Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:14 pm

Staples store #1 : bought 2 blue VGCs @ $200 ea. w/ Chase Ink Plus; got rebate slip with receipt

1hr later Staples store #2: bought another 2 blue VGCs @ $200 ea w/ same Chase Ink Plus ; did not get rebate slip
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by guywhocan
Staples store #1 : bought 2 blue VGCs @ $200 ea. w/ Chase Ink Plus; got rebate slip with receipt

1hr later Staples store #2: bought another 2 blue VGCs @ $200 ea w/ same Chase Ink Plus ; did not get rebate slip

I bought 3 sets of 2x $200 cards today at two different stores with my ink. Got rebates on all 3 transactions.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by guywhocan

You don't need the rebate slip. Just enter the 17 digit code at the bottom of your receipt (its just below the barcode).
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
You don't need the rebate slip. Just enter the 17 digit code at the bottom of your receipt (its just below the barcode).
The rebate slips didn't print at my local store either. Processed online just fine with barcode # though.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Staples was right across our favorite restaurant so after lunch, I stopped by to get my first 2 VGCs. The cashier asked me if I had a Staples GC I wanted to use to pay for the fees. I had one with $11.xx left and she applied it to my total. I didn't know they took Staples GC for VGC purchase but I'm glad the manager taught me something new today
Since the fees appear separately from the actual cost of the VGC on the sales receipt, that would make sense that they would take Staples GC to pay for the fees while the exclusion of using them as VGC payments still hold. Thanks for the tip. Looks like there's another way to use those Staples GC other than buying actual office supplies.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:06 am
Suspended

Purchase must be made within required timeframe and MUST be submitted online or postmarked by dates noted above. The Terms and Conditions of this Visa Prepaid Card offer are available at a Staples Store Service Desk or at https://rebate.staples.com/staples/rules.action. To submit online go to www.stapleseasyrebates.com and follow the instructions. To mail your rebate: For a STAPLES STORE PURCHASE: Send ONLY the completed ORIGINAL rebate redemption form printed from the cash register, the ORIGINAL submission form printed from www.stapleseasyrebates.com, or the ORIGINAL PDF submission form provided by a Staples store. Keep a copy of your documents for future reference.

... does this mean I can say screw it and send a bunch of forms without proof that I bought the cards?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Purchase must be made within required timeframe and MUST be submitted online or postmarked by dates noted above. The Terms and Conditions of this Visa Prepaid Card offer are available at a Staples Store Service Desk or at https://rebate.staples.com/staples/rules.action. To submit online go to www.stapleseasyrebates.com and follow the instructions. To mail your rebate: For a STAPLES STORE PURCHASE: Send ONLY the completed ORIGINAL rebate redemption form printed from the cash register, the ORIGINAL submission form printed from www.stapleseasyrebates.com, or the ORIGINAL PDF submission form provided by a Staples store. Keep a copy of your documents for future reference.

... does this mean I can say screw it and send a bunch of forms without proof that I bought the cards?
Absolutely. that is exactly what that means.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan

What do you think people who commit tax return fraud do? They submit forms that contain false information in the hopes that they slip through the government's automatic processing. The difference here is that you're doing the act against a private entity instead of the government.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Staples was right across our favorite restaurant so after lunch, I stopped by to get my first 2 VGCs. The cashier asked me if I had a Staples GC I wanted to use to pay for the fees. I had one with $11.xx left and she applied it to my total. I didn't know they took Staples GC for VGC purchase but I'm glad the manager taught me something new today
Technically this is against policy but the registers have never been hard coded for Staples GC to pay for GC's or their fees.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:01 am

I have yet to see the "blue" version of the VGC at my local Staples stores.

I've maxed out my limits on purchasing them and all of them were the yellow/gold packaging.

The forms printed out and I also got my AMEX offer emails, so I'm happy.
Waiting for next week's ad to see if there will be a similar offer before I max out my AMEX offers on the other cards.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Does same name with different address equate to a different household?
I have submitted a bunch of these rebates. I have had my rebates rejected due to

-same name but different address.
-diff name, diff address but same phone number

so now when i submit multiple rebates, i will put a different phone number, name, and address. I am unsure how staples rejected my submission that has the same name but diff address, it could be from the fact that i bought it from the same store.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by danielsan127
I have submitted a bunch of these rebates. I have had my rebates rejected due to

-same name but different address.
-diff name, diff address but same phone number

so now when i submit multiple rebates, i will put a different phone number, name, and address. I am unsure how staples rejected my submission that has the same name but diff address, it could be from the fact that i bought it from the same store.
Same name "implies" the same household in the rebate system. This is true for most of the rebate processing companies.

There is a certain threshold of names per zip code. I don't know how they determine this.... either public record or statistics.

Best to be safe and use different EVERYTHINGS where possible.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:09 pm

If I use the same credit card to purchase multiple VGC but used different name, address, phone number, etc for each rebate, do you think that would work?

Just want to make sure people didn't rejected just because the same credit card was used to purchase them.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by rdeca
If I use the same credit card to purchase multiple VGC but used different name, address, phone number, etc for each rebate, do you think that would work?

Just want to make sure people didn't rejected just because the same credit card was used to purchase them.
I got my rebate after 3x$400 VGC purchases with a same card in a same store.
2 rebates submitted by snail mail, one online. 3 different names, addresses, emails and phone numbers. The same last name though.
This time 2 rebates submitted online from home and work computer. We'll see.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
The rebate slips didn't print at my local store either. Processed online just fine with barcode # though.
My rebate slips didn't print either. Does anyone have the easy rebate ID number for this offer handy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.