Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by RIPvanilla
thats why i said at my wm in MA, not all of ma.
Want to share which MA WM so I can avoid?
Old May 30, 2014, 9:50 pm

I just loaded a OV onto my BB via the kate-kiosk at a MA walmart tonight. no issues. MO option was down though.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by grayland
How did she know it was a GC? Did you tell her when she asked "how your were going to load"?

What exactly did you tell her?

WM has always had a policy of no GCs. Some may not enforce it but it seems that many, if not most, do enforce it with many more getting tighter.
The CSR asked how I was loading it and I said it was a debit card. He asked to see it and, realizing it was obviously not one, stated the new policy.

I asked if this was something new because I had just been in WM last week loading VGCs to BB. I go to this CSR routinely because he always seems to be working when I show up and, in the past, he never cared. He said that this change in policy happened last week.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:26 am

Today I got some heat from the Teet where they have, in the past, just sold MOs without any questions. First one went through no problem. For the second, Cashier (who i have dealt with in past) asked to see my debit card (OV GC) and then told me they don't take those for mos. "you just got away with one" is what she told me before sending me on my way.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by darkeststar
Today I got some heat from the Teet where they have, in the past, just sold MOs without any questions. First one went through no problem. For the second, Cashier (who i have dealt with in past) asked to see my debit card (OV GC) and then told me they don't take those for mos. "you just got away with one" is what she told me before sending me on my way.
There are obvious, if dishonest, ways around this.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cosmicapex
Almost any competent bank employee wouldn't let a check or MO go through their system unless it was properly filled out completely. They can get in a lot of trouble.
They really can't get into a lot of trouble for this, at least at most institutions the money gram money orders will be accepted with just a payee's name. Most competent bank employees would know that the others parts do not make a difference.
Old May 31, 2014, 5:39 am

Last night I tried to buy two MOs at WM using the VGC and OV combination. A slip printed says - "Required Cash or Debit". I did purchase at the same WM couple of days back. Now no way to proceed. Turned back home.. Where else can I buy cheap MO using these VGC? USPS allows with VGC? we don't have Kroger and Meijer.

Last edited by geewitz71; May 31, 2014 at 5:58 am
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by geewitz71
Last night I tried to buy two MOs at WM using the VGC and OV combination. A slip printed says - "Required Cash or Debit". I did purchase at the same WM couple of days back. Now no way to proceed. Turned back home.. Where else can I buy cheap MO using these VGC? USPS allows with VGC? we don't have Kroger and Meijer.

If the WIki was updated it would help but IT IS NOT

what state you in?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
They really can't get into a lot of trouble for this, at least at most institutions the money gram money orders will be accepted with just a payee's name. Most competent bank employees would know that the others parts do not make a difference.
FWIW, I accidentally deposited a WU MO with absolutely nothing on the front filled out and it seems to have gone through without issue so far
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by darkeststar
Is Teet pretty good in general for getting MO for MS? Have you tried again since then and what location? Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:37 pm

its definitely dead at my WM in MA. There's no work around option either so please save the cute remarks.
Nimble fingers will excite even your cold, dead MA register to action

Last edited by Alcibiades; Jun 2, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:57 pm

Can someone please help via this forum or PM, either is fine. I have tried so many ways to buy an MO from a moneygram center, NOT WM, using a VGC (Vanilla) and that fails all the time. Has anyone gotten it to work? I will keep trying other cards, OV and USBAnk, and others. For now, has anyone gotten the VGC to work at a MoneyGram store for MO, that is not WM??

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:55 pm

its definitely dead at my WM in MA. There's no work around option either so please save the cute remarks.
Extremely doubtful.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Nimble fingers will excite even your cold, dead MA register to action
My nice and smart (good combination) CSR at Walmart will do the "cancel" for me when I am too old for this stuff.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Is Teet pretty good in general for getting MO for MS? Have you tried again since then and what location? Thanks!
This one was in DC. Store used to be great. I've bought there many times before, generally two at a time, and they couldn't have cared less what I was doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.