FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   MO Purchases using OV @ WM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1581146-mo-purchases-using-ov-wm.html)

Brugge Sep 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fico2Go (Post 23531897)
Why is everyone buying OV when there are gazillions of Visa/Master GCs everywhere?
Seems the OV headache is unnecessary.

Are non-vanilla GCs working with Kate today? I'd like to think so, but I haven't seen a single post saying someone had success with them lately. Lots of posts from people putting down the use of OVs, but not a single post saying anything else is working better.

Has anyone had success with Kate with GCs this afternoon? Or for that matter, flawless loading with any type of GC in the last week?

payeco Sep 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by XtraPerks (Post 23531985)
Not sure if Vanilla Visas are more difficult than OV. Didn't have too much trouble with OV yesterday.

They are exactly the same as OVs from a transaction standpoint. It's all a marketing difference. The Vanilla gift GCs are obviously intended to be given as a gift to someone else. OVs are marketed and intended to be for personal use by the purchaser. The payment processor can't tell a difference otherwise.

pointsaholic Sep 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23531891)
Total failure with Kate this afternoon. Did more swipes than I can count, had several cards to try, didn't get anything to load. I was hoping it was a glitch with my local Kate, but based on the posts above, it seems to have been system wide. :eek:

I too, had total failure with Kate tonight. Swiped at least 8 times and no go here at DFW.

Yesterday I had a lot of luck with OV at Kate. The first 3 OVs loaded with only 1 swipe, then others 2 or 3 swipes. The last card yesterday was like 7 swipes.

Makes no sense

The reason I bought the OVs was to be able to buy 5K at ceevee s in one shot.

skibum7732 Sep 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by pointsaholic (Post 23532004)
I too, had total failure with Kate tonight. Swiped at least 8 times and no go here at DFW.

Yesterday I had a lot of luck with OV at Kate. The first 3 OVs loaded with only 1 swipe, then others 2 or 3 swipes. The last card yesterday was like 7 swipes.

Makes no sense

Yet it makes perfect sense to me:D

skibum7732 Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23531993)
Are non-vanilla GCs working with Kate today? I'd like to think so, but I haven't seen a single post saying someone had success with them lately. Lots of posts from people putting down the use of OVs, but not a single post saying anything else is working better.

Has anyone had success with Kate with GCs this afternoon? Or for that matter, flawless loading with any type of GC in the last week?

maybe
possibly
nope all gc's are dead...everyone just move along

Stoughton Sep 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Fico2Go (Post 23531897)
Why is everyone buying OV when there are gazillions of Visa/Master GCs everywhere?

Not as unnecessary as the headache from seeing people continue to spout that there's a gazzillion gift card options for everyone besides vanilla products.

Lobachevsky Sep 15, 2014 7:48 pm

I also had zero success getting Visa Vanillas to work at W-M today. Usually they work 40% of the time on average, exactly as Brugge reported.

Once again, why make such statements here when the explanation has been given many times? Some of us can't buy anything but Vanillas on credit, usually because the stores that sell the other brands don't accept payment for them via credit card or because the quantity we can buy is very limited (like one per day). We're not masochists; we're trying to do what we can given our situation.

barrytuneup Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm

WM

someone clue me in: my 2 WM are older stores in upstate NY and CT. Never had "Kate" or saw a kate.. I assume that is the money machine?... also is the MC different from customer service desk? I load my BB/Serve cards at cashiers when they are not busy (early Am), never a problem. Also can load at CS desk. I must get MO at CS desk, also no problems. And as of 8/25, these old stores upgraded to the new POS terminals. The CS desk does have a sign hanging above it stating BillPay/MO/GC/send money.

granstagna Sep 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by pointsaholic (Post 23532004)

Hence why it's always better to exercise moderation. 5K in one trip is great, but quite problematic if the "easy" way to liquidate it disappear.

ElPresidente Sep 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23531993)
Are non-vanilla GCs working with Kate today?

Yes a page or so back I said so. 2 Metabank VGC from Safeway deposit to BB no problems, as of about 10AM Pacific. However OV didn't work with 8 tries, then you hit a wall of max tries.

Corelli Sep 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Both kates were down for the count today. Will try again Wednesday.

skibum7732 Sep 15, 2014 9:28 pm

About time again for the...Oh no I have 10k in OV's and have no idea how to liquidate...please spoon feed me....waaaaawaaaaaa:p:eek::p:D

payeco Sep 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732 (Post 23532415)
About time again for the...Oh no I have 10k in OV's and have no idea how to liquidate...please spoon feed me....waaaaawaaaaaa:p:eek::p:D

I'm waiting for a 'filing for bankruptcy' posting. Has this happened yet? The schadenfreude would/will be amazing.

Brugge Sep 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 23532572)
I'm waiting for a 'filing for bankruptcy' posting. Has this happened yet? The schadenfreude would/will be amazing.

You don't have skibum set to ignore yet ? Really ? I set him at ignore many months ago. And I'm sure I haven't missed a thing. :cool:

Originally Posted by skibum7732 View Post

"About time again for the...Oh no I have 10k in OV's and have no idea how to liquidate...please spoon feed me....waaaaawaaaaaa"

You can always liquidate OVs by using them as ordinary debit cards, of course. No need to worry. Unless you subscribe to Skibums "the sky is falling" theory. And of course, they are quite workable with Evolve.

PaulMSN Sep 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Sad that some would take glee in any possible misfortune of others.