Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I don't know man...I don't buy it. Are you sure that there was not even a hint of tampering. A sticker label barcode or some sort of slit or the glue was suspect. There has to be some way the scamsters were able to know exactly when the card was scanned so that they know it has money loaded to it so they can start dumping funds.
That's puzzling to me too, it very well can be an insider job, before packaging.

Originally Posted by GBS2005
Back in June, I bought a VGC from a Ralph's in SoCal. I always check the packaging to make sure they have not been tampered with. I bought it on a Sunday morning but didn't set the pin until the next day. That's when I noticed that the balance was $495 instead of the $500 I had loaded. I pulled up the activity on the website and there was a $5 charge from a Walmart in Minnesota. I called CS and they confirmed the charge in Minnesota so we reported the card as lost. It took 8 weeks to get a replacement card from the time I faxed in the receipts and a copy of the card. I personally think the card was breached before it was packaged.
Both were purchased from Ralphs too, fraudulent charges were few $20 Starbucks gift card purchases and one amazon order on one the card, all online.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:37 pm

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1290841/

I'm starting to think this whole thread should be stickied...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:53 pm

Always take the few extra minutes to full inspect the packaging of the VGC for any sort of slits/cuts on the back of the packaging.
Good advice, but I have 3 US Bank GC that were tampered with. External packaging looked perfectly fine. First indication i had was when I stripped off the packaging and the glue was different.

They did a great job of tampering. I've studied the tampered packages closely and still can't see any external indications.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by seat17D
Good advice, but I have 3 US Bank GC that were tampered with. External packaging looked perfectly fine. First indication i had was when I stripped off the packaging and the glue was different.

They did a great job of tampering. I've studied the tampered packages closely and still can't see any external indications.
But they have to have been able to get inside the card somehow to be able to write down the numbers and re-glue it. I don't know what the USB VGC packaging looks like since I have never bought one before but for the MB VGC packaging the entire outside of the packaging is closed up so it should be obvious if a slit has been made.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:27 pm

it should be obvious if a slit has been made.
USB gc are fully sealed. And I buy the pull-tab series whenever possible.

Obvious? I don't know.

've purchased maybe 1000+ of that variety gc and would like to think I've got a good eye. Yet I was fooled.

Spent more time today examining the packaging. As I suspected, they slit the original edge sealing adhesive, got access to the card, then resealed the edge. I still don't know how they got the card out.

Regardless, the only way I might have figured it out ahead of time would have been to run my fingernail along the edge to check the depth of the seam gluing.

On the compromised cards, the adhesive starts maybe 1/8 of an inch closer to the packaging edge, and has a different texture, than the compromised cards.

Again, all very accomplished.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:40 pm

Similar to a post a coupla' pages back...

While visiting a friend in LA I stopped by a Vons and saw they had a promo for 'buy 2 variable loads, get a $15 coupon', and thought, 'great, I shop at vons for food and stuff'. The topmost card on the rack already had the cardboard ripped off; this concerned me but there were a ton more, so I took the first 10 off, grabbed 2, and replaced the other 10. I informed my cashier about the abnormality.

Anyway, bought both cards, both listed as 'activated' on the little stub/receipt, and the last 4 of each barcode (the decimal version of the barcode being printed on the upper right of the barcode itself) matched. I then went about my day.

While heading home from LA I stopped by a WM to do some business, and found out that one of my two new VGCs wasn't working (tender not valid). Heading back to my car I whipped out my smartphone and checked the balance on the 'bad' card... 'pin cannot be set'. That's an odd error to get, I thought. I called the number on the back of the card and input my card info, 'card not active'. That's not good.

Inspecting both cards, as well as using a VGC from Staples as a tertiary standard, I noticed something odd. So, when you hold up a 'good' card to the light, on the back both the black text and the white BG are 'shiny'; do this with a card and you'll know what I mean. On the 'bad' card, starting just above the decimal printout of the barcode, the card was oddly dull. Running my thumb over the barcode of the 'good' card felt a slightly raised texture to the barcode; this feeling was absent on the 'bad' card. Additionally, there were horizontal striations at the edges of the 'dull' region of the bad card.

As far as I can tell, someone (very carefully) opened the package, sanded/solvent'd off the old barcode and put a new one. When "my" card was activated, a different card was in fact activated. I'm now stuck with an unactivated card, a Vons that refuses to help me by phone, a sympathetic but powerless-to-help-me-without-a-police-report CSR from metabank, and I'm out $500 until this gets fixed.

I guess the takehome is that the thieves are getting more sophisticated, 'cause this goes beyond any 'sticker on the barcode' behavior.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:33 pm

Happened to me few months ago too. Call Safeway and ask for gift card department, they will ask you to email/fax receipt, activation slip and etc, then will send you a replacement. Just follow up with them to make sure they get all they need. They were very helpful.

Originally Posted by tallakahath
Similar to a post a coupla' pages back...

While visiting a friend in LA I stopped by a Vons and saw they had a promo for 'buy 2 variable loads, get a $15 coupon', and thought, 'great, I shop at vons for food and stuff'. The topmost card on the rack already had the cardboard ripped off; this concerned me but there were a ton more, so I took the first 10 off, grabbed 2, and replaced the other 10. I informed my cashier about the abnormality.

Anyway, bought both cards, both listed as 'activated' on the little stub/receipt, and the last 4 of each barcode (the decimal version of the barcode being printed on the upper right of the barcode itself) matched. I then went about my day.

While heading home from LA I stopped by a WM to do some business, and found out that one of my two new VGCs wasn't working (tender not valid). Heading back to my car I whipped out my smartphone and checked the balance on the 'bad' card... 'pin cannot be set'. That's an odd error to get, I thought. I called the number on the back of the card and input my card info, 'card not active'. That's not good.

Inspecting both cards, as well as using a VGC from Staples as a tertiary standard, I noticed something odd. So, when you hold up a 'good' card to the light, on the back both the black text and the white BG are 'shiny'; do this with a card and you'll know what I mean. On the 'bad' card, starting just above the decimal printout of the barcode, the card was oddly dull. Running my thumb over the barcode of the 'good' card felt a slightly raised texture to the barcode; this feeling was absent on the 'bad' card. Additionally, there were horizontal striations at the edges of the 'dull' region of the bad card.

As far as I can tell, someone (very carefully) opened the package, sanded/solvent'd off the old barcode and put a new one. When "my" card was activated, a different card was in fact activated. I'm now stuck with an unactivated card, a Vons that refuses to help me by phone, a sympathetic but powerless-to-help-me-without-a-police-report CSR from metabank, and I'm out $500 until this gets fixed.

I guess the takehome is that the thieves are getting more sophisticated, 'cause this goes beyond any 'sticker on the barcode' behavior.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:43 am

USB gc are fully sealed. And I buy the pull-tab series whenever possible.

Obvious? I don't know.

've purchased maybe 1000+ of that variety gc and would like to think I've got a good eye. Yet I was fooled.

Spent more time today examining the packaging. As I suspected, they slit the original edge sealing adhesive, got access to the card, then resealed the edge. I still don't know how they got the card out.

Regardless, the only way I might have figured it out ahead of time would have been to run my fingernail along the edge to check the depth of the seam gluing.

On the compromised cards, the adhesive starts maybe 1/8 of an inch closer to the packaging edge, and has a different texture, than the compromised cards.

Again, all very accomplished.
So they did make a slit to get access the card like I suspected. Of course I didn't mean that it would be an obvious slit I knew there has to have been a way for the scammer to get access to the card...unless it was an inside job.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:50 am

it should be obvious if a slit has been made.
Of course I didn't mean that it would be an obvious slit
Righhhht.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:01 am

Since my run in with the scam gift cards, I always:

1. Pick cards from the back of the rack.

2. Flick around the edges looking for any loose edges.

3. Overall visual inspection of the placement of the viewable card relative to other packages.

And of course, save all receipts and packaging until after verification that the card worked.

With the scam card I got, I picked it from the front of the rack and didn't really do any kind of inspection. Had I beforehand I would have noticed that the edges had been slit with a razor. Hard to notice, even after knowing it was a scam card.

Again, this should probably be stickied due to the extent and number of people running into this.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Johnnycomeslater
Happened to me few months ago too. Call Safeway and ask for gift card department, they will ask you to email/fax receipt, activation slip and etc, then will send you a replacement. Just follow up with them to make sure they get all they need. They were very helpful.
Great to hear! I followed your advice; I'm now trying to find a fax machine (there's gotta be one 'round here somewhere) and hopefully I'll have my money back shortly. It took a lot of convincing to explain to the CSR though that 'returning to the store to activate the [improperly activated] card' wouldn't do any good...

Originally Posted by Corelli
Since my run in with the scam gift cards, I always:

1. Pick cards from the back of the rack.

3. Overall visual inspection of the placement of the viewable card relative to other packages.
I did these two steps... still got hit (as I said, I pulled from about 10 cards back). Had I been less vigilant, I probably wouldn't have hit the fraudulent card.

I agree, though. There should be a sticky/wiki with:

- All the noticeable signs of fraud on the package/card, and steps to take at the register before activation (e.g. open the WHOLE package, inspect the card for XYZ)
- Signs of fraud post-purchase to look for before leaving the store (e.g. card reports as un-activated via the phone number, mag stripe won't read, etc), and how to tell fraud from 'cashier didn't activate the card [right]'
- What to do if you're a victim of fraud (store and card-issuer dependent; there's a lot of different avenues out there and knowing to call Safeway and ask for GC services as vs calling Metabank was a big difference)

I'm willing to help but not sure how much I can contribute.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:55 pm

Chicago area be on the look out for USB MCGC with exp dates 05/21 and 03/23.

The package tampering is very difficult to detect. (I've spent a couple of hours and had 4 other people look at the packaging. None of us could tell the tampered from the untampered.)

As you open the 03/23 packaging, pry the pin off of the front of the card. Good cards will emit an audible "pop". Tampered cards will give a different crackly sound due to the type of glue the scammers used.

Once you open the package, here's what to look for
- small scratches and scrapes, especially on the right side of the front of the card (presumably from when they razor-bladed the package's glued edge)
- the glue afixing the pin to the face of the gc is the wrong size, shape, location and tackiness

For confirmation, you can check the adhesive holding the glued edge together. On a tampered card, there will be two different layers of glue.

Again, all of the above is noticeable only after you have opened the packaging.

At first I thought I could tell the tampered cards based on examining the glued edge of an unopened package. That has not proven to be reliable.

If anyone else has been able to spot these altered cards based on external issues, please PM me.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:11 pm

The package tampering is very difficult to detect. (I've spent a couple of hours and had 4 other people look at the packaging. None of us could tell the tampered from the untampered.)

As you open the 03/23 packaging, pry the pin off of the front of the card. Good cards will emit an audible "pop". Tampered cards will give a different crackly sound due to the type of glue the scammers used.

- small scratches and scrapes, especially on the right side of the front of the card (presumably from when they razor-bladed the package's glued edge)
- the glue afixing the pin to the face of the gc is the wrong size, shape, location and tackiness

For confirmation, you can check the adhesive holding the glued edge together. On a tampered card, there will be two different layers of glue.

At first I thought I could tell the tampered cards based on examining the glued edge of an unopened package. That has not proven to be reliable.

If anyone else has been able to spot these altered cards based on external issues, please PM me.
How long did it take for the scammers to drain the card as soon as you bought it?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:39 pm

Was the mag strip smooth? On the back, were the lines of the bar code raised and uneven? Some reports noted a very good sticker across the back of the card.

Never thought I'd be happy I live in the boonies. Seems like I'm the only one within 100miles who buys $500 GC.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:53 pm

Visually, the bar code and mag stripe were unaltered. I haven't run the cards through a mag stripe reader, so I cannot say whether it was altered electronically or not.

Cards were drained within roughly 9 hours. The three cards were purchased about 45 minutes apart, but drained at about the same time.

Anecdotally, store managers have told me of cases earlier in the year where "cards were drained before the customer had left the store".

During the week I normally run all of the days cards after supper. Well, that's a gonna haf ta change. lol.

Ran across 3 more bad cards today ... identical alteration pattern. First two were at a store that would not let me check the glue. So I drained those before I left the store. Third one I had manager's permission to break open the packets and caught it before purchase. She was still telling me "the ones with the pull tab can't be tampered" when I showed her the tampered card.

This adds to the time and drama required, both of which I actively work to minimize. <ugh>

So far I'm not seeing any altered Sunrise vgc. Perhaps because their packaging is more tamper resistant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.