Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PedroNY
So another data point. I met a cashier at Walmart who had her last day at work and was moving across country, she was excited, chatty and was willing to load my BB.

Long story short, 5 loads $500x5 on a single BB, all from 1 register. I really wanted to know if there is a $1999.99 limit per register -- it appears there isn't one.

Before anyone jumps on me to "stay under radar" and all of that, this cashier offered to load as many times as I wanted, there was no one behind me and I never load (or plan to) more than 2x$500 with a human at a time. But this experiment worked, and it was on 10/23.

Cheers,

PedroNY
The $1999.99 is the limit at Kate, it will freeze / break down if $2000 is attempted in 10 minutes.

The register's limit is $1000 at some stores, and always limited to 4 swipes, including the swipe of the BB/Serve - so it could maximum load $1500 in theory though I always just load $1000.

I always load at MC or CS desk as it is MUCH FASTER than at Kate not to mention Kate has become endangered species in my area. I would offer to go back in line if there are others lining up. More than half of the time the cashier actually told me no need to do so, and insisted to finish all my stuff.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Happy
The $1999.99 is the limit at Kate, it will freeze / break down if $2000 is attempted in 10 minutes.

The register's limit is $1000 at some stores, and always limited to 4 swipes, including the swipe of the BB/Serve - so it could maximum load $1500 in theory though I always just load $1000.

I always load at MC or CS desk as it is MUCH FASTER than at Kate not to mention Kate has become endangered species in my area. I would offer to go back in line if there are others lining up. More than half of the time the cashier actually told me no need to do so, and insisted to finish all my stuff.
Happy, they added a double asterisk item in the Limits section of Fees and Limits for daily loads: Cash (includes Swipe Reload) $2,500 per day**

**Up to $1,999.99 per day at Walmart registers.

You can find it here. Scroll down to Limits and you'll find the reference:
https://www.bluebird.com/faqs?linkna...ees-and-limits

PedroNY, many thanks for verifying this new limit isn't enforced/coded into registers. I will make a change on the wiki.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Switching From RB to BB

I just closed my redcard on Friday and applied for a bluebird card. However, it was not instantly approved. After about 24 hours, I received the following email:
Sorry, we are unable to approve you for an Account at this time. Thank you for your interest in Bluebird. If you have any questions please contact customer service by calling 1-877-486-5990.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? No one else in my family experienced this. I called prior to receiving the email and they told me they didn't need any more information so I'm not sure what the issue is. Not that this counts but I have excellent credit and banking history. Any insight will be appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:47 am

Just got back from Wally. I'm new to this so I decided to start out small. Bought two visa variable loads for 50 each (sunrise bank). Went to KATE to load via BB and when I swiped card one I got "tender not allowed". Thought maybe Kate was the issue and had the same problem with cashier load. Did I mess something up? I've been reading pretty thoroughly and didn't expect the failure. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by AyAech
Just got back from Wally. I'm new to this so I decided to start out small. Bought two visa variable loads for 50 each (sunrise bank). Went to KATE to load via BB and when I swiped card one I got "tender not allowed". Thought maybe Kate was the issue and had the same problem with cashier load. Did I mess something up? I've been reading pretty thoroughly and didn't expect the failure. Any thoughts?
Some cards have an issue where they aren't activated immediately after being bought. Check if your card is usable by calling the number on the back or visiting the website to see if there are available funds. You might also want to reset the PIN because that's another common issue.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Another recommendation in addition to Phanom707's comments.

The difference between profitable and money losing MS can be a very small percentage. With a variable card for $50, you paid about 10% in fees. While it's good to do a test load, I recommend only one GC for a test rather than two small GCs.
Once you figure out how to load your BB, get the maximum amount put on GCs to reduce the percentage of fees.

$4.95 in fees for:
$50 GC = 9.9%
$500 GC = .99%
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Another recommendation in addition to Phanom707's comments.

The difference between profitable and money losing MS can be a very small percentage. With a variable card for $50, you paid about 10% in fees. While it's good to do a test load, I recommend only one GC for a test rather than two small GCs.
Once you figure out how to load your BB, get the maximum amount put on GCs to reduce the percentage of fees.

$4.95 in fees for:
$50 GC = 9.9%
$500 GC = .99%

Thanks for this. I completely get it. My WM is actually about 2 min from a Simon Mall so I'll be hitting that once i get my feet under me. I just purchased the two smaller as a way to dip my toe into the water. Totally understand the point though.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
Some cards have an issue where they aren't activated immediately after being bought. Check if your card is usable by calling the number on the back or visiting the website to see if there are available funds. You might also want to reset the PIN because that's another common issue.
Thanks for the quick response. In retrospect, trying to load the card 20 seconds after they were rung up was probably a recipe for failure. The receipt says that both cards were activated but i'm sure that not necessarily the case.

Edit: Yea, I just checked them online and both are showing 0.00 balances. I tried to call the number on the back but it doesn't appear that there's a way to get a human on the phone. I'll check the balances tomorrow to see if there is any change.

Last edited by AyAech; Oct 26, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:54 pm

Thanks for this. I completely get it. My WM is actually about 2 min from a Simon Mall so I'll be hitting that once i get my feet under me. I just purchased the two smaller as a way to dip my toe into the water. Totally understand the point though.
I use Simon Mall cards almost exclusively. While it takes a little bit of time to get from Simon Mall to a WM (maybe 10 minutes), I've never had the issue of having to wait until the card's activated.

You do have to set the PIN on SMGCs, but it will give you the GC balance in the process of setting the PIN. I have SM's GC number on speed dial in my phone, (866) 325-6238, and call it to set my PIN. I always use the same PIN number for all of my cards to make life easier when unloading the GCs.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
You do have to set the PIN on SMGCs
The default PIN is the last 4 digits on the card. I just use that if I'm unloading right after purchase. If I'm holding them for awhile I'll go through the trouble of calling to set the PIN.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Simon Mall cards almost exclusively. While it takes a little bit of time to get from Simon Mall to a WM (maybe 10 minutes), I've never had the issue of having to wait until the card's activated.

You do have to set the PIN on SMGCs, but it will give you the GC balance in the process of setting the PIN. I have SM's GC number on speed dial in my phone, (866) 325-6238, and call it to set my PIN. I always use the same PIN number for all of my cards to make life easier when unloading the GCs.
No you dont need to set a PIN with SMGC. A total waste of time.

Originally Posted by mattp1987
The default PIN is the last 4 digits on the card. I just use that if I'm unloading right after purchase. If I'm holding them for awhile I'll go through the trouble of calling to set the PIN.
SMGC is very safe if you understand how they handle the cards. Each CSR has his / her own pouch, much like the drawer of the register that each cashier takes it with him / her. And they are responsible for the inventories of their pouches. No card is hanging outside. No chance for any tempering because the cards has nothing to peel / scratch off. Plus the fact that ONLY the employees would handle the cards before selling it. it is 100% traceable.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy, they added a double asterisk item in the Limits section of Fees and Limits for daily loads: Cash (includes Swipe Reload) $2,500 per day**

**Up to $1,999.99 per day at Walmart registers.

You can find it here. Scroll down to Limits and you'll find the reference:
https://www.bluebird.com/faqs?linkna...ees-and-limits

PedroNY, many thanks for verifying this new limit isn't enforced/coded into registers. I will make a change on the wiki.
No, it is not a new "added" language.

This language has looong been there and the community has figured out ong time ago that it is just a mistake by BB site - what it actually meant is to load it at the kiosk because there is indeed a button for Blue Bird on the screen.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
No you dont need to set a PIN with SMGC. A total waste of time.
Thanks for the correction. I read that you had to set the PIN on the card and have always done that. I'll start using the last 4.

No, it is not a new "added" language.

This language has looong been there and the community has figured out ong time ago that it is just a mistake by BB site - what it actually meant is to load it at the kiosk because there is indeed a button for Blue Bird on the screen.
Thanks for the correction; there were a few posts recently that this was a recent change in the T&C. I never noticed it before and bought into it being a recent change. I hadn't read the Fees and Limits section closely in more than a year and didn't see it there when I read the section closely. I bought into it being a very recent change, as per other posts.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So you bought two Sunnies then proceed walk over and to drain them? That is real smart.........
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1
so you bought two sunnies then proceed walk over and to drain them? That is real smart.........
this is why we cant have nice things

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.