FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   MO Purchases using OV @ WM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1581146-mo-purchases-using-ov-wm.html)

hamokmonky Sep 15, 2014 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23524066)
Nothing could be more foolish than to load $1500 of OVs at Kate, and then feel superior because you got in the MC line to load the last $500 with a cashier.

There is almost always a line at the MC, and hardly ever a line at Kate. So you're making ordinary shoppers, who have to use the MC and cannot return their purchases etc. thru Kate, wait while you take up the cashiers time doing something you could have done on your own with Kate.

Not to mention, what with all of the failed swipes, workarounds, and times OV just doesn't work for a while, you are all too likely annoying the cashiers doing failed swipe after swipe. Do it at Kate, she doesn't mind repeated swipe attempts. In fact I'm pretty sure she enjoys the attention. Otherwise she is just sitting there all day, bored out of her mind, ignored by all of the people in the MC line.

I dont know why anyone on here wastes their breath over which method is superior to another. Just because your kiosk is empty and your MC is busy doesnt mean the same holds for anyone else, or vice versa with anyone here who has said something similar. Ive stood loading my BB at a kiosk once (for just $2K - two cards, back when limit was 1K/day) and had no fewer than TEN PEOPLE get in line to use the kiosk, while the MC was virtually empty. Also, not everyones MC is also a return center. Almost all of mine have a seperate MC and CS center for returns. Do whatever works for yourself and dont concern yourself with what others are doing, if they are doing it it is obviously working for them, and if it doesnt work for them they will find out very quickly never to do it again.

ericdabbs Sep 15, 2014 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23524044)
Totally disagree. Loading and getting cash are different operations, and do not conflict with each other. A couple of days ago I loaded $1K to BB, and then had a couple of rejected swipes. A woman came up and stood in line behind me. Not wanting to make her wait while I did swipe after swipe, I hit cancel, and stood aside. She got her cash from her ATM card and left. She couldn't have taken more than a minute or two max.

I immediately went back to loading, and in just a few minutes finished my total load of $1999.99. I didn't ask her how much cash she got, but it was certainly way more than $0.01 :p

So loading BB and getting cash from the actual ATM feature do not overlap in the $2K limit. Not to mention almost no one uses my Kate. In all of my visits there, I have only seen 2 people use Kate. The one I just mentioned, and a few months ago a woman who saw me loading BB and asked if I was doing MS. Yes she said she is a FTer. And she knew enough to wait 10 minutes after I was through to start her own loading.

The amount of antagonism, meanness, and sometimes out right vile posting on FT threads lately is astounding. I thought we were supposed to use this site to help each other learn to master the miles and points game. It seems some people just come here to tear others down. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it. I've had to set 3 posters to "ignore'' in just the last 24 hours.

And I'm finding now that people I've never heard from before are PMing me with their questions. I'm pretty sure that's because they don't want to post the questions and get flamed for it. Pretty sad that it's come to this..... :td:

What happens at your WM is definitely not the case in EVERY single WM. What you are proposing is taking a major risk that some other person that might also be doing BB...say loading $50 but not a MSer comes in locks up Kate. Is the risk really that worth it if you have to then wait for Kate to reset assuming the manager has no problem with that?

Your examples above are just 2 instances. That doesn't prove that this is risk free and the correct approach. If you go to the bathroom and some person just so happens to load BB at the same time without you knowing and locks up Kate. What I don't get is why not just let Kate cool down and just go to a cashier to do some more loading while the 10 mins running. I think its a waste of time to sit there for 10 mins waiting for Kate to reset.

usalibido Sep 15, 2014 12:01 pm

My biggest issue with those "$1999.99 loading" people is that pretty much all of the them just leave right after the loading and don't really care what happens after that, which is understandable because the intent is to save "THEIR" time.

payeco Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by usalibido (Post 23529701)
My biggest issue with those "$1999.99 loading" people is that pretty much all of the them just leave right after the loading and don't really care what happens after that, which is understandable because the intent is to save "THEIR" time.

What we need are code magnets that we flip to let the next person know what state she's in. Red side means wait 10 minutes, green side means you're good to go. :D

LRD Sep 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by usalibido (Post 23529701)

Those "$1999.99 loading" people are actually doing you (and everyone else) a favor.

Consider these two scenarios:

FTer "A" loads $500 three times. (Assume two minutes per load, which is pretty accurate considering the multiple swipes now required per card.) Then walks away after 06:00. A "civilian" then immediately attempts to load $500, and hits the velocity limit at, say, 08:00, requiring a reset.

FTer "B" loads $1999.99 with four cards, and walks away after 08:00. Another "civilian" then immediately loads $500 and is successful at 10:01 because the first transaction by FTer "B" has rolled-off the clock.

Brugge Sep 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky (Post 23528924)
I dont know why anyone on here wastes their breath over which method is superior to another. Just because your kiosk is empty and your MC is busy doesnt mean the same holds for anyone else, or vice versa with anyone here who has said something similar. Ive stood loading my BB at a kiosk once (for just $2K - two cards, back when limit was 1K/day) and had no fewer than TEN PEOPLE get in line to use the kiosk, while the MC was virtually empty. Also, not everyones MC is also a return center. Almost all of mine have a seperate MC and CS center for returns. Do whatever works for yourself and dont concern yourself with what others are doing, if they are doing it it is obviously working for them, and if it doesnt work for them they will find out very quickly never to do it again.

Strange that you addressed that to my post, which was a direct response to a number of posts denigrating me for doing $1999.99 at Kate. I didn't set out to tell anyone what to do, just to post what has been working for me, since so many people had posted that Kate hasn't been working for them. I simply wanted to give others a heads up that there are places Kate still works fairly well. Especially if you know what to expect.

In response I got several hateful posts, with charges of being "greedy" and 'shameful' (post 2812), a "moron" (post 2815), and (post 1817} giving a ^ to calling me "greedy" and 'shameful. My post was simply explaining why those insults were incorrect, at least with the way things work at my local Kate.

After all that abuse directed at me, for simply having posted about loading $1999.99 at Kate, you decide to criticize ME, telling me not to concern myself with what others are doing? :confused:

Your comments may well be useful, but ought to have been directed to post 2812, not to my post, which was only in response to the garbage being directed my way for simply letting people know what was working for me, and why I feel doing things this way is appropriate for my location.

usalibido Sep 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by LRD (Post 23529789)
Those "$1999.99 loading" people are actually doing you (and everyone else) a favor.

Consider these two scenarios:

FTer "A" loads $500 three times. (Assume two minutes per load, which is pretty accurate considering the multiple swipes now required per card.) Then walks away after 06:00. A "civilian" then immediately attempts to load $500, and hits the velocity limit at, say, 08:00, requiring a reset.

FTer "B" loads $1999.99 with four cards, and walks away after 08:00. Another "civilian" then immediately loads $500 and is successful at 10:01 because the first transaction by FTer "B" has rolled-off the clock.

You made a big assumption though: Each loading takes about 2 minutes. However, my experience is that lots of them are less than that. Even with OV, once a while you find a lucky day.

LRD Sep 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by usalibido (Post 23529842)
You made a big assumption though: Each loading takes about 2 minutes. However, my experience is that lots of them are less than that. Even with OV, once a while you find a lucky day.

Faster. . . slower, it just doesn't matter for the sake of this discussion.

Someone taking four transactions, rather than three, is going to increase the likelihood of a successful subsequent load, regardless of whether it's 01:30 per load or 02:30.

Brugge Sep 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 23529093)
What you are proposing is taking a major risk that some other person that might also be doing BB...say loading $50 but not a MSer comes in locks up Kate. Is the risk really that worth it if you have to then wait for Kate to reset assuming the manager has no problem with that?

Your examples above are just 2 instances. That doesn't prove that this is risk free and the correct approach. If you go to the bathroom and some person just so happens to load BB at the same time without you knowing and locks up Kate. What I don't get is why not just let Kate cool down and just go to a cashier to do some more loading while the 10 mins running. I think its a waste of time to sit there for 10 mins waiting for Kate to reset.

This is nonsensical. How about if I walk into my WM two minutes after one of these 'non-risk' folks has just loaded $1500? They are now standing in the MC line waiting for a cashier, but I have no idea they were just at Kate. So I try to load my first $500, and Kate locks up. :rolleyes:

What is all this about "risk" anyway? We aren't Secret Agents in Nazi Germany, where one false move may get us executed. :p

We are simply doing minor MS at WM. Before I learned how Kate works, I had Kate freeze up on me the first 4 times I went to load my $2K. Four different managers had to come unlock Kate for me. I didn't really like having to wait for the manager to show up, have them look at me like maybe I'm a crook, and the undue attention that involved. But it really was no big deal, it just wasted some time. Once I found out about Kate's $2K limit, I switched to $1999.99 to save everyone involved the time and hassle.

I've already posted why I don't do the last $500 at a cashier. At MY KATE, not everyone's of course, but at MY KATE, there is never a line. At that specific location, the MC and the returns desk are the same cashiers. So there is always a line at the MC, and never a line for Kate. So if I load with a cashier, I am making people who need to use the returns desk wait, while Kate stands unused. Plus lots of people are reporting problems with loading at a cashier. I figure if OVs are taking 2.5 swipes to load at my Kate, I will have to do at least 2.5 swipes with a cashier, and it may not ever load. All of which will waste the time of the cashier, the people in line, maybe a manager that has to come do an override.

AFAIK, doing it all at MY Kate, now that I understand how the system works, has not caused any problems for anyone. As a previous person posted, you may know what works for you, but why do you presume to know what will work best at MY Kate?

Brugge Sep 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 23529748)
What we need are code magnets that we flip to let the next person know what state she's in. Red side means wait 10 minutes, green side means you're good to go. :D

How about a sign-in sheet? The last BB load was at: (fill in the blank when you finish loading) And a Wiki taped to the top of Kate, explaining why that matters. Maybe including the url of this thread. :D

hamokmonky Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23529817)
Strange that you addressed that to my post, which was a direct response to a number of posts denigrating me for doing $1999.99 at Kate. I didn't set out to tell anyone what to do, just to post what has been working for me, since so many people had posted that Kate hasn't been working for them. I simply wanted to give others a heads up that there are places Kate still works fairly well. Especially if you know what to expect.

In response I got several hateful posts, with charges of being "greedy" and 'shameful' (post 2812), a "moron" (post 2815), and (post 1817} giving a ^ to calling me "greedy" and 'shameful. My post was simply explaining why those insults were incorrect, at least with the way things work at my local Kate.

After all that abuse directed at me, for simply having posted about loading $1999.99 at Kate, you decide to criticize ME, telling me not to concern myself with what others are doing? :confused:

Your comments may well be useful, but ought to have been directed to post 2812, not to my post, which was only in response to the garbage being directed my way for simply letting people know what was working for me, and why I feel doing things this way is appropriate for my location.

dude, chill. Yours was the last one in the sequence talking about what I addressed, and notice I did mention that it was not just you that I was responding to, but to everyone that suggests any which way is the "best" way to ms at walmart.

SkyBuck Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 23529748)

Or one of these.

cdancer20 Sep 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by patrickfungusa (Post 23527439)
The WM system doesn't have the ability to return fund to cards after a MO purchase was cancelled. It happened to me twice. You have to talk to someone from the cash office to get your money back in cash. Good luck.

This isn't true. If the transaction doesn't go to completion on their side, then your money will be returned to your card. It may not always be instantly but I have always gotten my money back within an hour or so. Did you check your balance again the next day?

burdender Sep 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 23530549)
This isn't true. If the transaction doesn't go to completion on their side, then your money will be returned to your card. It may not always be instantly but I have always gotten my money back within an hour or so. Did you check your balance again the next day?

Yes I just checked again and the funds are still at zero on the cards. Was really hoping to not have to deal with WM customer service buts its been since Saturday

hitman1420 Sep 15, 2014 3:49 pm

A good wm in socal just closed its doors to ms. Those in the area should know which one.