Wiki Posts
Search

Any One Remember Simple Simon?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Several dozen
Any One Remember Simple Simon?

Back in the days of the mint when Cardinal Fang nixed AMEX GCs for playing Heavy Metal (they were used to goose the haul when the mint put transaction limits on individual CCs), the game Simple Simon was useful for using AMEX to buy nonAMEX GCs (mintworthy then and pinable now for paper recycling) to assist the mint with inventory liquidation. Simple Simon ran an $11.90 per 1K overhead cost but allowed AMEX cards to be able to come out and play. Anyone remember Simple Simon? Anyone playing Simple Simon these days for generating AMEX spend? As I recall Simon Says no identification as a GC purchase which can produce an invitation to a Vatican BBQ.

Just PM. Considering a 16K AMEX gen (not all in one shot) as I am short miles in inventory for a dash across the Pacific. Even at 16 x $11.90 + 16 x $1.38 the net transaction is profitable although plastic recycling is more expensive than an alternative 16 x $1.38 pure paper recycling play (where the miles would come out via Wally World), since a Simon play would trip a Starwoods AMEX 5k bump.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
So much code in here that I can't follow what's going on... and I remember being on the same threads with AlohaDK back when the mint was going strong.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I look forward to your posts, Dave, they're always very entertaining.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
I remember Simple Jack. Does that count?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:01 pm

does anyone else read ADK's post and instantly have a comedy skit play in their head with his wife asking him if he could take care of a household chore, ADK starting to reply in code, and her cutting him off with, 'oh forget it, i'll do it myself' as she puts her hand up, rolls her eyes and walks away. followed by a though bubble above ADK's head, 'works like a charm'. anyone else?

maybe it's just me...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:10 pm

FYI, Simon brought out his uncle wearing a red cassock when I started playing with ice cream back in the heavy metal days.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:40 am

I'm guessing Simon charges a lower fee in person versus online? And I was just at a physical location yesterday, walked right past the display and didnt look because I figured the fees had to be marked up quite a bit.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:39 am
Original Poster

The concept concerns whether Simple Simon offers a way to spin AMEX into nonAMEX DCs for paper recycling. You can use AMEX for AMEX GCs but AMEX cardinals hate on it and those GCs aren't good for the great Wally World paper recyling drive.

Problem is AMEX did a fraud block on Simple Simon in testing. Simon allows use of AMEX credit cards, but AMEX seems to hate on Simon now.

The question is now "Is there another 'Simon' that allows use of AMEX to obtain nonAMEX DCs?"

Originally Posted by Mihiker
I'm guessing Simon charges a lower fee in person versus online? And I was just at a physical location yesterday, walked right past the display and didnt look because I figured the fees had to be marked up quite a bit.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Indeed? Back then I Simonized spend when uncle killed the use of AMEX GCs and then assisted inventory reduction with V and MC GCs. Guess I missed a visit from uncle?

Originally Posted by ironfist99
FYI, Simon brought out his uncle wearing a red cassock when I started playing with ice cream back in the heavy metal days.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by chubbuni13
So much code in here that I can't follow what's going on... and I remember being on the same threads with AlohaDK back when the mint was going strong.
ADK's threads crack me up. Keem 'em coming
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:04 am

funny post but wth is simple simon?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex just blocked one account? Get one for your wife, no?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Indeed I multitask, but getting AMEX to accept a play date with Simon or his friend with the Yellow Rubber Ducky is not working so far. I can workaround my need to stripmine AA miles flooding cash into the debit card account

Originally Posted by josephstern
Amex just blocked one account? Get one for your wife, no?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any stranger, out comes the yellow rubber ducky.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Indeed I multitask, but getting AMEX to accept a play date with Simon or his friend with the Yellow Rubber Ducky is not working so far. I can workaround my need to stripmine AA miles flooding cash into the debit card account
This is a joke...right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.