FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

compddd Jul 9, 2015 9:03 pm

Does anyone know if Simon counts as department store for Citibank CCs?

travelfreaks Jul 9, 2015 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 25095274)

wishful thinking

Khiaao Jul 10, 2015 4:50 am

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 25095274)

MerchandiseMISCELLANEOUS / SPECIALTY RETAIL STORES

PaulMSN Jul 10, 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Flyby01 (Post 25092557)
No, at least not from a purchase I made from a few days ago. It posted as follows:

Additional Information: BUSINESS SERVICE
Category: Other - Miscellaneous

I also got MISC & SPECIALTY RETAIL SHOPS for Merchant Category on my Simon GC purchase with Discover. I don't think that will count, though.

air360 Jul 10, 2015 11:36 am

I'm still perplexed by how many MO yall seem to be talking about. I've heard time and time again how doing a lot of MO will get your (bank) account(s) shut down...then I read this thread and it seems like people are doing 10-20k/mo with no issues. Do yall have like 10 bank accounts and do one per account or something?

Chelski Jul 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by air360 (Post 25098020)
I'm still perplexed by how many MO yall seem to be talking about. I've heard time and time again how doing a lot of MO will get your (bank) account(s) shut down...then I read this thread and it seems like people are doing 10-20k/mo with no issues. Do yall have like 10 bank accounts and do one per account or something?

First, thanks to those who said go fill out the form of they'll let me. I did that and the only hang up was they wanted one card to be less than $500. I wasn't going to argue when getting over $7k. CS asked if I had done it before and I said yes but never had to fill out the paperwork. CS called manager and that's why I had to do a card under $500. I was just happy the CC went through and didn't cause the process to drag on.

Second, as long as you don't give the banks reason to be suspicious it is less likely for them to take action. If you are causing them to file many reports this might make them not like you as a customer. I personally won't hold funds that I am ready to deposit until another day. If I have over $10k then I'll do that vs splitting it up over 2-3 days.

I use 1 account (95% of the time) but have a couple others opened. I'll use the other accounts if its more convenient went driving by, but only for convenience sake.

I think you mean $10-20k per week not month. $10-20k a month isn't that much especially spread out.

pwd847 Jul 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by air360 (Post 25098020)

I am assuming at least some of those ppl have TCF Bank. They don't care about anything except having your money in their possession. If I was gonna mess with MO's it would be through TCF.

air360 Jul 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by pwd847 (Post 25098154)
I am assuming at least some of those ppl have TCF Bank. They don't care about anything except having your money in their possession. If I was gonna mess with MO's it would be through TCF.

Never even heard of TCF - oh well - learn something new everyday

PaulMSN Jul 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by air360 (Post 25098247)
Never even heard of TCF - oh well - learn something new everyday

I use my local CU. They know me and trust me and it's not been an issue so far. I usually deposit @ $40-60K a month, but it's been as high as $132K.

BostonFlyer1624 Jul 10, 2015 12:52 pm

What is the best way to cash these out? I've been doing the trip to Walmart, but it takes too much time!

Any faster ways? Do this work on Facebook payments?

riverdoglb Jul 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 25098333)
I use my local CU. They know me and trust me and it's not been an issue so far. I usually deposit @ $40-60K a month, but it's been as high as $132K.

To me that's an impressive amount. There may be peeps that do more but WOW. Where the heck are people (you) purchasing MO's in those numbers?

pwd847 Jul 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by pwd847 (Post 25098154)

Arizona
Colorado
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Minnesota
South Dakota
Wisconsin

Electroman Jul 10, 2015 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by pwd847 (Post 25098452)
Arizona
Colorado
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Minnesota
South Dakota
Wisconsin

TCF used to stand for Twin City Federal, which explains their Upper Midwest concentration. I had no idea they had locations in AZ and CO though.

PaulMSN Jul 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by riverdoglb (Post 25098410)
To me that's an impressive amount. There may be peeps that do more but WOW. Where the heck are people (you) purchasing MO's in those numbers?

Mostly WMs -- I go to the out-of-town Simon Mall, buy $9500 in GCs, hit up a suburban WM on the way back for $4000 in MOs, buy $2000 in MOs at the only WM in town that allows it, buy $1500 in MOs at the only Hy-Vee in town that allows it, then go to Target to fill Redcards or get rid of the remaining $2000 at the same WM the next day.

It's much more limited than previously -- two WMs have stopped allowing MO purchases with GCs since I started, and many sources for $500 GCs have dried up. That's why I go all the way to the Simon Mall now.

There are people doing much more than I do.

riverdoglb Jul 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 25098644)
Mostly WMs -- I go to the out-of-town Simon Mall, buy $9500 in GCs, hit up a suburban WM on the way back for $4000 in MOs, buy $2000 in MOs at the only WM in town that allows it, buy $1500 in MOs at the only Hy-Vee in town that allows it, then go to Target to fill Redcards or get rid of the remaining $2000 at the same WM the next day.

It's much more limited than previously -- two WMs have stopped allowing MO purchases with GCs since I started, and many sources for $500 GCs have dried up. That's why I go all the way to the Simon Mall now.

There are people doing much more than I do.

Thanks for the reply. Basically it's a hit and miss on the WM that allow MO with GC. When you purchase $4000, is it $1000 per MO with split tender using 2 $500 GC? I'm always nervous at the money center asking for split tender. Guess I need to grow a pair.:D