Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green Dot MoneyPak

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by zgrzfg
Went to the RA store during lung time today and was told Moneypak now only can be purchased with debit card or cash. This is the store which I made most of moneypak card purchase and all cashiers are friendly and never check ID. anyone else?
All RA in my area went Cash + Debit only for all GD products. Sucks.
I am not sure if it's hard coded, but I know they all have a similar sign saying that now, so it's not a store-by-store deal. One cashier told me it started on July 28.

Edit: I guess it has already been discussed in this thread: Green Dot MoneyPak
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
A counter point to the argument above (cash vs. credit cards) is that it's a lot easier to steal a CC number than $500. At the end of the day, if a customer buys a MP with cash, it's a legit transaction that won't get reversed. With a CC, the potential for fraud is higher. So from the vendor's standpoint, going to cash only reduces the number of fraudulent transactions.

If the objective is to fight money laundering or other criminal activity, then yes - CCs offer better tracking than a cash purchase.
What will the excuse be when EMV liability shift takes place then?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by vinhboy
All RA in my area went Cash + Debit only for all GD products. Sucks.
I am not sure if it's hard coded, but I know they all have a similar sign saying that now, so it's not a store-by-store deal. One cashier told me it started on July 28.

Edit: I guess it has already been discussed in this thread: Green Dot MoneyPak
It's not hard coded. If you get some cashiers that don't really give a .... you can tell them you're paying debit and swipe a CC anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by payeco
It's not hard coded. If you get some cashiers that don't really give a .... you can tell them you're paying debit and swipe a CC anyway.
Hard coded as of few days ago. I tried. Another one bites the dust...
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:31 pm

it's hard coded, at least at my usual place and area, very friendly cashier tried for me but was a no go.....
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
It's not hard coded as I bought two this am. She did two transactions of 500.00 each.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by rezzor
it's hard coded, at least at my usual place and area, very friendly cashier tried for me but was a no go.....
Hmm, it was working as of Sunday just east of you. When did you try in Bellevue?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Stuff is not hardcoded - I used by Delta debit card first and "accidentally" introduced the wrong PIN; at second run I had the credit option. I just decided to run it as debit to not let my nice CRS get mad at me (after all RA does have other goodies!).

The trick is to beat the CRS to the "debit" button on the screen and swipe card first...
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Hmm, it was working as of Sunday just east of you. When did you try in Bellevue?

couple hours ago at Eastgate. I go there very often just for GD so it's possible that it was his way of doing it nicely. I bought some on Saturday without problem.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:23 pm

Please don't f up the RA stores on the Eastside buying GD MoneyPaks with CC. There is plenty of other product to buy. Most of the RA on the Eastide are getting really skittish and the last thing we need is regional or corporate coming down any harder on them.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Please don't f up the RA stores on the Eastside buying GD MoneyPaks with CC. There is plenty of other product to buy. Most of the RA on the Eastide are getting really skittish and the last thing we need is regional or corporate coming down any harder on them.
It's 100% a corporate memo. Buy while you still can.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:53 pm

Yes, I've seen the memo and yes, it's not hard coded (like Safeway, RA is incapable of hard coding anything). The problem is collateral damage. For example, a couple jackasses bought more than 10K in a day at Overlake a month ago. Corporate came down hard on the store. Daily limit went from 10K to 5K. Now the limit is 3K. Think longer term.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:24 pm

Yes, I've seen the memo and yes, it's not hard coded (like Safeway, RA is incapable of hard coding anything). The problem is collateral damage. For example, a couple jackasses bought more than 10K in a day at Overlake a month ago. Corporate came down hard on the store. Daily limit went from 10K to 5K. Now the limit is 3K. Think longer term.
Longer term? Its already over at RA...

If you are talking long term at other RA locations, I wouldn't expect them to last long.

IMO, this came from GD, not RA.

Last edited by cashback; Aug 4, 2014 at 11:31 pm
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:48 pm

Already over? Huh? MoneyPaks would be my last choice for MS at RA.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:54 am

Sounds like corporate is already been alerted then. I only buy 1 to 2 cards at a time from a variety of RA on the eastside so I doubt that raises an eyebrow if someone is going around buying in that quantity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.