Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Dollar General $500 OneVanilla Gift Cards - Success story

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dollar General $500 OneVanilla Gift Cards - Success story

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
What is considered as "too many"? Do u mind sharing how much u were depositing in each of the 2 banks that have asked u to close accounts?
I think there are multiple variables. My local C.U. has been grilling me with questions each time I deposit a MO. And I only deposit one $1,000 MO per month there. I've done 3-4k in a month at my other bank and they don't bat an eye. I know other FTers do much more than that.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ljderm
I am pretty sure that Dollar General does not accept AMEX. At least in my area.
Memphis/Nashville
Yup..I went to the DG store and my purchase for OV would not go thru and then she noticed I was using an amex card and said they do not accept amex. However the DG site states that they do accept it. Might be a store to store policy?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold;DL GM
Originally Posted by cricfan777
Yup..I went to the DG store and my purchase for OV would not go thru and then she noticed I was using an amex card and said they do not accept amex. However the DG site states that they do accept it. Might be a store to store policy?
Was your OV purchase ok with a Visa/MC?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:32 pm

Forgive my ignorance all, but I've been searching for a while and this is related. Can you load a OV to a BB through a WM kiosk?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by pockyflyer
Forgive my ignorance all, but I've been searching for a while and this is related. Can you load a OV to a BB through a WM kiosk?
Yes, that, or MO's at any of the outlets that accept debit cards
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
I think there are multiple variables. My local C.U. has been grilling me with questions each time I deposit a MO. And I only deposit one $1,000 MO per month there. I've done 3-4k in a month at my other bank and they don't bat an eye. I know other FTers do much more than that.
What kind of questions do they ask you? Also what are your typical answers to the questions you get grilled on. I think it should be none of their freakin business if its just $1K/month.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Attempted VR at DG a couple of months ago and the rack was full of dummy VR -like what you would pick up and take to the cashier at Costco. None of the clerks knew where to find an actual VR. Told me the rack was serviced by an outside vendor and they had never seen these before. It was in a sketch area of town, so I haven't gone back to see if they put real VR's on the rack.

Edit: Almost forgot - Welcome!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Yes, that, or MO's at any of the outlets that accept debit cards
Thanks for the response! I guess you can't slim it down to just one trip to buy your OV at WM, then go put it in your BB when done, right? I was reading somewhere that WM doesn't accept CC's for GC's. True?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:07 pm

What is considered as "too many"? Do u mind sharing how much u were depositing in each of the 2 banks that have asked u to close accounts?
I was making daily deposits totaling in the $1k-$5k range and withdrawing the balance every few days. This was back before I found the forums and understood about SARS and the like. I can usually go for about 8 to 9 months before my banks start to ask questions so I'm probably due for another account closing soon. I think most MSers who go the MO route spread their deposits around different banks/CUs, but I think this reduces operating efficiency too much so now I'm working on manufacturing a business as a cover for my manufactured spend. I'm hoping with a business account and a legitimate reason for depositing large amounts of MOs the banks won't get in my way so much. We shall see.

Originally Posted by woodburyhome
Attempted VR at DG a couple of months ago and the rack was full of dummy VR -like what you would pick up and take to the cashier at Costco. None of the clerks knew where to find an actual VR. Told me the rack was serviced by an outside vendor and they had never seen these before. It was in a sketch area of town, so I haven't gone back to see if they put real VR's on the rack.

Edit: Almost forgot - Welcome!
I think you can only use the VRs at DG to load your prepaid card at the register, but I've never tried because I think they can only be purchased with cash.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:44 pm

What kind of questions do they ask you? Also what are your typical answers to the questions you get grilled on. I think it should be none of their freakin business if its just $1K/month.
Yea, they are really nosey and give me the heebie jeebies everytime I go in there. I might just use them as an online source to transfer funds.

Let's see. . .

The first time I bought an MO for $999.30. The teller looks at it and says "What was this for?. . . . . Rent?. . . . " This was the first time I was faced with a direct question and I waffled a bit and mumbled something. She then said "999.30 is an odd amount." I said there is a 70 cent charge so the cost rounded out to $1,000. Later, FT members said she was giving me the rent line as bait to feel me out- and in the future I should confidently tell the truth. Also, I never order odd figure MOs anymore.

The tellers at this CU look at the MOs carefully. I scribble an illegible signature for payer, yet the last teller still asked "did you buy this MO for yourself?" My answer: "Yes, I did." Maybe she matched up the address on the MO with my address on file?

Other questions:
"Where did you buy this MO". My answer "Walmart, next town over".
"Did you make this out to yourself". My answer: "Yes, I did."

I'm tempted to say my girlfriend is a stripper and I don't like carrying around a stack of 20s. Maybe that would shut 'em up.

My other two banks in town seem like they couldn't care less. We talk about the weather, sports etc. while they go through the motions.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ljderm
Was your OV purchase ok with a Visa/MC?
I didn't try. I was trying to liquidate my amex gc.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by learning2fly
I was making daily deposits totaling in the $1k-$5k range and withdrawing the balance every few days. This was back before I found the forums and understood about SARS and the like. I can usually go for about 8 to 9 months before my banks start to ask questions so I'm probably due for another account closing soon. I think most MSers who go the MO route spread their deposits around different banks/CUs, but I think this reduces operating efficiency too much so now I'm working on manufacturing a business as a cover for my manufactured spend. I'm hoping with a business account and a legitimate reason for depositing large amounts of MOs the banks won't get in my way so much. We shall see.

I think you can only use the VRs at DG to load your prepaid card at the register, but I've never tried because I think they can only be purchased with cash.
Using a business account will certainly reduce any problems with money orders. It will present a new problem tho. The IRS may want you to explain how you aren't paying any taxes on what appears to be your hugely profitable business.

Yes, you can likely get out of the audit unscathed, but are you sure that you want to try?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Premier
UPDATE!

*****UPDATE******

First, thank you everyone for their warm welcomes to FT and your responses and discussion on this thread.

I have been alternating buying VGC's at Dollar General and Walgreens. I just attempted to make a purchase at Dollar General and the clerk asked if it was a credit card I was planning to use. I said yes, and he said I had to use cash or debit. I asked him if we could try anyway, and he said no, that he can get in trouble. This is what really surprised me:

He proceeded to show and read out loud an official-looking email printout. I'm paraphrasing, but the gist was "Effective immediately all gift cards and reload cards can only be purchased using a debit card or cash. Please sign below indicating you understand this policy" and below was a list of 6 or 7 signatures, presumably signatures of the staff. The clerk said he just signed it this morning.

This, along with the news that OD is now only accepted cash, makes me wonder how long before all retailers transition to a cash-only policy when it comes to buying gift cards.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by freshpoints
*****UPDATE******

First, thank you everyone for their warm welcomes to FT and your responses and discussion on this thread.

I have been alternating buying VGC's at Dollar General and Walgreens. I just attempted to make a purchase at Dollar General and the clerk asked if it was a credit card I was planning to use. I said yes, and he said I had to use cash or debit. I asked him if we could try anyway, and he said no, that he can get in trouble. This is what really surprised me:

He proceeded to show and read out loud an official-looking email printout. I'm paraphrasing, but the gist was "Effective immediately all gift cards and reload cards can only be purchased using a debit card or cash. Please sign below indicating you understand this policy" and below was a list of 6 or 7 signatures, presumably signatures of the staff. The clerk said he just signed it this morning.

This, along with the news that OD is now only accepted cash, makes me wonder how long before all retailers transition to a cash-only policy when it comes to buying gift cards.
DG is still YMMV. A couple months ago, two local DGs had similar memos posted on the register. I don't think the registers are hard-coded, so they grill into the cashiers that is cash/credit and the registers don't take credit.

One time, a cashier insisted that the register would not accept credit. She got angry when I asked if she could try. She said she was a manager and was absolutely certain the registers reject credit. I was tempted to show my receipt from the day before (where I paid on credit on the very same register she was standing behind).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by freshpoints
*****UPDATE******

Yep, and this too is happening at grocery/CVS/etc... Merchants are paranoid of fraud at every turn & the more rampant difficult/clueless buyers become (not the OP), unfortunately, the more stores will be implementing it. You might try finding a different store, or a different avenue altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.