Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Finally found a grocery store in MD that both stocks the new (cross) Reloadit and takes CC. Needed Manager's approval for the $950. No Safeway gas points on the transaction. DL check. Paid with AMEX SPG. Store cashier and I discussed whether CC payment was eligible, and Manager was not pleased to allow the transaction. Will be doing <$500 loads in the future and would not be surprised if Manager yanks (or gets told to yank) the Reloadits soon.
Tried to load $950 at several Vs all but 1 said ca$h only. 1 mgr tried calling Blackhawk but the wait time was way too long. They then went into their office and pulled out a piece of paper that although it didn't have this particular card on it basically said ca$h only for all types of VRS.

Last night was successful getting 1 w/o any flack. After getting told ca$h only 3x today, I simply resigned myself to getting $495+ and no one said Boo

Wish I lived in SoCal I like this TM better then MVD, but hopefully it wll get to the NE sooner then later
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by craz
Tried to load $950 at several Vs all but 1 said ca$h only. 1 mgr tried calling Blackhawk but the wait time was way too long. They then went into their office and pulled out a piece of paper that although it didn't have this particular card on it basically said ca$h only for all types of VRS.

Last night was successful getting 1 w/o any flack. After getting told ca$h only 3x today, I simply resigned myself to getting $495+ and no one said Boo

Wish I lived in SoCal I like this TM better then MVD, but hopefully it wll get to the NE sooner then later
Was this with the new or old style Reloadits? I have only seen the old, waiting for the new ones to try. But my TM card is burning a hole in my wallet, don't know how much longer I'm gonna hold out.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:24 pm

Folks, if they say cash only I humbly recommend just saying sorry and thanks, and trying again elsewhere or later. What good does it do for them to re-read a piece of paper that many of them forget they read before??? Arghhhhh.
Wish I lived in SoCal
FWIW a NY accent in SoCal is probably somewhat detrimental to successful MS.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:27 pm

anyone banned yet ...? :P
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:17 pm

Billpay Check

I tried billpay to send payment to a person (residential address), but it's been a couple weeks now and the check still hasn't been delivered. How long do these checks usually take to arrive? If it somehow got lost or stolen, what options do I have to get my money back?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by stblazer
I tried billpay to send payment to a person (residential address), but it's been a couple weeks now and the check still hasn't been delivered. How long do these checks usually take to arrive? If it somehow got lost or stolen, what options do I have to get my money back?
I've never done billpay to a person and don't know of anyone that has... I would contact Tmo and be sure the details on your payee are correct... Do let us know how that goes, would be interested to hear.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:33 pm

I have been unable to locate any ReloadITs in the Chicago area, let alone one that allows cc purchase. Can anyone offer any help? I have the card but unable to load other than at a Tmobile store with cash? Please pm if not comfortable with online response. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PolarPlunge
Was this with the new or old style Reloadits? I have only seen the old, waiting for the new ones to try. But my TM card is burning a hole in my wallet, don't know how much longer I'm gonna hold out.
the new ones with $20-950

since my flight was delayed today I drove around to see if I could p/u some more,2 places said ca$h only even when I tried only to load $495. Succes at 1 , when I went to get a 2nd card she called the mgr who said its Ca$h only but didnt refund the card that went thru

Id say its only a matter of time before all the stores become like the 7s and its ca$h only. On Sun a mgr showed me a page dated 2/23 that said all reload it cards are ca$h only. So get them when you can
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by stblazer
The bill pay I sent to a person took about 5-6 days to arrive.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Folks, if they say cash only I humbly recommend just saying sorry and thanks, and trying again elsewhere or later. What good does it do for them to re-read a piece of paper that many of them forget they read before??? Arghhhhh.

FWIW a NY accent in SoCal is probably somewhat detrimental to successful MS.
what happened was I gave the card to a cashier who said "I think these are cash only" I said I know the old were but these dont have cash only printed on them. She called the mgr over who tried calling Blackhawk , when she couldnt get thru she said to wait as she went into her office. Had I said forget it or simply left it would have sent up a red flag that I was up to no good. So I hung out till she came back and produced the paper

The mgr wasnt sure what the case was since it didnt say cash only on them. I left the store and said OK thanks for clearing it up. Monday morn quartebacking is real easy. Didnt need for her to call the cops thinking I was up to no good. I had no idea why she went into her office and she did ask me to wait, had she seen me leaving who knows what she would have done.So I played its straight and waited

as for my accent its not a NY one nor a Cali one. But I find almost every time I use a CC in Cali, they want pic ID even if the charge is $1.37
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by craz
what happened was I gave the card to a cashier who said "I think these are cash only" I said I know the old were but these dont have cash only printed on them. She called the mgr over who tried calling Blackhawk , when she couldnt get thru she said to wait as she went into her office. Had I said forget it or simply left it would have sent up a red flag that I was up to no good. So I hung out till she came back and produced the paper

The mgr wasnt sure what the case was since it didnt say cash only on them. I left the store and said OK thanks for clearing it up. Monday morn quartebacking is real easy. Didnt need for her to call the cops thinking I was up to no good. I had no idea why she went into her office and she did ask me to wait, had she seen me leaving who knows what she would have done.So I played its straight and waited

as for my accent its not a NY one nor a Cali one. But I find almost every time I use a CC in Cali, they want pic ID even if the charge is $1.37
I have been buying these regularly at a store near me using a CC, and a couple of days ago I was denied. Manager indicated that they had been audited and were told in a memo that they can only sell these for cash. Need to find another place now.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by sk8uno
The bill pay I sent to a person took about 5-6 days to arrive.
Looks like I just needed to wait an extra day. The check did get delivered. It took 8 business days.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:52 am

craz, NY accent or any other telltale sign (you've never heard folks marvel at how pushy NYers are???). Don't mind me though, it's probably more that you do high volumes so a greater variety of situations is inevitable.

Worthless info, I know, but I've never been asked for ID for a small transaction, and I've never worried about anyone freaking out calling the authorities if I say, "My mistake, sorry, thanks but I don't have enough cash to complete the purchase." There's plenty of ReloadIts for all of us. I think my store managers tend to forget what they read in any memo, and my friends try not to remind them LOL. If I leave a store and another MSer shows up an hour later, I'd hate to think I ruined things for him/her.

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Feb 25, 2014 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
craz, NY accent or any other telltale sign (you've never heard folks marvel at how pushy NYers are???). Don't mind me though, it's probably more that you do high volumes so a greater variety of situations is inevitable.

Worthless info, I know, but I've never been asked for ID for a small transaction, and I've never worried about anyone freaking out calling the authorities if I say, "My mistake, sorry, thanks but I don't have enough cash to complete the purchase." There's plenty of ReloadIts for all of us. I think my store managers tend to forget what they read in any memo, and my friends try not to remind them LOL. If I leave a store and another MSer shows up an hour later, I'd hate to think I ruined things for him/her.
Again when it hits the fan, you have a sec or 2 to think very fast. You dont have mins or hours to think it all thru. There was no heated discussion or anyone talking down or demanding anything from anyone. I simply did what I had done previously and either walked out with the card or didnt. This was the 1st time a mgr came over and took it beyond sorry its cash only.

I think she wanted to know for herself since it didnt say cash only on it, thats what I told the cashier and what the cashier told the mgr. The mgr had wasnt sure if it was cash only or not, and I wasnt about to tell her it was and I was just trying to get away with MSing. I thought if at any time I said Oh you what never mind I will buy something else, it would have raised a flag. Could be you wouldnt have raed it taht way , a spilt decission on my part w/o the time to think it all thru. I did what I thought was the best option at teh time

Its sort of like the 7s or CVs , I can go in and walk out w/o anything and you walk in later and walk out with whatever you came for. Heck I paid for a VR at a 7 and when she went to do the 2nd decided it was best to call and make sure its OK, her mgr told her no and to refund the 1 she sold me and was able to! Yep both purchase and refund appear on my online CC acct. I then realized that that whole territory was owned by 1 person (company) and didnt bother hitting any other 7s within 15 miles of there

for the record that mgr said only the Reloadable cards are cash only, problem is unless you have a CC that pays more then 1x why pay $5.95 when you can get the samething for $4.95
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: None
I hope the stores don't shift to cash only on this. This is a great opportunity at net zero cost.

Fellow MS'ers - do in moderation and don't challenge the clerks or managers, I have been shot down a few times and I just move on and have been successful with the next clerk on the next visit..Patience.

Two situations to get this killed
1 - The day the registers get hard-coded we would have to bid adieu
2 - Circles Arrows and other Bloggers talk about this card and we will have a flock rushing to get this card and reloadit's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.