Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Causes Resulting in Demise of MS Techniques

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

This thread is meant to relieve clutter for placing blame on a MS technique changing from other threads. Maybe mods can move the posts here.

Do you think it is the Newbies or oldbies fault?

Is it the heavy hitters doing 23.6 million a year in MS fault

Is it the wikis?

Is it the blogs?

is it FT?

This is a good place to complain about it.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:04 pm

its everyones fault but mine
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by VizeL
its everyones fault but mine
We're done here, folks. On to the next agenda item...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:33 pm

Meh. It makes the game more fun. If anything, the constant ups and downs have made me more resilient to change (both good and bad) in other areas of my life.

I've learned to quickly adapt to change, to become relentlessly resourceful, to recognize and seize opportunities, and view obstacles as opportunities.

Yay for life lessons.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:47 pm

I'll bite.
I don't think it's the newbies. I don't think it's the wikis.
It's the blogs' fault only in that they draw more people into the game.
The heavy hitters are largely responsible for what has happened.
Nobody is to blame though. MS is largely a game where it is every person for themselves. Cooperation is usually beneficial, until it's suddenly has disastrous results.
Right now if somebody provided me with a map of exactly where I should go now, that would be awesomely beneficial to me. But once provided with that map, I would have no incentive to ever share it, and doing so could be lethal. Am I in favor of those mapmakers? I am...until I get the map...then they can throw their arrows in the trash.

Nobody's fault. As elsewhere in life, some people are the winners and some people are the losers. The person that used to have wait in line behind us at Walmart is a winner without even knowing it.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, Marriot Plat
I blame myself as I just got a call from WM corporate that they appreciate my "concerned citizen" letters and will put Kate in my closest WM. To make me happy they cannot install Kate with old software
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Moderator's meesage:

I have changed the title of this thread to make it sound more professional and removed several snarky replies. Please use this thread to discuss the causes for the demise of various MS techniques recently.

These types of discussions have a tendency to get out of hand, so please remain on topic and respectful. I am leaving this thread open for now, but it will be closed if there are problems.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:44 pm

blogs and paid seminar by bloggers resulting in everyone onto it
In past few months the no of people doing transactions at walmart while
im there has just increased dramatically'

WM is going to put an end to this pretty soon
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:15 pm

Publicity about deals which you can get "something for nothing."
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:44 pm

The Citi AAdvantage card.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
IMO opinion I believe that there are a lot of organizations that watch these message boards FT, FWF, Reddit, DD's and the blogs. It's well know that Amex watches this board. What is to stop Walmarts financial analysist from doing the same? They read the board and hear how fokes are using XX visa gift card to buy or fill XX product. Walmart obviously loses money somewhere in the financial transaction, it may not be clear to us, but it's enough for them to do something about it.

The solutions is silence. But the reality is that the blogger are making their cut so they won't. reddit is filled with fokes that are jumping ship to come here and other forums and vice versa.

This MS forum should be locked down and only allowed to fokes with more than 100 posts and one year or membership. That may not solve everything but it should keep the trolling down and keep the eyes of the lurking corporations off our little peice of the MS world.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:02 pm

So in my area you have your normal MSers, you noticed how people were hiding VRs at CVS in the Hallmark sections and you would see runs on the $500 cards at OD... then the runs on $200 cards at staples when that was what was left -or- the insane run on HIGC last summer...so I have always kind of had a gauge for the MSers in my area

I noticed a "spike" of Noobs/idiots/whatever about 3 or so months ago, around the time the dweeb bloggers such as MMS started to announce the $2 fee cards at Simon

Now, not saying the Simon thing was the cause, just saying it was about that time that I noticed things.

One of the WM Money Center guys (who knows what I do) was like we got a lot of "greenies" here lately (another term for noobs) having problems asking how to load their gift cards to their BB. I was like hmmm, that sucks.

So of course this is all anecdotal and who knows why things have happened, but I would say there has been a rather large spike in stupid behavior -- now there is always stupid behavior but when stupid behavior spikes in the small college town that I live in, then I'm pretty sure it had spiked all over.

Pretty much things are going to have to go to private G+ hangouts, BBM groups and the private forums -- to be hones I'm shocked that "trick-it"/MR Deals/Hotel deals forums are still going when turds like MightMouseTraveler (dont wanna put his real name or web) just go link em all to his own site and then is dumb enough to go try and call CNN to get his blog some attention.

Really what would all save us the most would be if CC companies would stop their affiliate link policies... I really don't feel all that bad if Gary, Ben et al were left to make less money from ruining deals and needed to make more legit money.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by smedleyb
The Citi AAdvantage card.
Citi Executive AAdvantage card to be exact. And the bloggers pushing a $10k min. spend card to the newbs...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fuerza
This MS forum should be locked down and only allowed to fokes with more than 100 posts and one year or membership. That may not solve everything but it should keep the trolling down and keep the eyes of the lurking corporations off our little peice of the MS world.
I still don't understand why that hasn't been done...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by bmrisko
I still don't understand why that hasn't been done...
I have my own opinion on that that I will keep to myself, but if you look around you might spot the reasoning. In short, something's are done to keep the lights on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.