FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

BostonFlyer1624 Jul 21, 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 25149564)
Which SM and which WM are you going to? Guessing by your username you're in the Boston area?

A Walmart without a machine. Have to wait in line. South Shore.

Does the SM or WM change anything?

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 25149564)
Check request online?

What do you mean by this?

MileageGoblin Jul 21, 2015 10:34 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 (Post 25149753)

Don't feed the trolls. Those that can reason know you meant feeding Serve/BB and then doing a bill pay or BB check request.

MileageGoblin Jul 21, 2015 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 25147421)
I don't have a data point with respect to the issue you had, but I do know they shave upgraded their systems. Processing 18-20 cards take about half the time it used to take (at least at my location in NOVA). The lady who helps me confirmed they upgraded their system. It's nice going in and them already having the form filled out for you....

Ahh, I did notice they already filled out the form for me when I called in ahead on the first purchase on Saturday. First time they had ever done that. Not a big fan of that as the first CSR put the reason as "Credit Card points, Gifts, etc." (I usually only put "Gifts").

If anyone is buying some SMGCs this week, please ask (if you don't mind) if they have to key in all your information into the system and if this is a new policy.

DVDBob Jul 21, 2015 11:39 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 25150313)
If anyone is buying some SMGCs this week, please ask (if you don't mind) if they have to key in all your information into the system and if this is a new policy.

I don't know about keying in anything, but the following happened to me last week:

Thursday - $2K. Susan asked that I filled out a form, but that people do this all the time so it was no big deal. She tells me anything $1K+. Form filled while Susan rang up cards. No verification. Asked if I want sleeves, told me I have to get at least 1.

Friday - $5K. Penny asked that I fill out a form. Told her I have one on file, she said it didn't matter, they like to have a separate form for each purchase and that people do this all the time. Also confirmed 1K+ limit for form. Form filled while Penny rang up cards. No verification. Asked if I want sleeves, told me I have to get at least 1.

Saturday - $5K. Penny was at desk again. She recognized me and immediately pulled out form. This time she said she had to call in to get authorization for anything over 1 GC. ($500) Call took about 1 minute - I could hear her say the amount, that she gave me the form, and that I wanted Visa brand cards. No other information was given over the phone. Then she waited until I filled out the form, then asked to see my ID and she verified my info. Made me wait to provide GCs before I signed bottom of form. Each card required a sleeve and she told me they just had a big meeting and that the sleeves and forms are all federal requirements.

I'm just doing MS to meet some spending limits on new cards, but hoping the SMGC pool doesn't dry up.

Happy Jul 21, 2015 11:58 am

Originally Posted by DVDBob (Post 25150666)
I don't know about keying in anything, but the following happened to me last week:

Thursday - $2K. Susan asked that I filled out a form, but that people do this all the time so it was no big deal. She tells me anything $1K+. Form filled while Susan rang up cards. No verification. Asked if I want sleeves, told me I have to get at least 1.

Friday - $5K. Penny asked that I fill out a form. Told her I have one on file, she said it didn't matter, they like to have a separate form for each purchase and that people do this all the time. Also confirmed 1K+ limit for form. Form filled while Penny rang up cards. No verification. Asked if I want sleeves, told me I have to get at least 1.

Saturday - $5K. Penny was at desk again. She recognized me and immediately pulled out form. This time she said she had to call in to get authorization for anything over 1 GC. ($500) Call took about 1 minute - I could hear her say the amount, that she gave me the form, and that I wanted Visa brand cards. No other information was given over the phone. Then she waited until I filled out the form, then asked to see my ID and she verified my info. Made me wait to provide GCs before I signed bottom of form. Each card required a sleeve and she told me they just had a big meeting and that the sleeves and forms are all federal requirements.

I'm just doing MS to meet some spending limits on new cards, but hoping the SMGC pool doesn't dry up.

Because the sheet of T&Cs is stuck inside the sleeve. Long time ago it was a pain to watch a CSR stuck each card into the sleeve because he had no idea the folded sheet had a glue stuck to the inside wall of the sleeve - only one side was "obstacle free" to let the card go in... Office manager exempted us to not get the sleeves several months ago. Unfortunately it looks we are going back to strict compliance which would most likely stay.

Amex For Children Of Africa Jul 21, 2015 1:27 pm

I did $1.5k today and she said she had to call and "get approval." She first put the cards through, I payed with my CC, and signed the receipt, but she held back my ID and CC and made a quick call. She didn't talk to anyone, and I watched her input my CC numbers over the phone using the keypad. Took about a minute and she handed me everything back. No form to fill, but the call was weird.

AndrewTheMan Jul 21, 2015 2:03 pm

I ALWAYS get sleeves but as I have butter fingers, a medical condition I might add, I always forget them on the counter.

cdancer20 Jul 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 (Post 25149753)

I did not understand what you meant by check request online. It was not a "trolling" question as some ridiculous people have said. I just have never heard this term.

macrophage Jul 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25150775)
Because the sheet of T&Cs is stuck inside the sleeve. Long time ago it was a pain to watch a CSR stuck each card into the sleeve because he had no idea the folded sheet had a glue stuck to the inside wall of the sleeve - only one side was "obstacle free" to let the card go in... Office manager exempted us to not get the sleeves several months ago. Unfortunately it looks we are going back to strict compliance which would most likely stay.

At one of my Simon malls, I still haven't convinced any of the reps to not put the cards into the sleeves. I was glad to take the sleeves and the cards separately, but they insisted that they put them in themselves and write the date and amount on each one. WHY?! I'm just trying to help, guys! You all know I take them right out at the bench right after.

nivekious Jul 22, 2015 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa (Post 25151285)
I did $1.5k today and she said she had to call and "get approval." She first put the cards through, I payed with my CC, and signed the receipt, but she held back my ID and CC and made a quick call. She didn't talk to anyone, and I watched her input my CC numbers over the phone using the keypad. Took about a minute and she handed me everything back. No form to fill, but the call was weird.

I've had that too. The only thing I can think of is that the phone gives them the name that should be on the CC in case you somehow changed it?

Amex For Children Of Africa Jul 22, 2015 7:18 am

Originally Posted by nivekious (Post 25153754)
I've had that too. The only thing I can think of is that the phone gives them the name that should be on the CC in case you somehow changed it?

Maybe. The reason I thought was to store your card number on file to see how much you purchase over time from that specific card? The old lady working first asked me if this was for "gaming," and I had no idea what she was talking about, but she meant credit card points.

cdancer20 Jul 22, 2015 7:27 am

Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 25153032)
At one of my Simon malls, I still haven't convinced any of the reps to not put the cards into the sleeves. I was glad to take the sleeves and the cards separately, but they insisted that they put them in themselves and write the date and amount on each one. WHY?! I'm just trying to help, guys! You all know I take them right out at the bench right after.

LOL. Yea I've heard some reps insist that they have to do it this way. Then another couple that are like "would like 4-5 in one sleeve?" Then they wrap them in a rubber band.

kingrat Jul 22, 2015 10:19 am

My wife and I do $2900 each every saturday and no forms unless it is over 3k

DVDBob Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am

Even my own experience is YMMV as I just did another 5K last night - no call, no ID check, 1 sleeve. :)

MileageGoblin Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am

Originally Posted by DVDBob (Post 25150666)
Saturday - $5K. Penny was at desk again. She recognized me and immediately pulled out form. This time she said she had to call in to get authorization for anything over 1 GC. ($500) Call took about 1 minute - I could hear her say the amount, that she gave me the form, and that I wanted Visa brand cards.....

Interesting. Did she say your name on the phone? I called in advance for my Saturday pick-up so I don't know what the rep did before I got there. I'm interested to see if they are then keying in our form information now into the computer (or at least some information). Sounds like Simon is beefing up its anti-ML documentation program per FinCen.