Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Does anyone Manufacture with zero loss or even profit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Seems like all of the MS opportunities have slowly gotten more and more expensive to do. The Bigcrumbs card purchase looks like it will no longer be. While there are still an insane amount of savings to be had, I am curious to know if anyone is still MS without a loss (or even making a profit)?

And i'm not asking you to spill the beans here. Just curious to know if anyone is still capable of doing it.

Edit:
I am looking to find if anyone is still getting value and coming out green after all expenses.

Last edited by xoxx; Oct 24, 2013 at 4:41 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:05 pm

I'm guessing you have a different definition of "profit" than most here, but I would imagine that everyone here is manufacturing spend for a profit. Cash back minus card fees and time or individually determined cash value of points/miles minus card fees and time - I think for everyone here, these equations come out positive.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zs58
I'm guessing you have a different definition of "profit" than most here, but I would imagine that everyone here is manufacturing spend for a profit. Cash back minus card fees and time or individually determined cash value of points/miles minus card fees and time - I think for everyone here, these equations come out positive.
No, I know everyone here is gaining increased value.
Im curious to know if anyone is breaking even after expense of card fees, or any other fees etc.

I am not currently aware of any standing CC offers that would provide enough cash back to alleviate the VR fee.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:09 pm

Yeah, not sure what we are defining here as "profit" or "loss", but if you don't like just accumulating miles while spending $$, you can always sell some of your miles to cover the expenses. Just google "selling miles" or lookup on FW.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx
No, I know everyone here is gaining increased value.
Im curious to know if anyone is breaking even after expense of card fees, or any other fees etc.

I am not currently aware of any standing CC offers that would provide enough cash back to alleviate the VR fee.
Miles and points have value. This value is greater than the cash value of various card fees and transactional expenses, hence, we do this.

What is the point of this question? The (obvious) answer is in the pudding - MS occurs.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:15 pm

As others have said, all depends on definition. Can I take out the 1cpp for UR in order to balance out the fee? Sure. Will I? Hell no. I still consider it a 'profitable' game, but thats only because I figure I'll want to take vacations regardless, and prefer to do it on the cheap and in style.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
OP is asking, as I understand, if anyone sees a way to offset MS fees (like 3.95 on VR purchase)...
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Si. Several of the tricks in my bag have no costs involved. And old tricks, like getting Chase gift cards on no fee or fee waived cards did as well.

Seems like all of the MS opportunities have slowly gotten more and more expensive to do. The Bigcrumbs card purchase looks like it will no longer be. While there are still an insane amount of savings to be had, I am curious to know if anyone is still MS without a loss (or even making a profit)?

And i'm not asking you to spill the beans here. Just curious to know if anyone is still capable of doing it.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:21 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by pier11
OP is asking, as I understand, if anyone sees a way to offset MS fees (like 3.95 on VR purchase)...
While I don't necessarily have a method to do this... other than in some small $50 increments that take a long time and are more of a hassle than it's worth. If I DID know of a way to do this for the bigger amounts ($200-500) I would definitely NOT be saying anything on here. That would get shut down so fast... it's one of those things better left unsaid.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
even VR at 1x should let u come on top, no? 5 bucks to cover 3.95? if u only do cash back and not miles/points
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:31 pm

Yes.

(added to meet five-character minimum message length)
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to find if anyone is still getting value and coming out green after all costs.

Last edited by xoxx; Oct 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:46 pm

Ok I guess my undergraduate finance major in college has forced me to use words in an uncommon way.

Profit=Realized benefits which exceed costs.
Value= Quality/Price

I know everyone gains Value because a few bucks is nothing compared to the true market cost. Thats a no brainer for everyone here.

I am looking to find if anyone is still getting value and coming out green after all costs.
Lol, ok buddy, whatever you say...

Yes, there are ways to generate enough cash to more than offset fees, or to zero out the fees themselves. Trying to get folks to divulge anything beyond the obvious stuff is trying to get blood from the proverbial stone.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zs58
Lol, ok buddy, whatever you say...

Yes, there are ways to generate enough cash to more than offset fees, or to zero out the fees themselves. Trying to get folks to divulge anything beyond the obvious stuff is trying to get blood from the proverbial stone.
Did you read the whole thing?

Last edited by xoxx; Oct 25, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:05 pm

well if you use a cash back card like the wells fargo 5% back at drug stores and buy VR you come out ahead right away without any travel needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.