FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1555831-stores-sell-500-gcs-up-2019-a.html)

killercut May 6, 2016 9:26 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 26584257)
I believe they are onevanilla. I don't use them for serve or any of that stuff, serve kicked me out.

I just buy them and then use them for everyday expenses. Gotta float the cash.

wouldn't it just be easier to use the credit card for everyday expenses, heh.

statesmokes409 May 6, 2016 9:27 am

Originally Posted by XP1 (Post 26584490)
Bancorp. No MetaBank.

But more importantly, Incomm

TMM1982 May 6, 2016 9:28 am

Originally Posted by killercut (Post 26585577)
wouldn't it just be easier to use the credit card for everyday expenses, heh.

Not if I'm unsure I'll meet min spend within the 90 days. When I'm balancing trying to hit min spend on 3 or 4 different cards, some cards get neglected.

killercut May 6, 2016 9:30 am

u need a wife or gf, lol

TMM1982 May 6, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by killercut (Post 26585601)
u need a wife or gf, lol

ha, my money is my money :p

ff.volker May 8, 2016 11:22 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 26585593)
Not if I'm unsure I'll meet min spend within the 90 days. When I'm balancing trying to hit min spend on 3 or 4 different cards, some cards get neglected.

If you don't churn too many cards over the year you buy GC in the 90days to meet minimum spend and use them over the rest of the year.

When the Freedom card offered 10% for up to $1500 in Amazon purchases people added them to their Amazon gift card balanced which gets slowly drained over the year. Similar with Target offers. You might not be able to do this on a huge scale over the year, but you can cover a lot of your regular spend this way.

TMM1982 May 8, 2016 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ff.volker (Post 26594457)
If you don't churn too many cards over the year you buy GC in the 90days to meet minimum spend and use them over the rest of the year.

When the Freedom card offered 10% for up to $1500 in Amazon purchases people added them to their Amazon gift card balanced which gets slowly drained over the year. Similar with Target offers. You might not be able to do this on a huge scale over the year, but you can cover a lot of your regular spend this way.

Indeed

Prometheus77 May 14, 2016 8:10 am

My local Hannaford put all their VGCs back on the GC rack this week after keeping them behind the service counter for the last 6-8 months during which they only sold them via "Cash and Debit Card only". They recently upgraded to chip readers so I figured that's why they put them back on the GC rack. I took one to the register with my groceries Thursday afternoon for a test and the cashier asked what amount I wanted on it and let me use my CC to purchase everything without issue.

I went back Friday morning to buy a couple more and got told by a different cashier that the policy is "CASH ONLY". I asked about purchasing with a debit card and she said "The policy is cash only, no debit, on Visa, MC, and AMEX GCs". On the way out I asked the one of the employees I'm friendly with in the parking lot gathering the shopping carts if he knew anything new about being able to buy VGCs with a CC since he also works the registers and the chip readers are now working to which he told me he'd check and let me know next time I see him, but he thought they were going to allow VGC purchases with CCs again once the chip readers were working.

Seeing that I bought one the day before with my CC I think that the new POS software upgrade isn't hard coded against CC purchase, but the employees have still been told not to allow purchase with a CC. I have my fingers crossed that they go back to CC sales, but I know they got hit with VGC fraud last year that added up into the six figure range according to online news articles so I wouldn't be surprised if they are still gun shy about taking VGCs for them.

gamzarme May 16, 2016 11:30 pm

Feels weird

Today I did something that I haven't ever done before. This afternoon after disposing of $2000 OVGCs from CVS at 7 FDs (3 denies), I stopped into the grocery store.

Up until a month or so ago S&S was generally easy picking. Now the policy's debit/cash only for Visa/MC/Amex GCs. Fatefully, the rules aren't against using CC with merchant GCs.

Today I bought my first "amazon gift card" for five-hundred dollars. It's a pretty big deal. I've now just committed to buying things that I may or may not need, all for 2500 UR points. And all I can think about is the other two 2500 opportunities left on that card. And then the other 2 Freedoms I have, and their three x 2500s apiece! It's all like a giant, on-going promotion for consumerism.

pdxuser May 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Deleted

krazykanuck May 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by gamzarme (Post 26636915)
Today I bought my first "amazon gift card" for five-hundred dollars. It's a pretty big deal. I've now just committed to buying things that I may or may not need, all for 2500 UR points.

Last year to max out the 10% on Amazon I sent my mom an Amazon gift card that she paid me back for since she had already maxed out her freedom card :D

My Amazon balance is finally about to run out after the Q4 madness last year.

kangoljas1 Jun 1, 2016 1:20 pm

Add Food City in Virginia and Tennessee to the list of stores that sell $500 VGC.

vwks2006 Jun 11, 2016 10:31 pm

http://www.target.com/p/400gc-6-fee-...d/-/A-17214227

6 dollar fee - 5 dollar coupon: TGT4DN9P

= 401 total price pre-unloading for 400.. pretty dang good. Except limit is one. If you go slowly but surely you can get a good amount of the cards coming in. Placed 2 orders tonight because I have some spend to do on a Marriott card. 800/for this one night isn't bad, for me.

reverted Jun 12, 2016 2:13 am

Originally Posted by vwks2006 (Post 26765328)
http://www.target.com/p/400gc-6-fee-...d/-/A-17214227

6 dollar fee - 5 dollar coupon: TGT4DN9P

= 401 total price pre-unloading for 400.. pretty dang good. Except limit is one. If you go slowly but surely you can get a good amount of the cards coming in. Placed 2 orders tonight because I have some spend to do on a Marriott card. 800/for this one night isn't bad, for me.

Is it right to assume that these can also be used for a MO?

cwmehring Jun 18, 2016 10:46 am

Which VGC do I buy?

I've done hours of reading about MS. I'm to the point where I'd like to start ms-ing but I'm confused on which card to buy. I see VGC in several differed styles. Can someone post a photo of what I should buy?

Thanks!