Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
...2 days later, I went to that same Vons during the morning and was able to buy a ReloadIt card with CC. The cashier didn't even blink and I made small talk with the cashier while the CC transaction was going through to distract her.
Similar experience here. Two cashier rejections upon asking managers, but on the third try, no hesitation at all.

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
$18K since the opening in and out, no problems /knocking on the wood as well /
You're the pioneer here! What's your method of withdrawal (MO, BP, other) and general pattern of load/unload timing? Swipes mixed in? Saw your other post about your 4 stores shutting down CC Rlit buys though... I hope that doesn't hold up. Trying another one here today. Will report back soon.

Originally Posted by saru
Your Discover account will show "Returned Online ACH Payment" and the payment will be rescinded in a few days. I know because I tried the same thing. It took four days for the payment to get rescinded. No free money.
This is correct. I haven't done it with TMobile nor Discover, but in general, many banks will post your payment instantly upon submission and only retract it a few days later if it ends up being rejected.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:04 pm

Anyone else getting this message after clicking bill pay?

"Sorry, an error occured while processing your request!"

Edit: looks like the app is working but website is not.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by lingoking
Anyone else getting this message after clicking bill pay?

"Sorry, an error occured while processing your request!"

Edit: looks like the app is working but website is not.
Heck, I wish I could get that far. Everything is working fine for me except I continue to have difficulties adding new Payees. Each time I get a message that the information is not consistent with their records. I get the same results on the mobile app. One of these payees, for example, was SoCal Edison.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
You're the pioneer here! What's your method of withdrawal (MO, BP, other) and general pattern of load/unload timing? Swipes mixed in? Saw your other post about your 4 stores shutting down CC Rlit buys though... I hope that doesn't hold up. Trying another one here today. Will report back soon.
BP-only. Only one payee as well - Barclays Arrival. I am building up for my upcoming trip

I grab as many as I can, one per store per day, under $500 total with groceries, when I am told "cash-only", I just smile and take the card back to the rack. Load them immediately and do a BP same or the next day.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:34 pm

Albertsons to Acquire Safeway

Could negatively impact sale of Reloadits with CCs at Safeway/Vons/Pavillions
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Could negatively impact sale of Reloadits with CCs at Safeway/Vons/Pavillions
no doubts about this. game over.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:59 pm

no doubts about this. game over.
Perhaps some of the "loss prevention" tightening that we have been seeing is in anticipation of this deal? Regardless, continues to by YMMV, as I still am able to get $950s at one of my favorite Vons, where they throw around the manager override card to each other like it's a football game! In most other stores, it's just not worth the risk going over $500, as the buck stops at the managers.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:30 pm

Perhaps some of the "loss prevention" tightening that we have been seeing is in anticipation of this deal? Regardless, continues to by YMMV, as I still am able to get $950s at one of my favorite Vons, where they throw around the manager override card to each other like it's a football game! In most other stores, it's just not worth the risk going over $500, as the buck stops at the managers.
Perhaps.

Enjoy it while you can folks.

but don't be greedy and don't spoil the stores for the rest of us.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:59 pm

Please everyone, stick to < $500 per card. You get the reload fee back anyways so there is not like you are losing anything by loading $495 vs. $950. We need to try to avoid as much store manager interaction as possible.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Please everyone, stick to < $500 per card. You get the reload fee back anyways so there is not like you are losing anything by loading $495 vs. $950. We need to try to avoid as much store manager interaction as possible.
I get that. However, I am also using Reloadits to load wife's and my AN cards (I've been banned by Moneypak) and staying under $500 would mean doubling my costs (an extra $800 per year). So, $950s get loaded on AN and, as you correctly note, I'm keeping under $500s for TM loads.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Just pulled down 6k VGC and 4k reloadit at local grocer.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:16 pm

I get that. However, I am also using Reloadits to load wife's and my AN cards (I've been banned by Moneypak) and staying under $500 would mean doubling my costs (an extra $800 per year). So, $950s get loaded on AN and, as you correctly note, I'm keeping under $500s for TM loads.
it doesn't matter whether you load $500 or $950 into the t-mo card.
it is reloadit card that matters.
if you can get away w/$950 rlit w/o shutting down the store completely for yourself and for the rest of us, by all means go for it, doesn't make any difference.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:29 pm

it doesn't matter whether you load $500 or $950 into the t-mo card.
it is reloadit card that matters.
if you can get away w/$950 rlit w/o shutting down the store completely for yourself and for the rest of us, by all means go for it, doesn't make any difference.
I understand that it does not make a difference for t-mo and, to date, all of my t-mo loads have been under $500. That is, after all, the low lying fruit. It does, however, make a big difference for loading my two AN cards, neither of which refunds the fee. So, by using $950s instead of < $500s to load my AN cards, I am saving approximately $800 per year in fees. My point is that some of us have very good reasons for purchasing $950s, and we were doing so well before the t-mo opportunity.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:34 pm

I understand that it does not make a difference for t-mo and, to date, all of my t-mo loads have been under $500. That is, after all, the low lying fruit. It does, however, make a big difference for loading my two AN cards, neither of which refunds the fee. So, by using $950s instead of < $500s to load my AN cards, I am saving approximately $800 per year in fees. My point is that some of us have very good reasons for purchasing $950s, and we were doing so well before the t-mo opportunity.
Look, it is a free country, you can do as your heart desires.

Just don't be surprised if and when the manager will show up in order to override the transaction >$500 and tells you: "those cards are cash-only, it is a store policy" loud and clear, so all the cashiers will hear that and remember that. Alas, your big savings of $800/year won't matter anymore.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:01 pm

The memo about rlits being "cash only" has been out. I know this 100%.
The cashiers do not read the memos, but managers - sometimes - do. And when asked by the cashier they will go and check. Ka-boom!!

I always have my drivers license along with the cc when trying to do the transaction. Sometimes it helps, but not always. Some of those cashiers are super cautious, especially the "career cashiers", lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.