Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
This is how my WM-GC-BB trip went today.

1. Go to ATM machine - still out of service (same as yesterday).
2. Go to Money Center - the line is out the door.
3. Go to cash register. Got cashier to load 4 x $500 GCs. Withdrew to make room for the line behind.
4. Go to cash register #2 to load remaining $1K. Register spits out "debit failed. Call bank." Next GC, same thing. No idea why, as I got these the same time I got the one loaded above.
5. Wait 5 min, go to register #3. Cashier asks cashier from register #2, who comes over to share her new conviction: "Debit not possible. It only takes cash and credit." "I've seen debit work before", I reply. Swipe, $500 loads fine on this register. Next card, fine too. "I learned something new," the nice cashier says.

VS the good old days: (scratch off back of VR, load online) x 3 = done in 5 min. No faulty ATM or silly human standing in your way.

The only consolation in the new way is I'm getting better at making complicated things work, which I suppose is a useful skill to have.
While I still can get VR, if I couldn't, I wouldn't bother with BB anymore loading with GC.

The cost of a money order is well worth saving the aggravation of having to go to Wal-Mart and deal with the above IMO.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:17 pm

3. Go to cash register. Got cashier to load 4 x $500 GCs. Withdrew to make room for the line behind.
4. Go to cash register #2 to load remaining $1K. Register spits out "debit failed. Call bank." Next GC, same thing. No idea why, as I got these the same time I got the one loaded above.
5. Wait 5 min, go to register #3. Cashier asks cashier from register #2, who comes over to share her new conviction: "Debit not possible. It only takes cash and credit." "I've seen debit work before", I reply. Swipe, $500 loads fine on this register. Next card, fine too. "I learned something new," the nice cashier says.

VS the good old days: (scratch off back of VR, load online) x 3 = done in 5 min. No faulty ATM or silly human standing in your way.

The only consolation in the new way is I'm getting better at making complicated things work, which I suppose is a useful skill to have.
go to neighborhood walmarts, try to find a good kiosk
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hamhead
While I still can get VR, if I couldn't, I wouldn't bother with BB anymore loading with GC.

The cost of a money order is well worth saving the aggravation of having to go to Wal-Mart and deal with the above IMO.
I assume you get MO at a grocery store, and the humans there are more helpful?

I'll have to look around town. The humans at Kroger are just as silly as Wally, and they dominate the grocery scene in Indianapolis.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by drdrew450
go to neighborhood walmarts, try to find a good kiosk
You mean the ATM? It's down at least half of the time I visit. Also, it frequently refuses to load the 2nd GC ("for your protection, an associate approval is needed"). Very frustrating.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I am having some issues loading 1 particular MC that I picked up from Safeway. It keeps giving me code 75 (debit not available). I tried to load it at a cashier and with Kate, but it keeps getting rejected. Anybody have any ideas why or tips? Reset the pin twice already too.

No other issues with the MCs that I have picked up so far.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
I am having some issues loading 1 particular MC that I picked up from Safeway. It keeps giving me code 75 (debit not available). I tried to load it at a cashier and with Kate, but it keeps getting rejected. Anybody have any ideas why or tips? Reset the pin twice already too.

No other issues with the MCs that I have picked up so far.
See evolve money thread for more issues with U.S. Bank MCs
I was not able to use U.S. Bank $100 gift card -from Safeway-as debit since Monday.
I was able to use it at Amazon as credit.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.

I'll have to look around town. The humans at Kroger are just as silly as Wally, and they dominate the grocery scene in Indianapolis.

I see you have been to 10th and Shadeland area..
Try Washington Street...little nicer. People,
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joanna j
I was not able to use U.S. Bank $100 gift card -from Safeway-as debit since Monday.
Ah thanks for the redirect. I am still able to get the other ones purchased after Monday to work just an FYI. I just have an issue with this 1 particular card.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by joanna j
My card was locked. I called the number on the back of the card. CSR was able to unlock it and pin is available again
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:28 pm

Since all my MS has consisted of just AP and VR, I am going to be venturing into the Wally grounds and appreciate the above trip report. Might be a silly question but when you say you "Got cashier to load 4 x $500 GCs" you do mean to 2 separate BB correct? Because of the $1000 limit per day? Assuming if this was the case do you do $500 on BB1 and then $500 on BB2 or just do BB1 twice in a row?

thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:44 am

I do.

I don't really go to Wal-Mart that often enough to see if my local ones have machines, and with the reports of them being down a lot of the time I didn't want to plan my MS for the day around a Wally trip only to have a broken one staring at me when I got there.

If I was pushing crazy volume, I see the immense value in having a machine do it versus people, but I'm not there yet.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Bought 6 OVs at CVS. Went to Walmart and tried to unload them - 5 of them worked and 1 didnt. Thought it was just taking a while to get activated. Finally called Incomm and was told that CVS never activated it correctly - so even though the invoice states activated, it never actually was.

So now they have a ticket open and i had to send in my ID, receipt and card details. Anyone else have this issue?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by arsenalman
Bought 6 OVs at CVS. Went to Walmart and tried to unload them - 5 of them worked and 1 didnt. Thought it was just taking a while to get activated. Finally called Incomm and was told that CVS never activated it correctly - so even though the invoice states activated, it never actually was.

So now they have a ticket open and i had to send in my ID, receipt and card details. Anyone else have this issue?
I've been lucky to never have had this issue, though I'm sure it will happen eventually. I'm not the most organized person either and all my receipts just get thrown in a box. I actually tossed an activated $500 GC in the trash once and didn't realize it until I arrived at the other WM and realized the amounts didn't add up. I was lucky that I decided to visit the other WM or I would not have realized the mistake until days later.

I was ripping out the GCs prior to entering WM and then threw the empty packaging into the trash, but I also threw out an unopened one. I was going through various scenarios, like I dropped a GC somewhere or the cashier stole one from me. I then went back to the trash can, searched it and found the unopened GC.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by arsenalman

I have once w a ov gc bought at wg when they let me buy two

One ok the other not

Was able to take pics of both sides gc and receipt and email it in (forget the addr) and after three calls and four days the gc worked
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I have once w a ov gc bought at wg when they let me buy two

One ok the other not

Was able to take pics of both sides gc and receipt and email it in (forget the addr) and after three calls and four days the gc worked
That is exactly what i did today. Will bug them Monday onwards. Glad you got your gc to work - hoping for the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.