Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:25 pm

anyone successfully did a PC from amex BC or BCP in the last few months? I've failed in the last 4 or 5 calls
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by jamesflyertalk
anyone successfully did a PC from amex BC or BCP in the last few months? I've failed in the last 4 or 5 calls
Why not just apply for the BC directly if you keep getting denied?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by unkinected
Do tell!
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Ink cards get 5x UR points at office supply stores.
You could also use BC to get a gift card to Amazon from a grocery store. Be warned, though, that if you purchase an item with a gift card from Amazon, Best Buy, etc., you do not have the ability to file a chargeback in case the item breaks and the vendor refuses to accept a return. I will happily take my 2% on my Fidelity AmEx or 2X miles on my Arrival instead of 5% CB in exchange for more protection.

YMMV.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:48 pm

I tried several times and they wouldn't do it. I had to app for a new card.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce
I tried several times and they wouldn't do it. I had to app for a new card.
If you have an SPG card you can convert that to the old Amex Blue
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raccah
If you have an SPG card you can convert that to the old Amex Blue
Would it be the true OBC that would earn 5x ultimately? Have you done so recently? How would you tell the CSR it is THAT version of BC that you want, as it officially does not exist for new accounts.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Would it be the true OBC that would earn 5x ultimately? Have you done so recently? How would you tell the CSR it is THAT version of BC that you want, as it officially does not exist for new accounts.
Like someone asked me over PM, I did it in Jan and it worked fine for me then. I called the CSR and said hey I want to convert my BCP to the BC and they said heck NO! Then I asked to move my SPG to the BC and they said fine. I then TRIPLE checked that it was the OLD BC and it worked fine.

I guess I was lucky, I hope the same for all of u
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:04 pm

Before I called for a product change, I waited for my 1st year anniversary to pass AND made sure I've already spent way over 6500 on my BCE. Maybe I was lucky on my first try, I got hold of a CSR who knew exactly what I was talking about especially when I mentioned the 6500 threshold to meet to get 5% CB. After putting me on hold to check my account, I got approved. I also asked him if there will be a HP on my credit report and he said no. On my next statement after I got my new card, I got 5% for all GGD purchases

just keep on trying, you might get hold of a cooperative CSR. good luck!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like someone asked me over PM, I did it in Jan and it worked fine for me then. I called the CSR and said hey I want to convert my BCP to the BC and they said heck NO! Then I asked to move my SPG to the BC and they said fine. I then TRIPLE checked that it was the OLD BC and it worked fine.

I guess I was lucky, I hope the same for all of u
So basically you just asked for Blue Cash, and emphasized NOT the Blue Cash Preferred.

And the CSR confirmed the earning structure of the BC to you at the conversion?

I have a SPG that I intend to cancel when AF hit in either Aug or Sept. So now there is this PC route I should try first. Thanks for the info.

I have more than 6500 spend on my SPG... wonder if it is successfully converted, would that amount carry over?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:16 pm

So basically you just asked for Blue Cash, and emphasized NOT the Blue Cash Preferred.

And the CSR confirmed the earning structure of the BC to you at the conversion?

I have a SPG that I intend to cancel when AF hit. So now there is this PC route I should try first. Thanks for the info.
Yes to all of that - at least from what I remember and I did this PC after only having the card for 8 months or so. I went from having a card I did not need (as I got the SPG Biz already) and one that had a AF to a GREAT SICK card that has NO AF!!! WIN WIN WIN!!!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes to all of that - at least from what I remember and I did this PC after only having the card for 8 months or so.
This is very good info.

Did the spend on the SPG carried over? I think I have 7K or more spend on the SPG so far.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:21 pm

This is very good info.

Did the spend on the SPG carried over? I think I have 7K or more spend on the SPG so far.
Nope - I had to rebuild my 6.5K min spend - which was done without much effort at all thanks to many of the first page threads here.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope - I had to rebuild my 6.5K min spend - which was done without much effort at all thanks to many of the first page threads here.
That is fine. It is still very good if I can PC SPG to the OBC, because the SPG has a 25K CL that would give the OBC a good start if I could make it happen.

BTW, does anyone know WM Neighborhood Stores earns the 5x?

I notice that AMEX coded WM Super Center as Wholesale Club, while the neighborhood store as grocery store with WM HQ being the address. Though I know several local grocers despite being coded as grocery stores, still do not earn 5x on my HHonors card.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:04 pm

That is fine. It is still very good if I can PC SPG to the OBC, because the SPG has a 25K CL that would give the OBC a good start if I could make it happen.

BTW, does anyone know WM Neighborhood Stores earns the 5x?

I notice that AMEX coded WM Super Center as Wholesale Club, while the neighborhood store as grocery store with WM HQ being the address. Though I know several local grocers despite being coded as grocery stores, still do not earn 5x on my HHonors card.
Happy I had the same luck, SPG was VERY giving in terms of my CL and that transferred dollar for dollar to OBC. I have done a few test purchases and it is 5x for them, but no idea about higher values.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by thegasguru
Ink cards get 5x UR points at office supply stores.
However, Visa is a hassle with file claims... AmEx is super customer friendly and often lets you keep your items after filing return protection and purchase protection claims. I've never had to return Apple TV's, or even a Macbook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.