FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Old School Amex Prepaid Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1556273-old-school-amex-prepaid-card.html)

Fire_Fly Feb 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Old School Amex Prepaid Card

I still have an Amex Prepaid Card (the one that was hot back when VR's were at OD) that has been gathering some dust, due to many other options these days.

Does anyone still use their Amex Prepaid? I used to simply load it with VR (via Ink at OD) and then actually use it for (gasp!) real spending. However, I'm more interested in BB, ATM, MO, Billpay, etc these days.

I know I can withdraw 400/mo each month for free (minus the cost of the bank's atm). Does anyone know which ATM's have the lowest (or no) fee?

Is this how those of you who still have this card use it?

FF

Zamboni Driver Feb 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fire_Fly (Post 22438416)
I still have an Amex Prepaid Card (the one that was hot back when VR's were at OD) that has been gathering some dust, due to many other options these days.

Does anyone still use their Amex Prepaid? I used to simply load it with VR (via Ink at OD) and then actually use it for (gasp!) real spending. However, I'm more interested in BB, ATM, MO, Billpay, etc these days.

I know I can withdraw 400/mo each month for free (minus the cost of the bank's atm). Does anyone know which ATM's have the lowest (or no) fee?

Is this how those of you who still have this card use it?

FF

I still use mine regularly for purchases and ATM W/D. Until my Citi TYP promo expired this month, I would load it with VRs and get effectively 5x on all purchases. I didn't use it for any important purchases where extended warranty coverage would be important. Never did any restaurant spend on it either, that went to CSP. I also have a fee-free ATM nearby.

Once I get back on the 5x train in a month via WF, i will continue with this approach. It sure beats 1x or even Barclays 2.2x.

FT-hss Feb 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Had totally forgotten about this vehicle ;)

zeppoloveskafka Feb 28, 2014 7:57 pm

yep, use it regularly. Wawa is fee free, so I just use ATM. With a 5% card, I have no issues eating the ~$2 ATM fee to generate some extra spend.

MsArbi Mar 1, 2014 4:31 am

Deleted.

goblue77 Mar 1, 2014 7:48 am

Used to maximize them even with the $2 fees after the freebie. However, I decided to just load one bean/month and save the fees. If you have Quickchek nearby, they have surcharge free ATMs. It's an uneasy feeling withdrawing that much cash where people can see you.

GetawaysRus Mar 1, 2014 8:11 am

Still use mine. But I admit that I run much less money through this account than my BB.

In the USA, Costco has low fee ATMs ($1.25 per transaction).

For travel abroad, I bring this card and use it to get cash from ATMs. As in the USA, the first $400 withdrawal each month has no fee from AmEx (but you do pay a fee to the bank that owns the ATM). Subsequent withdrawals have a small fee from AmEx. I'm going to Europe in August-September, so that will be roughly 300 Euros that I can pull off this card in both August and again in September with no AmEx fee.

You can also add it to your Amazon account if you wish.

recklessmax May 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Where can one check the balance and transaction history for these old school amex prepaid cards. I cant find the link anymore

dukerau May 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by recklessmax (Post 22920119)
Where can one check the balance and transaction history for these old school amex prepaid cards. I cant find the link anymore

americanexpress.com/prepaid. Scroll down past Serve advertisement, click the left-most Login link. Scroll down past Serve advertisement on new page, click Login > I ordered a card for myself.

recklessmax May 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 22920251)
americanexpress.com/prepaid. Scroll down past Serve advertisement, click the left-most Login link. Scroll down past Serve advertisement on new page, click Login > I ordered a card for myself.

Thanks for the details. One more question - Can this card be loaded at walmart like the serve and bluebird without fee ?
or via rapid reload with 3.74 fee ?

yugi May 24, 2014 9:56 pm

I load this card with Green Dot, then spend at Costco, as Costco only accepts Amex. Basically giving me 4% cashback at Costco and Costco gas. It's hard to beat that!
Recently I've seen another Amex prepaid which is sold at Rite Aid. It's called Amex secure card. Looks very similar to the old one. Purchase price was $5.95.

FTR 787 May 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 22920251)

Originally Posted by recklessmax (Post 22920119)

for some reason, this just doesnt work for me.

I hadnt used this card in a long time, prolly a cpl yrs... I know it works (its active,) cause it had a balance and I used it recently for a purchase. but cant seem to login and manage it online. called CS they asked me to do the same thing as your post above (create a new account) -- that didnt work, errors out. ideally I'd like to attach it to the same username as my AMEX CCs, which btw I had to create a new account to manage em cause my previous account didnt work. I got the prepaid first before I got any AMEX CCs and created my online amex account to manage that prepaid.

so the system sees the old username/account in the database but wont let me sign in and use it any longer for some reason.

prasha11 May 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 22439537)
yep, use it regularly. Wawa is fee free, so I just use ATM. With a 5% card, I have no issues eating the ~$2 ATM fee to generate some extra spend.

Originally Posted by MsArbi (Post 22440934)
Sure do. Once a month like clockwork.

Look for CU ATM networks. They tend to be fee free.

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 22441682)
Still use mine. But I admit that I run much less money through this account than my BB.
You can also add it to your Amazon account if you wish.

How U guys load the money on to the card?

36902BRF May 25, 2014 8:39 am

[QUOTE=FTRox87;22920447]but cant seem to login and manage it online. called in CS they asked me to do the same thing as your post above (create a new account) -- didnt work, errors out. i/QUOTE]

I think they are killing off the card. I purchased one locally at a store that still had them in stock a couple months back. I tried to register it every which way on that site and it was a dramatic fail. Indian based customer support was no help. They were able to register my address so I could use it online but I was never able to load any funds to it or create an online account to manage it. In the end I just cleared out the minimum funds on the card and called it a day.

FTR 787 May 25, 2014 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF (Post 22921733)

Originally Posted by FTRox87 (Post 22920447)
but cant seem to login and manage it online. called CS they asked me to do the same thing as your post above (create a new account) -- didnt work, errors out.

I tried to register it every which way on that site and it was a dramatic fail. Indian based customer support was no help. They were able to register my address so I could use it online but I was never able to load any funds to it or create an online account to manage it. In the end I just cleared out the minimum funds on the card and called it a day.

exact same experience... cant use my old account to manage it and cant create new account to manage this prepaid either.

and cant even link it to the new account that I created for my CCs (I had to create it cause I couldnt login to the old amex account that I made for this prepaid back in the day)... india based csr was clueless, no help at all. so I just drained this prepaid and it sits idle now.

would like to put it back into some kinda MS rotation since I have it, its active and works.