Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by zooplankton66
Does anyone know the purchasing limit of safeway without triggering the manager approval? Here's the thing, I just went to a safeway to buy a Reloadit and I told the cashier to load $450, then triggered the alert, need overwrite from the manager. I thought the limit was $500 before? Did they change?
Thanks.
IME every store sets their own limits which triggers the requirement for a manager's override. $500 is a common limit (maybe their system default) but you can't count on that.

I have one grocery store where anything over $100 requires the managers approval. Happens a lot. Other stores in the same chain seem to be $500.

Learn the limits per store (and per cashier). Everything's YMMV because it does.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
IME every store sets their own limits which triggers the requirement for a manager's override. $500 is a common limit (maybe their system default) but you can't count on that.

I have one grocery store where anything over $100 requires the managers approval. Happens a lot. Other stores in the same chain seem to be $500.

Learn the limits per store (and per cashier). Everything's YMMV because it does.
Thanks for the reply, but the thing is I've been to that safeway before purchasing reloadit card with the amount like $490, $495 per transaction, never triggered an alert, that's why I'm curious if safeway has changed their limit.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
So long T-Mobile.... ending July 27th, 2016 :

"Important information regarding your T-Mobile Account: The T-Mobile Prepaid Visa® Card (“T-Mobile Card”) will be discontinued effective July 27th, 2016. After June 27th, 2016 you will no longer be able to reload your T-Mobile Card or access the T-Mobile “Mobile Money” app. Please be sure to remove any recurring debits or direct deposits being sent to your card no later than June 27th and spend down any available balance remaining by July 27th. You will be sent more information regarding your account at a later date. Thank you very much for using your T-Mobile Card. We regret any inconvenience you may experience. For any questions, please contact the number printed on the back of your T-Mobile Card."
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:34 pm

Damn. This was the most amazing MS vehicle ever! For those that knew how to use it, it was AMAZING!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hokiegl
Damn. This was the most amazing MS vehicle ever! For those that knew how to use it, it was AMAZING!
Still is for a little while longer at least, but losing this in addition to everything else in the MS world solidifies my statement that 2016 is the WORST year ever for MS. Pessimism of this hobby continues to grow and be affirmed on a weekly basis it seems.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Explorist, BA Bronze, BW Diamond Elite
First serve. Now this. What's left?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:21 pm

Paypower
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:03 am

im not so bummed out since my sources for Rlit have dried up. Am glad I was able to use it for as long as I have.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
I agree it was good and yet rarely mentioned on blogs. I do hate to see it go as this has been "free" with the fee refund and lately my safeway gives me $2 off each card when I use my club card. On to the next thing I guess.

Last edited by BoeingOrNotGoing; Apr 5, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:57 am

Paypower
these remain my go to cheapest MS if I must buy VGCs. since they're not accessible to most by CCs, I take care of the grocery stores I can still buy them. they came in handy for several cards on this Q Freedom category.

the others remaining are the CU prepaids that one has to spend time doing research to find them.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:54 am

Paypower
Does Paypower refund the ReloadIt purchase fee?

This also isn't that big a deal for me, all the Reloadits now say Cash Only and there's only one cashier I know of who doesn't enforce it at my local Safeway. So I manage to snag 1-2 packs a week if I'm lucky.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by glocklt4
So long T-Mobile.... ending July 27th, 2016 :

"Important information regarding your T-Mobile Account: The T-Mobile Prepaid Visa® Card (“T-Mobile Card”) will be discontinued effective July 27th, 2016. After June 27th, 2016 you will no longer be able to reload your T-Mobile Card or access the T-Mobile “Mobile Money” app. Please be sure to remove any recurring debits or direct deposits being sent to your card no later than June 27th and spend down any available balance remaining by July 27th. You will be sent more information regarding your account at a later date. Thank you very much for using your T-Mobile Card. We regret any inconvenience you may experience. For any questions, please contact the number printed on the back of your T-Mobile Card."
Just logged in and saw this notice. Free MS made this totally worth it, I also have one cashier that ignores the cash only on the packs now. I've had this card going slow and steady since it came out but it looks like May to mid-June will be ramp up and go time.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Very sad to see this one go.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Very sad to see this one go.
I totally agree...I get atleast 5K ReloadIT every month. Free money.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ramamosn
I totally agree...I get atleast 5K ReloadIT every month. Free money.
Does your store still stock the ones that don't say "Cash Only" - or have you just found a store where it's their policy to ignore that? I can only get lucky with individual cashiers on occasion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.