Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Demise of Grocery Store MS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Along similar lines: (Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I thought it was too esoteric to merit it's own thread.)

Has anyone had success in the DC area converting GCs to MOs? I knew of a chain in Indiana that was allowing but that chain isn't here in DC.

If someone PMs me, I'm happy to trade my info for yours. I'm not looking to buy a lot - I just want to hit the 3K limit on an Citi AA Ad.

I know of places that sell 500GCs but I want to check I'll have a reliable way to convert to MO before buying.

For me that's the bottleneck, not obtaining MOs. (Giant, for example, still sells them)

I'd really like to avoid having to go to Walmart, I don't like giving them my money.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Demise of Grocery Store Buys?

To the thread topic:

Haven't seen that in Central FL. Winn Dixie is my go to store. They also split tender as requested. The DD bought at Kroger in her area, no issues.

Jan-March saw 5% categories used on Chase, TD. Almost over...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Store on 8th (West Miami) ain't taking credit cards for Vanilla/Sunrise Gift Cards and Vanilla Prepaid Debits.

W-D on 8th (West Miami) ain't taking gift cards for MOs.

Seems West Miami MS is beginning to turn like a 3 day old conch fritter.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I don't make $ on WMcreditC, I make $ from sunnies I buy at WMNM where I get 5% for buying them. GCs from sunnies bought with WMcredit are transferred to prepaids and NM is now my source of GCs to pay WMcredit and funding other prepaids. this is it in a nutshell fwiw to those who can make heads or tails of it; will not work for everyone.
So you're buying VGC's with WMCC (earning 0% profit) and then paying the WMCC balance using more VGC's you bought with OBC? Seems using the WMCC is completely unnecessary here.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:04 pm

delete

Last edited by Mamibear; Mar 18, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
I got shutdown yesterday at my local big Y due to my "shopping History" they actually look up in the computer now what your previous purchases were and when you made them. 3x$1000 over the past ten days did it, I had been traveling out of the US for work and hadn't done any MSing there for months prior to December I had been able to do 2x$1000/wk without an issue. I talked to the girl for a minute and couldn't figure out if it was a hard policy or up to the individual. I could've waited for a manager but why draw attention. I'll layoff a month, and make sure to mix in a lot of regular spend even if it's multiple small purchases and try back again when she isn't working
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:07 am

I was at another vons today and all the 500 VGCs were out of stock also. I ask the cashier why Just in case they were keeping them behind the counter. He said they were probably out of stock. there were the 500 Mastercard one though.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:14 pm

delete

Last edited by zheng352; Mar 24, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Store on 8th (West Miami) ain't taking credit cards for Vanilla/Sunrise Gift Cards and Vanilla Prepaid Debits.

My local WMNM also stopped allowing vgc purchases with credit on the same day. Talked to CSR and said there is (yet another) system "enhancement" rolling out.

Another one bites the dust...

Last edited by farwest101; Mar 22, 2015 at 2:03 pm Reason: debit = credit
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy

Returned from a long trip and first time stepped in the one and only WD in my area that still let me buy with CC, bumped at the store manager who told me they require SSN to fill out a form for purchasing any of "those" gift cards. She said sorry Sweetie, it was just so many frauds that they had to do this now... No wonder there were plenty of PayPower hanging on the board...

WM here have long had the registers hardcoded to reject CC for the Sunnies but one NM register still took the AMEX HH. That is not the case any more.

Effectively there is no more grocery store source in Broward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.