Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by yasn
The reversed it immediately as you can see the credit in your account in minutes? Or it took couple of days?
Seconds . . .
Old May 4, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Seconds . . .
Did you forget to switch account before replying?
Old May 4, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Boy do I miss Vs and Ps on the WC. My subsitute place on the EC is a Pita, with V or P asked to load $495 and the cashier was able to handle it as if I was getting a 1/2 gal of milk.

My sub place I tried the $495 when $500 kept yielding long waits for a mgr of sorts to come over and look at my DL and CC. To no avail dont know what the trigger is but if the 3.95 stops being refunded then Im out as it takes way too much time, this is with the old grey cards to boot
Old May 5, 2014, 12:16 am

Finally got my monthly fee charge reversed. It so dumb that I had to be on hold for like 40 mins to get a $5 charge reversed. Not sure why the system flagged that I didn't load more than $500 when I did about $4K last month.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:40 am

called and CSR said the monthly fee will be reversed and I should see it in a day or 2.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Finally got my monthly fee charge reversed. It so dumb that I had to be on hold for like 40 mins to get a $5 charge reversed. Not sure why the system flagged that I didn't load more than $500 when I did about $4K last month.
I predict you will get shut down in about a month.

We load T-Mo by buying stuff at 5% grocery stores. $4K x 5% is $200 pure profit dude. You made a special call to them, asking for a human to look at all your loads to make sure they can see that you're loading $4K cuz their computer had no idea that you were one of the MSers???!!! For $5...
Old May 5, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf

We load T-Mo by buying stuff at 5% grocery stores. $4K x 5% is $200 pure profit dude. You made a special call to them, asking for a human to look at all your loads to make sure they can see that you're loading $4K cuz their computer had no idea that you were one of the MSers???!!! For $5...
+1. Yea who cares about the $5 fee, your getting the reloadit fees refunded everytime.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
+1. Yea who cares about the $5 fee, your getting the reloadit fees refunded every time.
HAHA...yeah im sure that will be the trigger...this call. BTW the shutdowns have been triggered by the system and not by a human which has been confirmed multiple times already. You don't know how I have been spending my $4K and assuming I was just doing BP which is far far from the truth. It only seems like a human causes the shutdown when in reality it is not. People just report what they were told from their conversation with the risk department. They are fully aware of MSers anyways and making this call is not going to be any different. Shutdowns can occur at any time. The instance you load more than whatever threshold they set internally for the system you should be on their radar anyways. People get shutdown all the time and have not made a single call to Tmobile. Get real dude.

Last edited by ericdabbs; May 5, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old May 5, 2014, 11:34 am

"Hi, can you please send a note to your computer programmers? They need to make sure the program detects our MS-style loads better -- it missed all mine obviously as you can see by the line item that charged me $5 the other day."
Old May 5, 2014, 11:43 am

"Hi, can you please send a note to your computer programmers? They need to make sure the program detects our MS-style loads better -- it missed all mine obviously as you can see by the line item that charged me $5 the other day."
That is totally the way that I worded it.... I even told them that I have been buying reloadits from Safeway to get CC points too and that the nickname I was using is really a CC...*sigh*. You give way toooo much credit to the CSR folks who you think take the initiative to follow up and ensure this doesn't happen in the future beyond this call. I have dealt with a lot of CSRs and most don't give a crap beyond your call. They just think it was an anomaly in their system. Btw the 2nd month I had this card, I wasn't charged a monthly fee so obviously something happened in between them. I have had calls for other items non-MS related and they told me that they would follow up and get back to me BUT never did. I am sure they didn't actually follow up.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Btw the 2nd month I had this card, I wasn't charged a monthly fee so obviously something happened in between them.
We're all in agreement that what happened is the computer failed to detect MS-style loads. The disagreement is whether or not that failure was a good thing LOL.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:21 pm

I also got charged the $5 and I could care less at this point. Someone else was doing 4K a week on 2 different cards. No one really knows how people are getting shutdown but I'd rather not bring any extra attention.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:50 pm

We're all in agreement that what happened is the computer failed to detect MS-style loads. The disagreement is whether or not that failure was a good thing LOL.
Well either way I don't believe the call presents any more risk than if you get randomly shut down because even the number you call on the back of the card is NOT the risk dept which is really the ones conducting the crackdown. I wasn't transferred to the risk dept.

They are just normal CSRs there to answer account related issues like username/pw issues, profile related questions, whether funds get loaded correctly, fee related questions, etc.

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I also got charged the $5 and I could care less at this point. Someone else was doing 4K a week on 2 different cards. No one really knows how people are getting shutdown but I'd rather not bring any extra attention.
I mean its really up to you if you care about the $5. The whole extra attention thing by calling is just a matter of whether or not you truly believe that you suddenly become a marked individual. Maybe the fact that they charged you the $5 means that the system somehow thinks you have been loading less. I am sure they are fully aware that they themselves have been running into issues on their own so I wouldn't be surprised if they assume that it was just a glitch in their system. If Tmobile really wanted to crack down on MSers, they could just set up the criteria in the system to flag any account that loads more than $500 or $1K. You wouldn't even need any human intervention for that. Why even set such a high limit to load if they truly intend for folks to use the card with an avg purchase price per transaction to be $15.

We do know that people are getting shutdown upon BP. I don't know if I have heard of anyone getting shutdown when making a retail transaction.

Last edited by ericdabbs; May 5, 2014 at 4:15 pm
Old May 5, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by thehawk75
seems bp is back... but all payees have been nuked. Since I'm using the mobile app right now, will re-enter necessary payee info later (assuming that works). Also had to re-accept the bp t&c's again.
Well, the payee's had returned by Sunday afternoon... all info looked as before, however, once payment was made, something different.

In the transaction list it used to read:

Payment for payee nick name, Online Banking, Chantilly, VA 20151

Now it just reads:

Bill Payment

Further clicking on transaction details has the following (among other details):

Merchant Name: T-Mobile GPR

No indication of who the payee was..

Perhaps internally they can look up more details using the the 'Retrieval Reference Number'...

Also times that used to read 2 days on bill pay, now read 5 days.

In the least it appears they're doing the bill pays 'differently' than before.

And...a little disconcerting is the payees... have now disappeared again.

I hope I didn't send a payment into the great 'ether', and/or this is something similar to the BB-payee screw up that happened a month or so ago.

I'd tread cautiously with the BP for at the moment.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Well, the payee's had returned by Sunday afternoon... all info looked as before, however, once payment was made, something different.

In the transaction list it used to read:

Payment for payee nick name, Online Banking, Chantilly, VA 20151

Now it just reads:

Bill Payment

Further clicking on transaction details has the following (among other details):

Merchant Name: T-Mobile GPR

No indication of who the payee was..

Perhaps internally they can look up more details using the the 'Retrieval Reference Number'...

Also times that used to read 2 days on bill pay, now read 5 days.

In the least it appears they're doing the bill pays 'differently' than before.

And...a little disconcerting is the payees... have now disappeared again.

I hope I didn't send a payment into the great 'ether', and/or this is something similar to the BB-payee screw up that happened a month or so ago.

I'd tread cautiously with the BP for at the moment.
My payees returned back to normal on Saturday and Payee information doesn't seem to be altered. Not sure what is going on with your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.