Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bluebird vs. serve

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

bluebird vs. serve

does anyone have a good summary of the differences pros/cons betweens the two?

from what I can tell on a simplistic level they are basically the same besides for a few things

1) bluebird - can reload at walmart, while serve can now reload at 7/11 / CVS
2) bluebird - provides the ability to write checks (don't have to rely on billpay), while serve only provides billpay
3) serve provides access to some other ancillary amex benefits

but besides that, they seem to be relatively the same including in the amounts one can load onto them. wondering if I'm missing anything obvious.

I've found some old pro/con lists, but they don't seem to be that accurate anymore so hoping others can fill me in.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
I asked the same question today on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...tart-here.html

You are right, except that BB max is 5k/month, while Serve is a little more(see the wiki)
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the nice reponse. now just need to decide if the check writing feature has enough value to me vs. the inconvenience of walmart vs. convenience of CVS.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:56 pm

I think you should first check if your local CVSs / 7-11s accept load with CC. There is no point of having Serve if you can't load it with CC.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Excellent thread. I am also in the process of choosing one.

Which of these two is cheaper?

How accurate is this article?

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmile...bird-vs-serve/
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:31 pm

BB is good if you need/want checks or have a non-drugstore source of VRs.

Serve is good if you get category bonuses at drugstores or have a non-drugstore source of MPs.

If you use non-drugstore GCs, it really comes down to whether CVS or WM is closer.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:39 pm

HHmm..how accurate is this:

Load via prepaid card BB: Vanilla Reload cards only. Up to $1000 per day, $5000 per month
SERVE: MoneyPak cards only. Up to $500 per day, $2500 per month.

If this is the case, why do Vanilla Reload card has SERVE printed on the front of the card? I haven't tried loading VR to my Serve account yet. But I assume you can.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
HHmm..how accurate is this:

Load via prepaid card BB: Vanilla Reload cards only. Up to $1000 per day, $5000 per month
SERVE: MoneyPak cards only. Up to $500 per day, $2500 per month.

If this is the case, why do Vanilla Reload card has SERVE printed on the front of the card? I haven't tried loading VR to my Serve account yet. But I assume you can.
Not accurate. You can load serve with the same things that you can load BB with, plus more.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:42 pm

I love that I can load VGC's to BB via walmart without any questions or being asked to show my "debit cards". But I find trying to load Serve at CVS with anything other than your credit card is difficult because they often ask to see the card. It get's a little awkward when you hand them an AMEX GC or VCG even if it has your name on it… usually results you getting shot down.

If I need to unload a bunch of VCG's I prefer BB since I try to stay away from MOs. Serve is a nice tool for just doing credit card swipes. Sadly, I'm starting to find that CVS who don't let you buy VR's with CC are also not letting you load Serve with CC. It's nice to have access to both BB and serve.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:54 pm

I found the answer.....
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:29 pm

Has anyone used the "old" AMEX Blue Cash card to reload Serve (to get the 5%) at CVS?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You can have Serve send a payment to anyone, and they will write and mail the check.
You can use a CC to load at CVS,
You do not have to look for Bean Cards.
You do not have to walk into or try to find a parking space at WM,

I will take CVS over WM any day, and you can load 500 on one card and load 500 on another CC to your Serve Account tell the cashier the last 4 numbers and walk...

In my area WM's are depressing to walk into.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by anagoree
Has anyone used the "old" AMEX Blue Cash card to reload Serve (to get the 5%) at CVS?
Stop asking this everywhere and read the serve thread.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:30 pm

My wife and I both had BBs. We recently switched to SERVE to avoid the $3.95 fees for VRs. The free loading with CC at CVS is awesome and we didn't need the checks that came with BB.

I had rather have a root canal than go to WalMart.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
Not accurate. You can load serve with the same things that you can load BB with, plus more.
You can load VGCs to Serve?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.