onto USB cards….liquidate immediately if possible and NEVER longer than a day. I liquidate within 30 minutes always when I do buy USB cards. I do same with Vanilla cards also. You have to be proactive to stay one step ahead of fraudsters.
kpe likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:58 pm
kpe

USB Visa GC bought at grocery stores are prime target for fraudsters at ALL Kroger brands…especially in large metro areas. Not many fraudsters live in Podunk areas but some do I’m sure. Unless you are buying for grocery points or cash back for grocery purchase and don’t mind waiting for a new replacement card from USB, just buy Vanilla Visa GC at CVS…very FEW fraud problems with them. Thankfully USB a is very good with fraud claims.

MOST IMPORTANT…..do not hold onto USB cards….liquidate immediately if possible and NEVER longer than a day. I liquidate within 30 minutes always when I do buy USB cards. I do same with Vanilla cards also. You have to be proactive to stay one step ahead of fraudsters.
How is MB VGC from Staples as far as draining is concerned? If it does end up getting drained, is their customer service as good as that of USB for refund or replacement card? Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap
Data Point Metro ATL:

Bought 2 GCs this morning at Kroger (never had GC fraud problems in this one) and unpacked them soon noticing nothing suspicious. When trying to register card online the card number wasn't recognized. Tried on the phone and was automatically transferred to the rep who confirmed that both cards were compromised and she proceeded with the replacement process.
FYI: If you cannot register online and get transferred automatically upon calling make sure to wait for the rep to answer (15 minutes for me) as your card(s) was most likely tempered with.
I inspected package carefully and everything looked legit even after opening it.
Why would the card not allow you to see/hear the balance when going online/calling? Even if it was drained, I wouldn't think that information would be blocked.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:38 pm

The card balance wasn't drained. IMO, USB developed counter fraud protection of some sort. My previous experience with fraud was drained card but not this time.

I think USB somehow detected tempering with the card while the card was purchased and somehow blocked it and forced me to call and talk with the rep to be able to get replacement cards.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap
The card balance wasn't drained. IMO, USB developed counter fraud protection of some sort. My previous experience with fraud was drained card but not this time.

I think USB somehow detected tempering with the card while the card was purchased and somehow blocked it and forced me to call and talk with the rep to be able to get replacement cards.
That is exactly what happened with your card. USB has increased their fraud protection substantially over last few years since their cards were rife with fraud.
I have had cards in past that didn’t work and when called USB they told me that they cancelled card for suspicious activity….such as charging something for $1 to see if card is activated…then BAM card is liquidated ASAP. When USB sees this sort of activity they shut down card and wait for real purchaser and card holder to call to replace card.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by kpe
How is MB VGC from Staples as far as draining is concerned? If it does end up getting drained, is their customer service as good as that of USB for refund or replacement card? Thanks
I never had any fraud issues with MB cards from Staples in long ago past. I also haven’t read anything on FT about MB fraud issues or the resolution thereof. I no longer buy MB cards so can’t comment directly. Simon Mall Visa GC are MB so check out the Simon Mall thread for any fraud issues. I haven’t bought MB in few years.
kpe likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:33 pm
kpe

I never had any fraud issues with MB cards from Staples in long ago past. I also haven’t read anything on FT about MB fraud issues or the resolution thereof. I no longer buy MB cards so can’t comment directly. Simon Mall Visa GC are MB so check out the Simon Mall thread for any fraud issues. I haven’t bought MB in few years.
Thanks. I haven't had any fraud issues with MB VGC so far, but then, I am fairly new to this MS game. Learning from the experts here by keeping my eyes and ears open. Thank you.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:21 pm

Just remember the golden rule of MS with all brands of visa gc…..buy and liquidate ASAP… preferably right after buying them. You rarely get burned with this method but it does happen occasionally.
kingscross likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:44 pm

just buy Vanilla Visa GC at CVS….

where are you liquidating these?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by pao2dapao
where are you liquidating these?
They can be liquidated at any grocery store in my experience….I use Kroger n Safeway brands usually. As a side note….Vanilla GC used at Walmart in past are limited to $50 max swipe since few years ago…but the Vanilla Secure Spend do not have this restriction I’ve read. I don’t bother with Walmart anymore so you may want to check the Walmart thread for more accurate info on SS GC working there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.