Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

denied purchase and phone call to amex questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:44 am
Original Poster

dh went yesterday to buy 2K VR, SPG amex was denied. I called to see why it was denied and the person I talked to said she was from some financial dept and they were about to call me as they were seeing some transactions for gift cards at a drug store. she went on to ask me a few questions.

1) was I buying gift cards
2) why was I buying gift cards
3) was I trying to get the bonus
4) did I plan to continue this at the same level in the future

I am new to churning and MS and was not sure what to think about this. and had a few questions about my conversation

question 3 should I have answered yes to this?

should I be concerned about future spending on this card. I have now met my minimum spend but wanted to do some MS(only a little) on this card

anything I should now about what I might have done wrong to cause this? or what it might mean to my future churning/ MS?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:01 am

1) yes
2) holiday shopping
3) i was going to buy these anyway. I put them on the card to help meet the minimum spend. do you not want my business?
4) can i not? if i'd like to buy relatives gift cards for holidays, are you suggesting I use a different card instead?

turn it back on them to find out if they're asking you questions just to remove future fraud alerts or potentially flagging you for perk abuse/shutdown. BE POLITE THE WHOLE TIME YOU'RE ON THE PHONE.

I would add something like "I'm very sorry if this/these transaction(s) have caused a headache for your department. I'm very busy with my work and family, and I just thought it'd be easiest to knock out some of my birthday and holiday gift shopping while I was at CVS getting some other things this week."
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:44 am

If you were buying VRs, then you technically weren't buying "gift cards."
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:17 am

that's strange that you have had issues with SPG, I have a new SPG card (probably 6-8 weeks old) and have been buying VR's with it to meet the 5k spend without any issue. I do $1000 each time and I guess I was a bit slow in starting the purchases due to meeting spend on Citi Executive AA card which I value more.

I'd agree with the previous poster's remarks. I don't think they have a problem with it, just seeking clarification.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:22 am

Should only have to do this once. I told them I will typically be making large purchases at gas stations and drug stores. Never had them question it again.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Likely this CVS provides kind of like Level III line item details to Amex.
Try to check if this store is L3 line item reporting on Visa suppliers locator site.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I think this is often for people who are spending large amount of money on a new card. I tried to charge 3K (on GC/VR) on the second day I got my business gold. Got hit with FR, not much happened. They just lowered my credit limit. I did spend over $10 faxing my tax returns and stuff at Office Depot. That place is evil. Not to mention they won't let you buy VGC with CCs.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:51 am
Original Poster

thanks all. I feel better now. not sure I answered the questions the way I should of as I got scared and said it would not be going on to the level it was.

she told me it was to make sure I was not cashing out for cash because of money issues but as I am new it made me nervous
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by agp423
I think this is often for people who are spending large amount of money on a new card. I tried to charge 3K (on GC/VR) on the second day I got my business gold. Got hit with FR, not much happened. They just lowered my credit limit. I did spend over $10 faxing my tax returns and stuff at Office Depot. That place is evil. Not to mention they won't let you buy VGC with CCs.
i went to OD last weekend to buy shell gift card and the cashier and manager told me i have to buy them with cash only! i thought that was weird as i've seen them say that for gift cards/VR but not gas card...grrr!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA

Please try to read as much as you can about this hobby. Mistakes can be very costly.

I will give you a few things you always do:
Make sure the pin field is not scratched
Check the receipt to make sure the "Activation" is there
Never go anywhere else and leave these in your car. This is cash. Go home or keep this with you if you have to be at another place
Never throw away the receipt until loaded. I keep my receipts for 30 days
Dont start each card with a home run
Slowly increase your spending.

But read, read. I am still learning from the pros

Personally I value Amex a lot so no MS. But that is just me. So my personal advise in your situation is not to pay your Amex with BB. Too obvious for now

Happy MS!

Last edited by lacuadra; Nov 13, 2013 at 11:29 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:58 pm

?

Amex is far and away the most lenient for MS. And if they have a concern, they issue a FR which gives you a chance to prove your financial qualifications. Chase/Citi/BoA et al simply close your account w/out notice and you almost have no chance to get accounts reopened. I'd be more concerned with Chase et al than Amex.

Amex rarely has fraud alerts. Only once has Amex ever had an issue with my activities - only after 10 consecutive $505.95 charges at Safeway using the same card was there a fraud alert. It wasn't the dollar amount, just the repeated swipes of same amount so close together. It seemed a reasonable threshold.

Keep you receipts for at least a year. Resolving disputes with gcs/VRs can take many months. 30 days is way too short.

Zero problem using BB to pay Amex. I've paid dozens of Amex bills and have zero concerns doing so.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
?
Keep you receipts for at least a year. Resolving disputes with gcs/VRs can take many months. 30 days is way too short.

Zero problem using BB to pay Amex. I've paid dozens of Amex bills and have zero concerns doing so.
Good to know.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL
Just curious, how much are you guys pushing through an Amex on average? I'm a little bit concerned about doing MS on my new Amex. I'll probably get a FR eventually but I do want to push back the inevitable. Any advice? Do you think buying 1 VR every 2 days and paying the balance off each week on a 10k CL is a good way to establish pattern?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Can you tell me why you keep them for close to a year? And do you make photocopies or scan them?
My usually load and pay off a week before statement. Plus CVS receipts fade easily within a couple of months. Maybe the latter is a local issue.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by lacuadra
Never go anywhere else and leave these in your car. This is cash. Go home or keep this with you if you have to be at another place
I tuck them in my underwear as soon as I leave the store. Sometimes while I'm still in the store if I see any sketchy characters nearby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.