Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Anyone with, say, $10K in monthly spend getting cancelled this week? Or it is folks "making a living" off the card getting the cancellations?
That's my question...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sybloc
Who posted the survey?
Where are the results?
Nobody is going to fill that out without some transparency.
As if it should be filled out at all. Sure, so the Amex folks reading this thread can have an even greater laugh.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:28 am
jmw

I'm so tempted to remove the survey link.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:30 am

Anyone with, say, $10K in monthly spend getting cancelled this week? Or it is folks "making a living" off the card getting the cancellations?
You honestly think your going to avoid the plague just because you spent 10K and some other dude spends 15K, 20K, etc.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
You honestly think your going to avoid the plague just because you spent 10K and some other dude spends 15K, 20K, etc.
Well, actually, yes. I get the impression that they may not be going after the 15K folks either. In previous shutdowns, it's usually the folks spending more than their monthly credit limits getting shut down. That's a logical way to do it. Otherwise, are they going to shut down anyone who ever bought a gift card? Or 5 gift cards? 10? If I'm AMEX, or any other card issuer, I'm going after the heavy hitters. That's where the big losses are, and that's the behavior they need to stop.

Of course, the lesser players aren't safe either, but they're undoubtedly "safer."
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by silver6054
Well, not a good theory given the content of the message (6 months vs forever). But we know your views. Hopefully your reputation for discretion is generating lots of opportunities for you.
Didn't you mention comprehenive reading earlier?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 am

I was born in October, and cancelled. What month were you guys born?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:39 am

Well, actually, yes. I get the impression that they may not be going after the 15K folks either. In previous shutdowns, it's usually the folks spending more than their monthly credit limits getting shut down. That's a logical way to do it. Otherwise, are they going to shut down anyone who ever bought a gift card? Or 5 gift cards? 10? If I'm AMEX, or any other card issuer, I'm going after the heavy hitters. That's where the big losses are, and that's the behavior they need to stop.

Of course, the lesser players aren't safe either, but they're undoubtedly "safer."
Your crazy. If you read the email was sent out about closures you will understand that 10K a month is not normal on any planet. Why would it even matter what your credit limit is? Just because they issue someone a CL doesn't mean they expect or want you to run it up every single month.

Also plenty of datapoints that it isn't heavy hitters, it is mix of all types.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 am

What is the definition of a 'prepaid card' and 'cash equivalent'?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

I concur. I think they have some MS tolerance, but we exceeded a threshold.

Last edited by TheDapperDon; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:48 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by XtraPerks
Are they gonna send you the OBC you applied for yesterday?
All signs so far point to yes. It was approved and I haven't heard anything since.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by joqaelyzm
I was born in October, and cancelled. What month were you guys born?
*snickering*
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA

That is exactly what they did. They screened for the highest dollar amount of payouts in bonus categories over a period of time and monthly payouts.

This is a personal card, not a business card, so they set a threshold for personal spending. They then axed the top spenders in bonus categories.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:52 am

It may be cumulative over time, meaning a certain amount of rewards cashed out in a span of x months, that's why some haven't been shut down yet and others have.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aGeist
And people blame the bloggers and 'newbies.' Lol.
Don't kid yourself...just because bloggers didn't ruin this deal, doesn't mean that they're not responsible for the early demise of other very valuable opportunities. Anyone that's been doing this hobby for more than one year can point to a multitude of great deals that ended as soon as the circles and arrows crowd tried to monetize other people's discoveries. The only reason the OBC wasn't widespread in the blogosphere is because there was no affiliate kickback to make it worthwhile.

As with all money-making schemes, there comes a tipping point. Since the money you make is the same money some business loses, once there's too many people doing the same thing, there's no recourse for the business but to change the model. What with all the people in this thread bragging and gloating in a public forum about how much money they were making off Amex, I'm surprised this deal lasted as long as it did. I hope people will learn a lesson in discretion from this, but I doubt it. FT...where good deals go to die.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.