Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: NW Plat, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I think you are confused . I said Staples GCs, not Staples VGCs. But either way to answer your question the Staples VGC rebate cards do not have PIN access so they can't be used to load BB. You can only use them for regular spend. Typically its just $20 in value so I don't find them lucrative anyways.
This might sound a little off topic at first, but hear me through---

I've been a swagbucks.com member for almost a year now. For those not familiar with the site, they offer various ways of accumulating their form of currency--SBs or SwagBucks which can be held on to until you have enough to cash in on a choice of gift cards. Unlike many places that offer gift cards as rewards, Swagbucks offers a "Paypal GC", essentially a cash deposit into your PP account. (With cash as an option, I'm not sure why anyone would opt for a merchant specific gift card when their "prices" are exactly the same... whether you choose a $25 Target GC, $25 Starbucks GC, a $25 RedRobin GC... you "pay" the same 2500 SBs as a $25 Paypal deposit.)

Anyway, they recently added a new option--virtual prepaid Visa Cards. By virtual.. there's no snailmailing out plastic, you simply get sent a code that sets up an account which issues a digital image of the card. There is a big restriction--they can only be used for online/phone orders. Just this past week they tweaked their rules to offer 2500 SB level cards for only 2200 SBs... any of them EXCEPT the Paypal option. I decided to check out the virtual Prepaid Visa. The image looked like a real Visa card and I noticed it had "Debit Card" printed on the front. It also had my name printed on it...it wasn't a generic prepaid Visa/MC that every other store in the country is selling.

That got me thinking, could I "cash it out" linking it as debit card on Bluebird. Checking out Bluebird's T&Cs, the salient terms are:

To successfully link a debit card to your Bluebird Account:
1. The debit card must be in your name.
2. The billing address associated with your debit card must match the billing address on your Bluebird Account profile.

There's nothing in there that specifically disqualifies the linking of a prepaid Visa Debit card. What appears to forbid the use of prepaid cards purchased at retail establishments is rule 1, as they're always purchased with a name like "A GIFT FOR YOU" or "GIFT CARD RECIPIENT". I gave it a shot and it worked like a charm--instantly had the money credited to my Bluebird account.

So how this relates to the current topic... it got me to wondering about the Staples Rewards Prepaid Visa cards Staples sends out for most of their Easy Rebates. As its been mentioned by a few people here, they offer no option to set a PIN, a requirement for using a debit card at WM to load BB. It's a different story using a linked debit card online to load your account--they don't ask for a PIN. Staples Rewards cards are however, issued in the name used when submitting the rebate--embossed on the front like any bank issued debit card. I have a stack of them totaling just over $1K I'd like to zero out as quickly as I can, given a $3.00 monthly maintenance fee kicks in after 6 months. I can't find a single mention of from anyone who's tried this or even considered the idea.

Comments?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:54 pm

Be careful about changing linked debit cards to Bluebird... pretty sure they'll shut you down after you switch out a couple.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by LAXFlyer00
There's nothing in there that specifically disqualifies the linking of a prepaid Visa Debit card.
That doesnt stop bb/serve/rb from telling you prepaids are not allowed. We've been there done that, this has been tested with other prepaids that do have your name on it (rebate cards, etc). They are NOT allowed. You really think that bb, having been around for years, that this hasnt been tried?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by LAXFlyer00
This might sound a little off topic at first, but hear me through---

I've been a swagbucks.com member for almost a year now. For those not familiar with the site, they offer various ways of accumulating their form of currency--SBs or SwagBucks which can be held on to until you have enough to cash in on a choice of gift cards. Unlike many places that offer gift cards as rewards, Swagbucks offers a "Paypal GC", essentially a cash deposit into your PP account. (With cash as an option, I'm not sure why anyone would opt for a merchant specific gift card when their "prices" are exactly the same... whether you choose a $25 Target GC, $25 Starbucks GC, a $25 RedRobin GC... you "pay" the same 2500 SBs as a $25 Paypal deposit.)

Anyway, they recently added a new option--virtual prepaid Visa Cards. By virtual.. there's no snailmailing out plastic, you simply get sent a code that sets up an account which issues a digital image of the card. There is a big restriction--they can only be used for online/phone orders. Just this past week they tweaked their rules to offer 2500 SB level cards for only 2200 SBs... any of them EXCEPT the Paypal option. I decided to check out the virtual Prepaid Visa. The image looked like a real Visa card and I noticed it had "Debit Card" printed on the front. It also had my name printed on it...it wasn't a generic prepaid Visa/MC that every other store in the country is selling.

That got me thinking, could I "cash it out" linking it as debit card on Bluebird. Checking out Bluebird's T&Cs, the salient terms are:

To successfully link a debit card to your Bluebird Account:
1. The debit card must be in your name.
2. The billing address associated with your debit card must match the billing address on your Bluebird Account profile.

There's nothing in there that specifically disqualifies the linking of a prepaid Visa Debit card. What appears to forbid the use of prepaid cards purchased at retail establishments is rule 1, as they're always purchased with a name like "A GIFT FOR YOU" or "GIFT CARD RECIPIENT". I gave it a shot and it worked like a charm--instantly had the money credited to my Bluebird account.

So how this relates to the current topic... it got me to wondering about the Staples Rewards Prepaid Visa cards Staples sends out for most of their Easy Rebates. As its been mentioned by a few people here, they offer no option to set a PIN, a requirement for using a debit card at WM to load BB. It's a different story using a linked debit card online to load your account--they don't ask for a PIN. Staples Rewards cards are however, issued in the name used when submitting the rebate--embossed on the front like any bank issued debit card. I have a stack of them totaling just over $1K I'd like to zero out as quickly as I can, given a $3.00 monthly maintenance fee kicks in after 6 months. I can't find a single mention of from anyone who's tried this or even considered the idea.

Comments?
The point of linking a debit card for online debit card load is that you are NOT swapping out debit cards so frequently. No one gives a crap that you have your name on it because we all know those virtual VGCs or any real plastic VGC is a one time dump anyways. Sure you might be able to get away with linking it once or twice in a short time but Amex is going to see that you are constantly swapping out debit cards and that is what is going to raise the red flag. Its only a $25 VGC so I don't even know why you even bother with linking it...just use it for everyday spending. If I am going to link a VGC for online debit card load it better be at least $200 or $500 VGC. But you can do what you want to do.

I am fully aware of swagbucks but you are wrong in that all the $25 GCs are 2500 SB. The $25 Amazon GCs and plenty others store brand GCs (non Paypal) only cost 2250 SBs for the first one in each month. But again its one of those things you ask yourself if you want to use an additional 250 SB to get PP Cash back. If you earn a ton of SBs per month then yes if all things equal I would opt to get the Paypal Cash GCs option. I'll be lucky to get more than 2500 SBs per month anyways so I don't think its a big deal its just matter of preference.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:12 pm

New rebate starting week of Sunday 3/15. Buy $250 in VGC, get a $20 rebate GC.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILGfly
New rebate starting week of Sunday 3/15. Buy $250 in VGC, get a $20 rebate GC.
I was beginning to lose hope.

Has anyone ever written about the best strategies to avoid the "one household" limit? I send a few cards to friends and family (most of which I ultimately retrieve), but I'd love to have a better method. It does seem like they make some effort to enforce this rule.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:55 pm

How do you send to another address? I thought they tracked the credit card? Or do you just put a different easy rebate account/address?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by waygora
How do you send to another address? I thought they tracked the credit card? Or do you just put a different easy rebate account/address?
I snail mail all of my rebates. Lately even different names and different addresses were still getting denied as 'more than one per household'. I don't know if they're tracking IP addresses or what. Submitted via snail mail they all seem to always get approved.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Has anyone ever written about the best strategies to avoid the "one household" limit? I send a few cards to friends and family (most of which I ultimately retrieve), but I'd love to have a better method. It does seem like they make some effort to enforce this rule.
They enforce it for sure. I usually do 3-- one to my address and one to each of my parents 2 homes. I recently found out my uncle does the same-- one to his home and 2 to my parents. Last time, I missed out on the rebates because he did it first. I received a postcard from Staples indicating that there's a limit per address. The 2 previous times, he missed out.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
They enforce it for sure. I usually do 3-- one to my address and one to each of my parents 2 homes. I recently found out my uncle does the same-- one to his home and 2 to my parents. Last time, I missed out on the rebates because he did it first. I received a postcard from Staples indicating that there's a limit per address. The 2 previous times, he missed out.
hahaha that is quite funny

i only have a couple of addresses i can use... it's a pretty effective method of enforcing the limit
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I was beginning to lose hope.

There is no strategy to avoid the one household limit, so of course no one has ever written about it. Sending cards to friends and family doesnt violate the one household limit because infact they are another household.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:27 am

How do you guys liquidate your staples rebate gift cards. I have a $15 card that got declined as both credit and debit at Wal-Mart yesterday. I called and verified that the balance was still $15. Is it better to just pick a different store to use it at?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trubador
How do you guys liquidate your staples rebate gift cards. I have a $15 card that got declined as both credit and debit at Wal-Mart yesterday. I called and verified that the balance was still $15. Is it better to just pick a different store to use it at?
I used to get rid of them on Amazon Payments, but that obviously doesn't work anymore. See if you owe money to anyone that you can pay online with debit cards. I pay down my USAA auto insurance policy every month with the "junk" gift cards I get from rebates like this. I remember using them at Walgreens, too, and they would tell you the balance if you didn't have enough left on the card.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by trubador
I use them to load Redbird or Amex for Target and just run it through as credit if it asks for a pin.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by bewareofduck
I use them to load Redbird or Amex for Target and just run it through as credit if it asks for a pin.
will it drain the balance of the card and ask for another form of payment, if you purchase something that costs more than the card balance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.