Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by farwest101
I love your informed comments. Been in the game since...May
Let's break down this sarcastic comment:

1. Everyone started GO Bank at about the same time
2. Common sense says that if I'm at the machine printing out tons of MOs while the customer service person is looking at me with a puzzled look, I'm going to get noticed.
3. I load BB and GB every month like clockwork, and enjoy the points that I'm provided.
4. I am new to this forum and I respect those that share knowledge. We all share strategies and have the liberty to say if we think the strategy is good or not so good.
5. There are some deals that we can keep longer if we keep out of the limelight.

Back to your regularly scheduled Manufactured Spend thread.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
wrong. you'll get more noticed at the counter. people have a lot of trouble with their kiosks. i know because after loading BB with 10 $100 gc's i went to the counter for MO's (i will not get $500 MO's- do enough and the .70 wasted adds up and messes with my total return #'s).

anyway, i'll comment that the machine is a pain and that if i mess up at all, i have to start over (as a cover since she noticed the time i spent at teh kiosk). anyway, she agreed and said people are always having trouble with it. ergo- a bunch of time spent at the kiosk= nobody notices/cares...
I agree that it's better than the counter. I no for a fact that they look at me weird if I'm over there for a while. It may depend on the neigborhood.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:52 pm

I have no Officedepot's near me and the CVS's around me recently stopped carrying VR's, are there any good locations online to purchase debit visa's that aren't as obvious (a la having "GiftCard" in there merchant name)?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:32 pm

I noticed you can buy $1000 WM gift cards online. I have not done it but it does take me to payment screen and gives me the option to pay with a credit card. If I am allowed to pay with a credit card, can I then go and load this to my BB or GB account? Does WM gift card have PIN capability as well?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by oracles4444
I noticed you can buy $1000 WM gift cards online. I have not done it but it does take me to payment screen and gives me the option to pay with a credit card. If I am allowed to pay with a credit card, can I then go and load this to my BB or GB account? Does WM gift card have PIN capability as well?
AFAIK, no. WM GCs cannot be loaded to BB. You can actually buy WM GCs at the self check out. If WM GCs do have PIN, it would be so easy to just buy bunch of GCs then load immediately there right after. Only one can dream, sigh...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL, WoH
It was mentioned in another thread that walmart gift cards can be used to purchase visa gift cards at walmart...haven't tried yet, but some have had success.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Quote:

AFAIK, no. WM GCs cannot be loaded to BB. You can actually buy WM GCs at the self check out. If WM GCs do have PIN, it would be so easy to just buy bunch of GCs then load immediately there right after. Only one can dream, sigh...
Thanks for the response, if I was to buy it online, can I then go and get a MO with the WM gift card? Also you stated I can buy the WM gift card at the checkout, is there a limit to how much I can put on the card and I thought you could not put money on a WM gift card in WM via CC.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
MasterCard - BlueBird?

I purchased a couple $200 Mastercard debit cards (the store was out of Visa Cards) and was not able to load them to my BB card. I had activated them before and attached a personal PIN. Neither the PIN I gave nor the last four digits of the card would work.

Am I stuck (not a big deal) using these cards for standard purchases, or is there a way to load them to BB or for a Money Order? Thanks ...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Usually the problem is that these cards trigger as credit rather than debit.

However you say you actually entered a pin so I'm guessing you are processing the payment as debit. My suggestion would be to call up the card number and reset the pin and try again. (also listen to the prompt that states your balance as there may be something wrong there).
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:57 pm

What did the packaging of the MC look like? If it was the "celebrate" packaging you are hosed - those are known to be non-debitable duds.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar
"celebrate"
are variable load
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:31 pm

can I then go and get a MO with the WM gift card?
no
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Lol, the same thread? What post #?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Lol, the same thread? What post #?
All of them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.