Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Newbie Unite! How are you guys doing your MS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Hey noobies – are you sick of people telling you they aren’t going to spoon feed you? How about “that was already answered” in a thread that 33 pages long? I’m in my 2nd month of this MS spend game and put together something that may help the newbies out there. I’m not claiming this is the best thing out there or I’m some heavy hitter, it’s just a blueprint for how I’m trying to do $35K/month and continue to learn. As I learn more, I’ll look to increase my spend and profit.

I have a wife, so 2 amazon payments and BB accounts. How are you guys doing it? What am I missing?

Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Do you mean Blue Cash instead of BCP?

If BCP, you will not get 5% on CVS and it is 6% on grocery stores up to $6k/year.

And how are you liquidating $30k/month of VR's with only a $15k/month limit? ($10k/month BB + $5k/month HR)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the flow chart. I am new also. I just started VR/CVS to complete my spend on 2 AA Executive cards this month. I don't think I will continue to do MS for other reason because all my cards are 1pt to $1.

I may try the Wells Fargo 5x later with VR.

FYI, I have 2 BB and 1 Serve.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
Do you mean Blue Cash instead of BCP?

If BCP, you will not get 5% on CVS and it is 6% on grocery stores up to $6k/year.

And how are you liquidating $30k/month of VR's with only a $15k/month limit? ($10k/month BB + $5k/month HR)
The chart is definitely flawed somewhere.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:40 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't want to do Paypal and Amazon payment because of potential 1099K. The threshold for 1099k are: 200 transactions or 20k worth of payments. (something like that).
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I understand the stance that newbies may be taking right now (there has been a HUGE influx), but at the end of the day, we were all newbies once and received somewhat of a similar treatment.

I don't understand what the problem is to have everyone read on their own and find their own best ways to MS. I know I had to do it and I would expect everyone else to do the same. There is a ridiculous amount of information on FT and this is dealing with real money and personal finances, so I would not expect any shortcuts to anything dealing with MS, nor would I want it.

Just my $.02, and I mean no harm, but I think it's getting a little out of hand.

I felt the need to post this when I realized your username was "NewbiesUnite".
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sosamo
Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't want to do Paypal and Amazon payment because of potential 1099K. The threshold for 1099k are: 200 transactions or 20k worth of payments. (something like that).
Amazon Payments T&C read as follows (emphasis mine):

More than $20,000 in gross payment volume, AND
More than 200 transactions.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:54 pm

IMO, VRs is the last option unless you have old Blue Amex or Citi 5x card. I would take Serve or Ink @ Staples over VRs.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I suspect this flow chart will just confuse the newbies further. If you really want to make it digestible, I'd probably do a slideshow progression starting with the easiest methods, then slowly adding additional layers.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:04 pm

I'm with healthnut on this one. Read, keep reading, then read some more. The blogs are VERY helpful in getting you started.

This is also a pretty helpful and friendly community if you have read up and have some questions that were not answered in the last five pages of the thread.

With that said welcome newbie.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by NewbiesUnite
Hey noobies – are you sick of people telling you they aren’t going to spoon feed you? How about “that was already answered” in a thread that 33 pages long? I’m in my 2nd month of this MS spend game and put together something that may help the newbies out there. I’m not claiming this is the best thing out there or I’m some heavy hitter, it’s just a blueprint for how I’m trying to do $35K/month and continue to learn. As I learn more, I’ll look to increase my spend and profit.

I have a wife, so 2 amazon payments and BB accounts. How are you guys doing it? What am I missing?

Really appreciate your effort. Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I see a lot of arrows but no circles...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by healthnut
I understand the stance that newbies may be taking right now (there has been a HUGE influx), but at the end of the day, we were all newbies once and received somewhat of a similar treatment.

I don't understand what the problem is to have everyone read on their own and find their own best ways to MS. I know I had to do it and I would expect everyone else to do the same. There is a ridiculous amount of information on FT and this is dealing with real money and personal finances, so I would not expect any shortcuts to anything dealing with MS, nor would I want it.

Just my $.02, and I mean no harm, but I think it's getting a little out of hand.

I felt the need to post this when I realized your username was "NewbiesUnite".
Once upon a time people were nice to new FTers.

I'm not sure why you think negatively about shortcuts. Re-inventing the wheel is foolish.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Once upon a time people were nice to new FTers.

I'm not sure why you think negatively about shortcuts. Re-inventing the wheel is foolish.
I don't necessary think negative about it, but I feel like everyone expects it and I don't believe that it should be expected. Sometimes it takes some time to get in the groove and then it takes time to find your own shortcuts. When those shortcuts have been found (and there are many on here), they should be posted in their respective thread.

Like I said, no harm was to be taken by my post, but the username triggered it. I do believe that those who are rude to newbies are better to keep their fingers off the keyboard, it just has gotten a little out of hand IMO.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:08 pm

Not to poo poo on the parade, but if you're a newbie, I think you should take baby steps until you are comfortable. Taking a huge bite may cause indigestion and otherwise.

Step 1 : Amazon Payment (no worries on the 1099k if for Msing 12,000 per year)

Step 2 : Blue Bird

Step 3 : Everything else...

Feel free to chime in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.