Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kroger Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by BigB985
Most likely. They normally do a "Dad's and Grad's 4x promo for gift cards".
Agreed. Kroger has become fairly predictable offering each 4x promo roughly around the same time of the year as in previous years.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Be aware that ordering cards on Kroger.com via Gift Card Mall can take some time.

I ordered $300 in Amazon gift cards yesterday to hit the last day of the 4X and pull in some fuel points since I had an Amazon order ready to go anyway. As they're delivered as e-certificates via email AND since their FAQ says 4 hours is the normal timeframe for delivery, it would be quick and easy. 24 hours later my card has been charged but still no email. Calls to customer service (GCM) say up to 72 hours.

Seems ludicrous that an electronic exchange medium is slower than driving up to the store and picking up physical cards.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Seems ludicrous that an electronic exchange medium is slower than driving up to the store and picking up physical cards.
Online credit card transactions take longer because there is more fraud since you don't need the actual card. That is why credit card companies charge a greater transaction fee for online orders than physical purchases.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: tink928
Cautionary Tale for all of you

The forums are littered with cautionary tales so here is another one. I was on my way to the airport which is 2.5 hrs away in Ohio. On the way, I decided to purchase some visa gift cards from a Kroger. The cashier was super friendly and sold me 8 $ 500 visa gift cards. I used my prepaid Amex cards to pay. She entered my DL info in the system and off I went. I called the customer service number for visa and changed all the card PINs. No issues. Then I tried to use one of them, it wouldn't authorize. I found it weird. I tried another one, same issue. I thought may be, I need to change the PIN again. Did that on all the cards, no message of any kind. It all went through fine. Tried the cards again today, same message.

Now, the first thought was, i have been a victim of some kind of fraud. So, I called Visa customer service. Come to find out, I have been a victim alright, but a victim of Kroger!! Kroger put a fraud alert on the cards and put a hold on them! So now, the store manager wants me to travel 2 hrs to her store with all the Amex prepaid cards I used (which I threw away!) all the time admitting on the phone that it was the cashier's mistake! I don't even know what's the mistake here. Cashier took down the license info as they do all the time!

So, now I have 8 cards that can't be used and the store manager will not budge. Any suggestions?

I have learnt my lesson. I normally never throw out receipts but once Amex cards are used up, there is no use for them. Apparently, that is turning out to be a huge mistake.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by tinku928
The forums are littered with cautionary tales so here is another one. I was on my way to the airport which is 2.5 hrs away in Ohio. On the way, I decided to purchase some visa gift cards from a Kroger. The cashier was super friendly and sold me 8 $ 500 visa gift cards. I used my prepaid Amex cards to pay. She entered my DL info in the system and off I went. I called the customer service number for visa and changed all the card PINs. No issues. Then I tried to use one of them, it wouldn't authorize. I found it weird. I tried another one, same issue. I thought may be, I need to change the PIN again. Did that on all the cards, no message of any kind. It all went through fine. Tried the cards again today, same message.

Now, the first thought was, i have been a victim of some kind of fraud. So, I called Visa customer service. Come to find out, I have been a victim alright, but a victim of Kroger!! Kroger put a fraud alert on the cards and put a hold on them! So now, the store manager wants me to travel 2 hrs to her store with all the Amex prepaid cards I used (which I threw away!) all the time admitting on the phone that it was the cashier's mistake! I don't even know what's the mistake here. Cashier took down the license info as they do all the time!

So, now I have 8 cards that can't be used and the store manager will not budge. Any suggestions?

I have learnt my lesson. I normally never throw out receipts but once Amex cards are used up, there is no use for them. Apparently, that is turning out to be a huge mistake.
Have you tried calling amex? Maybe they can look up the card numbers from your last order?
Old May 1, 2015, 9:38 am

You can get the transaction history online using Amex website.
Go to my orders to get the GC #s and then "check balance and see the transaction history"
Old May 1, 2015, 9:47 am

which of the amex prepaids did you use? sad to say, CS of prepaids (especially if based overseas) lack training which I expect they should know better than I do but alas, not the case on several occasions I called them. I had to find means to get directed to US based rep to get my issue resolved.

If the issue is with Kroger, try to exhaust all means for the manager to help you; if at any time you feel you're just going in circles, that is the time to give hints you're going to seek consumer protection services OR you'll contact Kroger HQ for DM intervention in case the manager won't budge. Good luck and keep us posted of developments.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:30 am

Check Gift Cards Fraud thread and there is somewhere 3-4 weeks ago a direct Kroger number you can call and try to fix it. I think that number should be on your receipt as well if you still have it.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: tink928
Update - Talked to Kroger customer service. They apparently have a dedicated prepaid card department - 866 544 8062. However, they said the exact same thing that I will have to go back to the store. They couldn't care less if it was store's fault. They sent me back to the corporate customer service who wouldn't even give me the DM's info! I left the complaint with the corporate customer service where I was assured that it will be forwarded to the corporate headquarters. Next stop CFPB. I do understand that I am an ant in front of these 800lb corporate behemoths, but I will rattle it a little bit even if in the end, I may have to go back to the store.

I still dont have a resolution to the missing prepaid amex card. Yes, I can see the activity online, but the store manager wants me to bring the physical card with me. I did manage to find a couple. Rest of them are probably in a landfill...
Old May 3, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I just left Food 4 Less on Cicero Ave in Chicago. I was trying to take advantage of the $15 off of $50 in Groupon GC's. I was surprised to hear cash/debit only. Anyone used this store recently?

I was only doing a $100 transaction!
Old May 4, 2015, 2:46 pm

I bought bby gift card last week and went to bby to buy visa gift card, but cashier did not allow me to buy any GC with bby GC. I have done this before many times including last month. Any work around to cash out?
Old May 4, 2015, 3:42 pm

4x Fuel Points this Fri/Sat/Sun on GCs - must load coupon
Old May 4, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gshumaker
4x Fuel Points this Fri/Sat/Sun on GCs - must load coupon
Under the "general" group on the Kroger app.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by edbyu
Under the "general" group on the Kroger app.
Thanks for clarifying !! ^
Old May 5, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by mak101
I bought bby gift card last week and went to bby to buy visa gift card, but cashier did not allow me to buy any GC with bby GC. I have done this before many times including last month. Any work around to cash out?
Try again. Happened to me once - firm 'no' from cashiers at 2 different stores. Came back the next day - no issues. That was about 6 months ago, never a problem since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.