Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I got my BB card today and successfully loaded $400 of VGCs I bought at Staples with my AmEx Business Open Cash card. I thought I read someone who transferred his BB account balance to his checking account and paid his AmEx bill from there. Is that possible or was that on Serve?
I couldn't find a link to add an external account to send money to on BB website.
Pay and Transfer dropdown menu
Pay a Bill
Add Payee
Search for American Express, select, enter your account number
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Pay and Transfer dropdown menu
Pay a Bill
Add Payee
Search for American Express, select, enter your account number
Yeah, no need to transfer to your bank, just pay AMEX directly.

Many of us have been doing this for years with AFAIK no reports of any problems from doing that.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:26 am

I see that people have success just paying their credit card bill through Bluebird. Is this not advisable if you are paying off the credit card you are manufactured spending on? Also does anyone pay other bills using Bluebird, mortgage, utilities etc?

Last edited by Bostin; Nov 30, 2015 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Bostin
I see that people have success just paying their credit card bill through Bluebird. Is this not advisable if you are paying off the credit card you are manufactured spending on? Also does anyone pay other bills using Bluebird, mortgage, utilities etc?
Yes, no, yes, yes, and yes.

Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by RJP3
Yes, no, yes, yes, and yes.

Great, thank you! I did my first $500 VGC purchase recently and was able to successfully load it to my Bluebird account at WM. If I am paying a bill through the Bluebird bill pay service, should I turn off the automatic payment for that particular bill I am guessing? That would seem logical to me, but I was hoping for advise from experts!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:12 am

Great, thank you! I did my first $500 VGC purchase recently and was able to successfully load it to my Bluebird account at WM. If I am paying a bill through the Bluebird bill pay service, should I turn off the automatic payment for that particular bill I am guessing?
Another "yes"

But don't forget to pay it... @:-)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by RJP3
Another "yes"

But don't forget to pay it... @:-)
Awesome...can't thank you enough!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:20 pm

Now RedBird (target) is useless should convert back to BB or serve?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Now RedBird (target) is useless should convert back to BB or serve?
I have 2 RB accounts, really enjoyed them, but now need to change back to BB or give Serve a try. Regarding Serve, I have 2 of the 'old' Serve temp cards, that came in the box, each with $10 on them. I haven't changed from RB yet, so I'm guessing a 30 day wait, once I cancel RB, B/F signing up for Serve?

Can I apply for permanent Serve on line?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by cvasara
I have 2 RB accounts, really enjoyed them, but now need to change back to BB or give Serve a try. Regarding Serve, I have 2 of the 'old' Serve temp cards, that came in the box, each with $10 on them. I haven't changed from RB yet, so I'm guessing a 30 day wait, once I cancel RB, B/F signing up for Serve?

Maybe ask in the Serve thread, instead of the Bluebird thread.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:12 am

Great, thank you! I did my first $500 VGC purchase recently and was able to successfully load it to my Bluebird account at WM. If I am paying a bill through the Bluebird bill pay service, should I turn off the automatic payment for that particular bill I am guessing? That would seem logical to me, but I was hoping for advise from experts!
AFAIK, there have been no reports of problems paying off cc MS bills with BB. Many of us have been doing that for several years.

As for turning off automatic bill payment, usually this is not necessary. The auto payment is for the amount due. If you have already paid in advance, there is nothing due, and no auto payment is made. The advantage of leaving the auto payment on is that if for some reason in the future you forget to make the payment, the auto payment system does it for you.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by tontod
When loading to BB yesterday at the MC, the system prompted for a drivers license, never seen this before. Anyone else experience this? Maybe amex (or walmart?) is trying to ensure that the name on the BB card matches the person trying to load?
Originally Posted by manispend
I've had it happen once about a year ago in the STL area. I questioned why she neeeded to see it and the clerk said the system prompted her for it.
I had the same problem in Cali with the system prompting for drivers liccense, but they also asked for SSN, birthday, address, and everything on my DL including occupation?? which I gave to them stupidly since I was trying to load while extremely tired and just wanted to get out of there. The SSN should have been a huge flag to me already but I didn't catch it until I left and realized how stupid it was.

I was loading 1k which was their max hard coded into the register. This was at a regular WM, not super WM, but also not neighborhood WM. Anyone know how screwed I am for giving them all this info or what this will do to my BB loads?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cvasara

As long as all your payments have cleared, as soon as you cancel your RC you can sign up for serve on line.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by blsnk
I was loading 1k which was their max hard coded into the register. This was at a regular WM, not super WM, but also not neighborhood WM. Anyone know how screwed I am for giving them all this info or what this will do to my BB loads?
no one can tell future consequences of giving them all your info including SSN; it all depends on who gets hold of your info and what they'll do with it.

as to your BB loading, if you can go to a WMSupercenter with Kate, that's your best shot w/o having to interact with a cashier.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:09 am

Can I Load OVs with a Cashier?

I'm $100 short on my BB loads for this month. I have $100 left on a OV GC. I know I can load that to BB, at $49.99 per load at Kate. But Kate lives some distance from me, and I don't really want to drive all the way over there just to load $99.98. Does anyone know if I can do two $49.99 OV loads with a cashier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.