FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Old School Amex Prepaid Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1556273-old-school-amex-prepaid-card.html)

nwflyboy Jul 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11 (Post 23185270)
Tried yesterday, does not work anymore....

Nah. Must be user error.

I just loaded one no more than a minute ago and it went fine, same as before, no problems. Confirmed successful on both the loading and also the receiving end.

These are not terribly lucrative, so nobody should be heartbroken if they don't have any, but if you sockdrawered one, it should still work same as before.

digital330 Sep 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by recklessmax (Post 22920381)
Thanks for the details. One more question - Can this card be loaded at walmart like the serve and bluebird without fee ?
or via rapid reload with 3.74 fee ?

Can the Amex Prepaid card be loaded at WMT with Rapid Reload?

nwflyboy Sep 24, 2014 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by digital330 (Post 23577949)
Can the Amex Prepaid card be loaded at WMT with Rapid Reload?

No.

BADELAYS Sep 25, 2014 7:40 am

Loads

Is there any way to load this card now? I don't have access to VR. Based in the Northern Virginia region. I have 2 of these from good ol' days

I need to run up some spend and would appreciate any advice via PM.

GetawaysRus Sep 25, 2014 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by BADELAYS (Post 23579377)
Is there any way to load this card now? I don't have access to VR. Based in the Northern Virginia region. I have 2 of these from good ol' days

I'm interested as well. I still have my AmEx PrePaid, and I like it primarily for use when traveling (especially internationally). I use it as a backup ATM card. I need to reload it one of these days.

I'm just back from a recent trip to Europe. My main bank is Chase, and I called Chase prior to the trip to notify them of travel. I have a plain vanilla Chase ATM card (not a Chase debit card). When I got to Venice and tried to withdraw money from an ATM, Chase blocked my ATM card. Fortunately I had the AmEx PrePaid with me, and that worked fine for ATM withdrawals (up to the $400 daily ATM withdrawal limit).

For anyone who uses Chase Bank, why did Chase block my ATM card? I learned after I got home that the standard limit on a Chase ATM card is only $300 withdrawal per day. (If you have a Chase debit card, the limit is $500.) You can request a higher daily withdrawal limit, but I had never done so. Since I was in Europe, and Euros go for 1.3 dollars each, it is quite easy to exceed that $300 limit on the ATM card. So Chase immediately blocked my ATM card when I tried withdrawing more than 200 Euros in one transaction.

rdover1 Sep 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Only alternative is GD if you can buy one by CC.

Originally Posted by BADELAYS (Post 23579377)

GetawaysRus Dec 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1 (Post 23581386)
Only alternative is GD if you can buy one by CC.

GD won't be allowed after January 2015. I received the following message via email today:

We are writing to inform you of a change to the terms and conditions of your American Express® Prepaid Card Account. Please review the change below and share it with any Subaccount users:

o Beginning February 1, 2015, you will no longer be able to purchase Green Dot® MoneyPak® to load cash onto your Card.

o Beginning April 1, 2015, Vanilla® Reload PIN will no longer be available to purchase.

You can still add money to your account in other convenient ways including Direct Deposit and linking an existing checking account or savings account.

So this may put the final nail into the coffin for the AmEx PrePaid card.

avagyan Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am

Just got this email, is there any value to card now or might be in the future?
They've stopped loading with MoneyPack, right? Did anyone tried loading at the register, for example at CVS?

We have closed your American Express® Prepaid Card Account due to inactivity.

To protect our customers’ security, we regularly monitor account activity and close any Accounts that have been inactive for more than one (1) year, as stated in your Card Member Agreement.

Please note that the Available Balance in your Account is zero, and you are not required to take any action at this time.

If you have any questions, please call us anytime at 1-866-207-7970 and we’d be happy to help you.

Thank you,

The American Express® Prepaid Card Team

Lappie Jul 17, 2015 10:48 am

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 25132147)
Just got this email, is there any value to card now or might be in the future?
They've stopped loading with MoneyPack, right? Did anyone tried loading at the register, for example at CVS?

We have closed your American Express® Prepaid Card Account due to inactivity.

To protect our customers’ security, we regularly monitor account activity and close any Accounts that have been inactive for more than one (1) year, as stated in your Card Member Agreement.

Please note that the Available Balance in your Account is zero, and you are not required to take any action at this time.

If you have any questions, please call us anytime at 1-866-207-7970 and we’d be happy to help you.

Thank you,

The American Express® Prepaid Card Team

I got the same email.

livestrongforever Jul 17, 2015 2:23 pm

I got the same Email. oh well. I forgot about it.

cruisr Jul 17, 2015 7:19 pm

pretty worthless except

They are great for traveling or I should say will still be good until October. I have always liked these as the first ATM withdrawal a month is free. I have two cards and I travel a lot. I transfer money from my checking account onto my card. I then use it at the ATM at my destination. The last trip I was on I put 600. on the card. I made 3 withdrawals. As the first was in June and the second in July they were both free. I was going thru cash quicker then I usually do so I needed one more ATM withdrawal, That cost me $2.00. I ended up taking out a total of 599.87 at a cost of 2.00. The ATMs I used in England and in Austria were all no fee for withdrawals. Also the currency conversion is at the official bank rate.

For me it been the cheapest way to get foreign currency without tons of fees, commissions and unfavorable rates.

cyclotron Jul 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 25134413)
They are great for traveling or I should say will still be good until October. I have always liked these as the first ATM withdrawal a month is free. I have two cards and I travel a lot. I transfer money from my checking account onto my card. I then use it at the ATM at my destination. The last trip I was on I put 600. on the card. I made 3 withdrawals. As the first was in June and the second in July they were both free. I was going thru cash quicker then I usually do so I needed one more ATM withdrawal, That cost me $2.00. I ended up taking out a total of 599.87 at a cost of 2.00. The ATMs I used in England and in Austria were all no fee for withdrawals. Also the currency conversion is at the official bank rate.

For me it been the cheapest way to get foreign currency without tons of fees, commissions and unfavorable rates.

I use a Schwab account and debit card for this. All ATM withdrawals are free and they also refund any fees that the TM may charge.

aradisc Jul 18, 2015 5:53 pm

I had completely forgotten that this existed. Had one to access Amex presales on Ticketmaster before I was in the CC game.

Just checked and I have a few bucks still on it. Better than finding a quarter on the sidewalk!

tontod Jul 18, 2015 8:22 pm

When I was at simon mall a few days ago to buy visa GCs, I saw they had a bunch of amex prepaid cards in the drawer. I didnt get around to asking them about it. Wonder if I can buy those with a credit card and if those have ATM access?

ChuckHH Jul 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by aradisc (Post 25137805)
I had completely forgotten that this existed. Had one to access Amex presales on Ticketmaster before I was in the CC game.

Just checked and I have a few bucks still on it. Better than finding a quarter on the sidewalk!

Is there replacement card available for these? I see that I have the account with a few dollars but don't remember where I placed the card...