Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing and understanding Vanilla cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
There are non OV VGCs that are $4.95
Yup. I did that mistake this morning. Grab 2 Vanilla visa thinking it was 4.95. It was 5.95. It's the one with the nicer glitter packaged. I guess it cost $1 for the fanciness. Next time I'll find the one that are 4.95.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by rdover1
With one important difference. The former is $5.95 / $500 card and the later is just $4.95.
Some Vanilla gift cards are $4.95 and some are $5.95. It depends on the design.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by sosamo
The first 2, you choose your Pin on first use. Gowallet, you have to create it online after you create a username/password.
Or use the last 4 numbers of the card
Old May 30, 2018, 10:42 am

Vanilla vs OneVanilla

Trying to figure out what the differences are, especially in relationship to MS. I've got one of each in front of me, both purchased this past week from Sam's Club. In this case, both are mastercards.

Vanilla is a gift card. OneVanilla is a prepaid mastercard. I've been using these terms (and "gebit") interchangeably. I guess I should be more careful But what's the difference?
Vanilla issued by Bancorp and serviced by InComm. OV issued by Metabank and serviced by Incomm. Is this true for all Vanilla & OV cards?
Vanilla never mentions OneVanilla. OV sometimes says OV, sometimes says Vanilla. Both use the same logo.
According to the wiki, Walmart rejects Vanilla for >$49.99. Does it also reject OV? Or does it depend on which bank issued the card?
Vanilla has the word "GIFT" printed on it. OV does not. So I guess if you're worried about the CSR seeing the card, OV is better. But that may just be the design of these particular cards.
Vanilla has "debit" written on the front. OV has it in hard to read print on the front, and easy to read print on the back. Again, that may just be these designs. In either case, they're both still debit cards.
Vanilla has the card number and exp date printed on the card. OV has them in raised print.

For others confused, be aware there's also a "MyVanilla" card, which is reloadable.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:30 am

afaik, as of Q3 2017, variable vanilla fees including OVs have been raised to $5.95 at MOST drugstores. I still have a CVS with racks full of old cards with $4.95 fees that I buy using 0BC. They also have racks with the higher fees but I choose those with the lower fees. WAG near me all sell the ones with $5.95 fees. Auto Zone used to sell vanillas with $4.95 fees since last year but beginning April 2018, they removed the GC racks at most, if not all stores
Old May 30, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
afaik, as of Q3 2017, variable vanilla fees including OVs have been raised to $5.95 at MOST drugstores. I still have a CVS with racks full of old cards with $4.95 fees that I buy using 0BC. They also have racks with the higher fees but I choose those with the lower fees. WAG near me all sell the ones with $5.95 fees. Auto Zone used to sell vanillas with $4.95 fees since last year but beginning April 2018, they removed the GC racks at most, if not all stores
I've been buying the $4.95 OV's that are still available at WAG. But as of a month ago, even though the packaging says $4.95 fee, they ring up as $5.95 fee. Tried purchasing the $4.95 OV's at multiple WAG's and they all ring up and charge $5.95 fee.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:06 pm

Thanks for the thread link. It's from 2014 and in 4 years is an eternity in MS. But I think the main point of that thread sill stands - for all practical MS purposes, there is no difference.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:08 pm

Just to doublecheck - Walmart dislikes both Vanilla and OneVanilla, correct?
Old May 30, 2018, 5:32 pm

Yes, WM will reject OVs over $49.99
Old May 30, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Just to doublecheck - Walmart dislikes both Vanilla and OneVanilla, correct?
I tried a one vanilla the other day at WM and it still did not work over 49.99. I tried to swipe for 500. I buy vgc at WM with my one vanillas because WM is my only liquidating option and the GDvgc work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.