FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Old School Amex Prepaid Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1556273-old-school-amex-prepaid-card.html)

avagyan Jul 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Called to see if can resurrect it, they won't budge but here is some info of potential interest rep gave me:
This product doesn't exist anymore;
After Oct 2015 there will be a fee of $5 (except for the residents of New York, Vermont and Arkansas)
Moneypacks (IDK now or from Oct 2015) will work but only from Walgreens. I've asked if swipe-reload will work too, he said yes.
Thanks for giving an idea of using as an international ATM card, I'm planning to send it overseas and see if a relative can take out of ATM. Please let me know in NYC met area if you see some of these on the shelves and be careful with the fee from Oct.

jk2 Jul 21, 2015 9:30 am

I got different e-mail, about new fees starting October and no-fee first ATM withdrawal. I wonder since the card is not used for long time, should I call them to close it or can they close it automatically as "dormant"?

avagyan Jul 21, 2015 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 25149900)
I got different e-mail, about new fees starting October and no-fee first ATM withdrawal. I wonder since the card is not used for long time, should I call them to close it or can they close it automatically as "dormant"?

It's not usual Amex CS. Wait was 20 minutes. Send them a message may be

avagyan Aug 7, 2015 8:51 am

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 25146015)
Called to see if can resurrect it, they won't budge but here is some info of potential interest rep gave me:
This product doesn't exist anymore;
After Oct 2015 there will be a fee of $5 (except for the residents of New York, Vermont and Arkansas)
Moneypacks (IDK now or from Oct 2015) will work but only from Walgreens. I've asked if swipe-reload will work too, he said yes.
Thanks for giving an idea of using as an international ATM card, I'm planning to send it overseas and see if a relative can take out of ATM. Please let me know in NYC met area if you see some of these on the shelves and be careful with the fee from Oct.

I wonder if it becomes the new green serve
http://outandout.boardingarea.com/th...id-debit-card/

BTW, I found a single old stock of what I thought was Amex Prepaid card and wanted to create a new account, but it happened to be just regular Amex Variable Load card. So if you see in walgreens or rite-aid something visually close blue packaged card, it's not that. Moreover Amex rep said that even if you'd be able to find the old prepaid card you wouldn't be able to register and request permanent card because the registration is shut down even for the new family member accounts for current holders.

josephstern Aug 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 25149900)

Wondering the same thing. Think it will go negative? I've got nothing in there. In fact, I never used it. I think MVD came about right when I got this, so that sucked up my VRs at the time.

dingo Aug 17, 2015 8:42 am

I wonder the same thing. I have to admit, I'm trying to remember why in the world I even got this card to begin with. For the life of me, I forget the value of it.

andyandy Aug 17, 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 25282904)
I wonder the same thing. I have to admit, I'm trying to remember why in the world I even got this card to begin with. For the life of me, I forget the value of it.

If I recall correctly, it was initially loadable by VRs and offered pretty good ATM access. But that was many moons ago. With all the notices Amex is sending me (multiple letters, multiple e-mails for each card) about the new fees, I can't help but wonder if there's still some value proposition with them. It's just seems like Amex is trying awfully hard to get me to close them.

Andyandy

dingo Aug 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Yes. That's why hat it was. Back when the vanillas were available at office supply stores I believe.

Jesusdyd4u Aug 18, 2015 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 25282904)

If it's the card I think you mean, it came with a free $25 on the card, and you were allowed up to 3, I believe.:)