Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bitcoin for manufactured spend

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Interesting story on Bitcoin here: FINCEN is definitely watching....
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by laflyguy
Investing on credit is probably the most dangerous thing you can do. If you know about investing, then go ahead.

And if you think that you know about investing, you probably do not.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by agp423
Investing on credit is probably the most dangerous thing you can do. If you know about investing, then go ahead.

And if you think that you know about investing, you probably do not.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I'm sure there are a lot of arguments why it is different this time........but I can't help but think of the "tulip craze" when I hear about bitcoin.

Virtual money....yeah right
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:45 am

There is a whole ecosystem getting created around bitcoin. But still a very volatile investment and definitely a no no for MS
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by TaxiApple
I'm sure there are a lot of arguments why it is different this time........but I can't help but think of the "tulip craze" when I hear about bitcoin.

Virtual money....yeah right
Absolutely

Originally Posted by pantanal
There is a whole ecosystem getting created around bitcoin. But still a very volatile investment and definitely a no no for MS
Agreed except with calling it an "investment" which it is not. It is just wild speculation.

I'm really hoping someone goes in big here so we can have a good laugh telling you "told you so" when your money goes up in smoke
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:48 am

agree

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Absolutely

Agreed except with calling it an "investment" which it is not. It is just wild speculation.

I'm really hoping someone goes in big here so we can have a good laugh telling you "told you so" when your money goes up in smoke
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
not to mention most of the sites that allow credit card funding for bitcoin are dodgy at best
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Bringing up this older thread because circle.com has just gone live for all. There are no transaction fees (one of the bigger reasons folks said MS via bitcoin would be unfeasible).

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/29/c...-opens-to-all/

Might be a good time to regroup and see if we can make this possible.

Edit: I just checked and the processing fee for CC transactions is 2.90% with Circle. I guess if you are speculating on BTC rising in value, you could net out the fee.

Last edited by vivrant; Oct 9, 2014 at 11:00 am Reason: added in the actual processing fee
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by vivrant
Bringing up this older thread because circle.com has just gone live for all. There are no transaction fees (one of the bigger reasons folks said MS via bitcoin would be unfeasible).

Edit: I just checked and the processing fee for CC transactions is 2.90% with Circle. I guess if you are speculating on BTC rising in value, you could net out the fee.
Eager to hear if anyone has done this and how the transaction showed up (Purchase or Cash Advance) and what if any limits there are?

I'll give it a try soon myself. While the 2.9% rate isn't attractive enough for just earning points month/month, it's still potentially a good avenue for meeting large minimum spend requirements.

FWIW:
Warning about possible CC cash advance fees include's Circles MCC code: https://support.circle.com/hc/en-us/...edit-Card-Fees

Limits aren't clear... aparently there is something called and instant access limit which goes up as your transaction history gets established, otherwise your funds are tied up in the account while transaction tak 3-5 days to clear. This is risky with how volatile BC currently is.

Last edited by jb510; Oct 9, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jb510
Eager to hear if anyone has done this and how the transaction showed up (Purchase or Cash Advance) and what if any limits there are?

I'll give it a try soon myself. While the 2.9% rate isn't attractive enough for just earning points month/month, it's still potentially a good avenue for meeting large minimum spend requirements.

FWIW:
Warning about possible CC cash advance fees include's Circles MCC code: https://support.circle.com/hc/en-us/...edit-Card-Fees

Limits aren't clear... aparently there is something called and instant access limit which goes up as your transaction history gets established, otherwise your funds are tied up in the account while transaction tak 3-5 days to clear. This is risky with how volatile BC currently is.
Just tried a trial with PPDMC, and transaction was denied. Certainly not going to contact PP to figure out if it was them....but it was probably PP who denied it.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Citi TY, Amex MR, Chase UR, Choice CP, Marriott MR, AGR, RapidRewards
I had tried to load circle.com with BlueBird checking.
It linked the account, I saw the cents deposits but the withdrawal ultimately failed. I was up $12 before they pulled the BTC back.

@henrythefourth
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:14 am

I thought with Bluebird that it is only push out from bluebird only and unable to be pulled from outside
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:04 am

Also tried beans gc. Upon entering the # it says there's been an error, try again.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by vivrant

Since BTC has dropped like 50% in value in the last couple weeks, I would tread lightly. That should be obvious tho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.