Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Furyleader
I have Charles schwab investment bank, there is no limit on mo deposits. And they actually even prefer you deposit with money order or cashier check.

Not to mention their fee free atm anywhere in the world with their debit card. And they'll return you the fees from other owner's atm.
Yes, please explain what you mean by "prefer". Why would they prefer money orders when cash is king?...even though money order is essentially guaranteed cash.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:56 am

(The wiki above says that BoA ATMs take MO deposits.)

A few days ago I went to a BoA branch and deposited a Moneygram MO (from WM) at the teller. I asked the teller if I could have deposited it at the ATM, and he said that I couldn't because the MO was too wide, but if I had a smaller one I could.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap
(The wiki above says that BoA ATMs take MO deposits.)

A few days ago I went to a BoA branch and deposited a Moneygram MO (from WM) at the teller. I asked the teller if I could have deposited it at the ATM, and he said that I couldn't because the MO was too wide, but if I had a smaller one I could.
Perhaps your BOA ATMs are a different generation or have different size slots but my BOA ATMs take them with no problem. You should give it a try next time.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Yes, please explain what you mean by "prefer". Why would they prefer money orders when cash is king?...even though money order is essentially guaranteed cash.
Schwab doesn't have much, if any, physical brick and mortar bank presence - so you have to deposit via ACH / cashier's check /etc.

On the flipside, I'd stay away from Schwab/Fidelity/etc. They operate primarily as brokers and you're essentially opening investment accounts, not checking accounts.

Broker-dealers are going to pay a lot closer attention to what goes in and out of their accounts. I imagine that might be part of the reason people have some issues with Chase - their fraud/investigative departments are going to overlap with the investment banking side. These entities spend a lot more money on fraud/risk prevention because of added scrutiny from various federal authorities since the 2008 crash. More eyes and more dollars = more chance of shutdowns.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hamhead
Schwab doesn't have much, if any, physical brick and mortar bank presence - so you have to deposit via ACH / cashier's check /etc.

On the flipside, I'd stay away from Schwab/Fidelity/etc. They operate primarily as brokers and you're essentially opening investment accounts, not checking accounts.

Broker-dealers are going to pay a lot closer attention to what goes in and out of their accounts. I imagine that might be part of the reason people have some issues with Chase - their fraud/investigative departments are going to overlap with the investment banking side. These entities spend a lot more money on fraud/risk prevention because of added scrutiny from various federal authorities since the 2008 crash. More eyes and more dollars = more chance of shutdowns.
You do not need a broker account to have a Schwab checking account. Totally independent although if you have both, you can see both under same log in.

Schwab takes MO or Cashier Check deposits happily at their local broker offices for your checking account. In fact the broker office does NOT accept cash.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You do not need a broker account to have a Schwab checking account. Totally independent although if you have both, you can see both under same log in.

Schwab takes MO or Cashier Check deposits happily at their local broker offices for your checking account. In fact the broker office does NOT accept cash.
Thanks Happy! Looking at Schwab...have you had a long relationship with Schwab and depositing the MOs? Any volume numbers?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:56 pm

discover bank's app does not take MO. tried it few times and all got rejects
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce
What do you mean they prefer you deposit with money order? How do you know this.
I personally have one for sole purpose traveling abroad and cash fee free on withdraw at foreign atm

I have deposited 2-3 checks per months on mo with my mobile phone and all went thru as I was oversea in Taiwan withdrawing NT dollars.^
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
discover bank's app does not take MO. tried it few times and all got rejects
It works for me. What kind of MO did you use? WU or Moneygram? I always use WU money order for discover bank deposit
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hamhead

Yup, i've learned to not mess with Chase. I don't deposit anything but cash into my Chase account. When i first got into the game, i was stupid enough to deposit a few, but not anymore.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton, BA, AA, SPG
Depositing the MOs

Thoughts and opinions on depositing the MOs.
Never had problems before but all of a sudden my bank where my checking account is has an issue with all the deposits.
Thoughts please.
Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by moobearus
Never had problems before but all of a sudden my bank where my checking account is has an issue with all the deposits.
Thoughts please.
Thank you.
Which bank are you a customer of?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton, BA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by 8illy
Which bank are you a customer of?
MB

I'm really looking for info on where and how are people depositing all the MOs.

The other thread has some info on it but if there is another thread with info on it I would appreciate it.

Where are all the people depositing the 100k/mo.+ in MOs?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by moobearus
Thoughts please.
Thank you.
That's how it typically works. Everything is fine until one day they close your account or ask you to take your business elsewhere. I think all banks tend to get tired of it after a while. How long have you been depositing MO into that bank and how much per month?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:11 am

Any limit on how much we can deposit MOs on DCU? I have 2K MOs and wanted to know before I deposit thru Mobile App.
Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.