Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Demise of Grocery Store MS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:02 pm

What is everyone's preferred credit card for MS at grocery stores? I've got the itch to apply for some more cards as its been a while since I got a new one. None of my current ones are particularly rewarding for grocery spend with the only ones I'd really give consideration to being Hilton Amex (5x), Club Carlson (5x), or Fidelity Amex (2% cash). But to be honest the only one worth doing of those is 2% Fidelity and I'd rather just do VRs at CVS.

I've always considered getting the Amex BCP card but at a cap of $360 (6% on $6k) offset by the annual fee it's never really been that attractive and certainly wouldn't be good for MS. I'm thinking just the 5x WF card or TD card for 6 months.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:14 pm

I don't really have one, as I only do it when the fuel perks promo is running. I'm not super excited by the options out there when i'm not getting the fuel perks. When it's on, I use all my cards and liquidate the points through all members of my household, so it's not a matter of bonus category or not.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
I typically use the PenFed card for grocery stores (3% unlimited). After the 1st of the year I'll be burning thru $6K on my BCP.....
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
What is everyone's preferred credit card for MS at grocery stores? I've got the itch to apply for some more cards as its been a while since I got a new one. None of my current ones are particularly rewarding for grocery spend with the only ones I'd really give consideration to being Hilton Amex (5x), Club Carlson (5x), or Fidelity Amex (2% cash). But to be honest the only one worth doing of those is 2% Fidelity and I'd rather just do VRs at CVS.

I've always considered getting the Amex BCP card but at a cap of $360 (6% on $6k) offset by the annual fee it's never really been that attractive and certainly wouldn't be good for MS. I'm thinking just the 5x WF card or TD card for 6 months.
Amex PRG is 2x at grocery/gas. My favorite card for MS as so easy to get lots of points relatively inexpensively. And when you can take advantage of Catalina Visa/MC promos at Safeways etc, your costs are negative. PRG also gives 15K MR bonus on $30K spend (easy peasy if doing MS at grocery), so that effectively offsets the $175 AF. You can get MRs at 0.59 cpp, which is good value, especially if you transfer to BA (and others) and take advantage of Amex transfer bonuses (which ranged from 20-35% this year). MRs are a good option for transfers to Singapore Air, getting access to their suites (can't book via partners).

Amex is my favorite CC company by a country mile - never any fraud hassles (only once when I bought a 10 $500 gcs in a row did I finally get a hold placed on my card - was surprised it took so many to get a fraud hold as the transactions were seconds apart thanks to an efficient cashier).

If you happen to have UA Club, it gets 1.5x on all spend, so a decent card if you like UA (has hefty AF, but there are offers out there that waive first year AF). Also, there's the older (no longer offered) UA Select card that gets 2x at grocery.

5x Carlson isn't worthwhile at grocery - cheaper to buy VRs/gcs at drug ($3.95/$4.95 vs $5.95). I use Surpass HH 6x at grocery. Get HH points at 0.2 cpp, which is effectively 50% discount to the 0.4c that HH values them at. Not the greatest savings, but better than nothing.

BCP is definitely a worthwhile card - just do $6K MS at grocery in January and put it away until Small Biz Saturday rolls around (make sure to get a few AUs on the card). And also use for cash back promos (like recent slew of Amex sync's). It's the gift that keeps on giving and you should get no trouble getting your $75 AF back in rebates. Easy $300+ a year cash in your pocket.

Last edited by farwest101; Dec 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Everything A-OK at SoCal Von's
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely
I typically use the PenFed card for grocery stores (3% unlimited). After the 1st of the year I'll be burning thru $6K on my BCP.....
What PenFed card gets 3% at grocery? Link please
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
+1 on AMEX PRG, although mine triggered a lot of fraud alerts in the first month or two of use. Since then it has been smooth.

I just got approved for the WF card so will see how that works. The other one that comes to mind is the US Bank Flexperks card. It's not for international premium travel but fine for domestic or international economy.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:32 pm

I was just wondering if grocery stores allowed CC purchases for GC. I just got the Amex Hilton and was hoping to be able to load the bird at WM. Going to give it a try next week.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
I do this daily
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I was just wondering if grocery stores allowed CC purchases for GC. I just got the Amex Hilton and was hoping to be able to load the bird at WM. Going to give it a try next week.
This entire thread is about exactly that...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:54 am
jk2

Originally Posted by farwest101
What PenFed card gets 3% at grocery? Link please
this is a Penfed platinum rewards. However, with their recent devaluation, their 3% is actually 2.55%.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jk2
this is a Penfed platinum rewards. However, with their recent devaluation, their 3% is actually 2.55%.
Thanks, 3x is a limited duration promo (to April 4) and not worth it as points drop to 2x. I'd do better with Fido Amex, but I wouldn't use it at grocery as gc fees are higher than drug.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely
PenFed is really 2.5% since they raised the points requirement to redeem rewards.

EDIT: Didn't see jk2's post above. Nevermind.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jk2
Exactly. I wasn't pleased. Still, I regularly get Visa prepaid cards in the mail using this card. I actually have two of them.

I'm running an Amex PRG until I cancel the card. I figure I'll get the Amex Hilton to replace this card.

I have an Amex BCP that I use as well. I have recently added an AU to this card. I also must vouch for the Amex sync.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by farwest101
Thanks, 3x is a limited duration promo (to April 4) and not worth it as points drop to 2x. I'd do better with Fido Amex, but I wouldn't use it at grocery as gc fees are higher than drug.
Luckily, I've had this card for a while so I don't have to worry about the impending devaluation for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.