Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Walgreens allowing CC purchase for Visa GC, appears seasonal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

EDIT:
NVM Ignore

Last edited by xoxx; Jun 19, 2015 at 10:06 pm
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:21 pm

Odd, since the WG by me had previously allowed buying with CC, but my last visit they said cash only. I asked why the change and it was "because of the holiday season".

It's been inconsistent with the WGs around me. Some same cash only, some limit it to one $500 card at a time. I wish they had CVS around here.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mithrin
Odd, since the WG by me had previously allowed buying with CC, but my last visit they said cash only. I asked why the change and it was "because of the holiday season".

It's been inconsistent with the WGs around me. Some same cash only, some limit it to one $500 card at a time. I wish they had CVS around here.
Ha very interesting!
My WG never even sold the Vanilla Visa until now. I assume corporate has some sort of way to determine local theft/crime and then decide whether or not to accept CC or cash.
I recall about about five years ago I purchased a Visa GC with a check since I forgot my card (Obviously before MS). Times are changing.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:54 pm

Interesting. Will give it a try. Did they ask for id? Or input you DL into the system when you bought them?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Interesting. Will give it a try. Did they ask for id? Or input you DL into the system when you bought them?
I purchased 1 vanilla visa at $500 and just swiped, signed, and left. Nothing asked.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx
I purchased 1 vanilla visa at $500 and just swiped, signed, and left. Nothing asked.
been buying VGC's with CC for quite some time now, I wonder if anything changed
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by xoxx
I tried it just now. They asked for ID and was almost about to enter the License number into the system. But he didnt. Should i be looking out for such id behaviour? Why did he want to enter the license number in the system?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
I tried it just now. They asked for ID and was almost about to enter the License number into the system. But he didnt. Should i be looking out for such id behaviour? Why did he want to enter the license number in the system?
Because they do that for all big purchases like that? Happens at all the places...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA

Will try today in the afternoon!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by tommy14
been buying VGC's with CC for quite some time now, I wonder if anything changed
Same here...Visa has always been g2g. Vanilla Reload always been no-go.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:45 pm

I saw VR at Office Depot today. What a tease.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by Ted King
I saw VR at Office Depot today. What a tease.
Wow. I'd try anyway, you never know
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
I just tried to buy a reload and was denied. It was in the computer. Albertson across the street from my nearest walgreens sells everything they do so this deal is a bust for me.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:32 pm

Stopped by one WG to check this out. All the Visa GCs were of Vanilla brand. Didn't bother even trying because they are fickle when it comes to using PIN for debit transaction.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goblue77
Stopped by one WG to check this out. All the Visa GCs were of Vanilla brand. Didn't bother even trying because they are fickle when it comes to using PIN for debit transaction.
Really? I have never ever had any issues with Vanilla. Excluding 1 I purchased online from walmart.com otherwise they have been perfect. Including all from WG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.