Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:43 pm

abc

folks here think that in some faraway AMEX office, a clerk is standing by a computer looking at charges on the BC card. No human is involved in the processes. It's all computer driven with no algorithms. All the folks here are just trying to 2nd guess Amex/WF.. That is why the main tenant of this entire MS hobby is "NEVER CALL". If you get humans involved, and they probably aren't too smart, your problems will begin. I first got this card 5 months ago and do not have 1 invoice under 1k. if you look at all my charges they range from 1009.90- 1514.85 and some more with gum and milk added in. I am happy with buying 3 GC at most each time. I did make a mistake one time, I bought groceries in 2 different markets for 32.00 and 28.00. I used the ABC instead of my BCP and it sticks out like a sore thumb on the invoice. That could probably get me a call, so I do not do reg spend on this card, and never a call or email. Just do it slow and steady, but that is IMHO. And as I stated before, they do not know where the payments come from... Serve/ BB/ BA. mailed in MO. I've done all methods and did violate a rule at the beginning. I mailed in a MO 4 months ago and was paranoid as to whether they received it.. so I called a week later,and clerk told me "it posted this AM" and I asked if that was the MO?. he said they system just enters it as a payment, he has no way of knowing from whence it came!! Nuff said.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
It's all computer driven with no algorithms.
Wow!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by prasha11
because insurance companies do not cover such expensive Rx.
Because insurance companies often reimburse for expenses.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I started off high right out the gate between Amex GCs and CVS. I probably hit my $6.5k within a couple of weeks. I have yet to get a fraud alert and my only experience with Amex was the BCP that I had opened 3 months before.

I do mostly CVS/grocery store so big purchases of $504.95+. I also do a big of normal spend on the card when I have a corresponding Amex Sync promotion. These can range from $5 (Dunkin Donuts) to $75 (Home Depot) thus far, 3 months later. Still no fraud alert. Totally YMMV but those who "assume" that you will definitely get a fraud alert when you mix in small purchases are incorrect. Same with my Wells Fargo card. Fraud alert on the first purchase but none sense and I actually use that card for normal spend at Grocery stores.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I started off high right out the gate between Amex GCs and CVS. I probably hit my $6.5k within a couple of weeks. I have yet to get a fraud alert and my only experience with Amex was the BCP that I had opened 3 months before.

I do mostly CVS/grocery store so big purchases of $504.95+. I also do a big of normal spend on the card when I have a corresponding Amex Sync promotion. These can range from $5 (Dunkin Donuts) to $75 (Home Depot) thus far, 3 months later. Still no fraud alert. Totally YMMV but those who "assume" that you will definitely get a fraud alert when you mix in small purchases are incorrect. Same with my Wells Fargo card. Fraud alert on the first purchase but none sense and I actually use that card for normal spend at Grocery stores.
Yes, I suspect that there are just too many variables to deduce much from individual stories. Generally my CVS purchases are $4K +, but I also sometimes have separate visits for "real" things with charges more in the $20 range, and also use the card for actual grocery shopping. Only fraud alert I recall is an out of state supermarket charge for around $50. I also got one on my BCP when I bought a gift card at a supermarket, and a few minutes later attempted to buy another for the same price.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Chase UR, Amex Blue (Old)
Alright, so after reading the wiki I have a quick question:

Does the $400 cap on "everyday purchases" apply only to gas stations or to any of the 5% categories?

If I charge $500 at CVS will I be getting the $21.xx or $25.00 (5%)?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenshin251
Alright, so after reading the wiki I have a quick question:

Does the $400 cap on "everyday purchases" apply only to gas stations or to any of the 5% categories?

If I charge $500 at CVS will I be getting the $21.xx or $25.00 (5%)?
I think the Wiki makes it pretty clear! It is gas only.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
I think the Wiki makes it pretty clear! It is gas only.
Well thanks for the confirmation!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenshin251
Well thanks for the confirmation!
But seriously, how could this be improved to avoid your confusion:

" Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. "

It mentions "gas", the Amex T&C referenced refers to gas and gasoline. Why would it refer to drug store/grocery?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. "

It mentions "gas", the Amex T&C referenced refers to gas and gasoline. Why would it refer to drug store/grocery?
While yes I agree that this is a clear answer, my only guess is that the OP doesn't know what "..." means and saw "Everyday Purchases are: ..."
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
While yes I agree that this is a clear answer, my only guess is that the OP doesn't know what "..." means and saw "Everyday Purchases are: ..."
Guys relax, it was just a quick question. We don't have to get all worked up about it.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:25 am

how is everyone doing on numbers with this , this month!!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by su9062
Slightly behind where I'd like to be, but in good enough shape to make the goal before the statement close date.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by su9062
Like 10 bucks or so
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:52 am

Got sidetracked with AGC but I've been putting plenty of regular spend on this card. Glad I have the 5%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.