Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
If your nearest WM doesn't take a CC for VISA GC, then convert to WM GC,
then be stuck with a Walmart GC
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I'd like clarification on this too. If I can buy visa gift card with Walmart gift card that would save a lot of hassle.
At my nearest WM, worked fine. Last time I did it was 2 weeks ago or so. There is a catch though. On the self checkout, you can only load up to $250. I think it's $250 per day per card. So, you might have to carry multiple WM GCs...although at the full register, you can combine cards upto $1k/card, I believe. If you want to load more than $250, you need to go to a full register.

Right now, I'm sitting with about $250 of WM GC, and I was debating if I should load another $250 and convert. I'll do it tonight and report of success/failure if I get a chance.

Oh, yes, I discovered that I can buy University VISA GCs using straight CCs. Until recently, all of the cashiers denied me to use CCs to buy VISA GC when I tried at a nearest WM. They didn't even want to try...but this cashier didn't care when I visited the WM @ a super busy hour.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
At .
My thought is this:

Buy Walmart gift cards at cardpool.com for discount, then buy visa/mc gift cards with walmart gift cards.

I'd love to see your report tonight/tomorrow about this venture.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:46 pm

At my nearest WM, worked fine. Last time I did it was 2 weeks ago or so. There is a catch though. On the self checkout, you can only load up to $250. I think it's $250 per day per card. So, you might have to carry multiple WM GCs...although at the full register, you can combine cards upto $1k/card, I believe. If you want to load more than $250, you need to go to a full register.

Right now, I'm sitting with about $250 of WM GC, and I was debating if I should load another $250 and convert. I'll do it tonight and report of success/failure if I get a chance.

Oh, yes, I discovered that I can buy University VISA GCs using straight CCs. Until recently, all of the cashiers denied me to use CCs to buy VISA GC when I tried at a nearest WM. They didn't even want to try...but this cashier didn't care when I visited the WM @ a super busy hour.
Thanks for the info, and yes please update on the success/failure rate. Having a MFC spend "one-stop" shop would be nice. Although there are no point multipliers on CC at WM of course.

My thought is this:

Buy Walmart gift cards at cardpool.com for discount, then buy visa/mc gift cards with walmart gift cards.

This is a good idea too. Although I will personally limit myself doing this since I like buying GCs at grocery stores and walmart because it looks "normal". Does anyone know if banks can look at itemized receipts?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:46 pm

My thought is this:

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Thanks for the info, and yes please update on the success/failure rate. Having a MFC spend "one-stop" shop would be nice. Although there are no point multipliers on CC at WM of course.
It depends upon what kind of CC you have. I have a card that earns stuffs higher than 1x and the stuffs I earn can be converted to other stuffs. And, with this card, it make sense buying VISA GC @ WM, earn stuffs, redeem the earned stuffs for WM GC and sell the redeemed WM GC to cardpool or something since they buy it @ 91 or 92% return rate...or I can convert it to one of the airline miles, etc (@ a premium though). Could easily do this on the Discover, but they stopped distributing WM GC for the CB earned.

I had to run an errand and WM was near by, so I confirmed it.
6/18/2013 Load $238.06 from one CC (self checkout)
6/21/2013 Load $249.98 from another CC (self checkout)
Bought $488.04 University VISA GC @ a full register
While on my way out of the WM, rip the packaging off, stopped by at a kiosk. GB load with default PIN for $483.10

Well, actually, no that's not exactly what happened. At first, I spiced up a little bit after I loaded the WM GC for $249.98. I tried a split-tender with a WM GC & a CC to buy VISA GC (VISA GC = 504.94, WM GC = $483.10, the rest of $21.84 in a CC) but that didn't go well. I thought, humm...could this be a bad news? I turned around and grabbed another University VISA and went to another register. No problem with WM GC -> VISA GC conversion. I saw the MC GC...since another member seemed interested in finding out if it's possible, I thought I should give it a try...then I didn't want to deal with a liquidation problem if there would be any.

Good luck

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I know for sure Amex does. When they did a FR on my wife's account, they were able to tell me exactly how much gift cards were purchased (she had 3 accounts, 2 SPG and 1 Amex PRG) and the cards were purchased in CVS, Safeway etc.

Does anyone know if banks can look at itemized receipts?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
I know for sure Amex does. When they did a FR on my wife's account, they were able to tell me exactly how much gift cards were purchased (she had 3 accounts, 2 SPG and 1 Amex PRG) and the cards were purchased in CVS, Safeway etc.
Wow. In that case (for Amex cards), i'll just continue to buy VRs at CVS instead of "looking normal" buying GCs at WM then. thanks.

And if Amex can do that, I am pretty sure any bank can....
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Wow. In that case (for Amex cards), i'll just continue to buy VRs at CVS instead of "looking normal" buying GCs at WM then. thanks.

And if Amex can do that, I am pretty sure any bank can....
Amex is a little different from my understanding...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Amex is a little different from my understanding...
Oh ok. Well, back to WM/grocery stores buying GCs w/ Chase CCs then. lol
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:45 pm

GB load with default PIN for $483.10
thanks, default PIN is last 4 digits of card?

Also, i've only found the $100 University National Bank GCs at WM, nothing higher. Anyone see anything higher?

Last edited by SuperKirby; Jun 21, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reason: ETA
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by shel
I bet it's MC with "Celebrate" on the front. Never worked for me either. I tried WM, RA, Post office. Sometimes declined even after typing PIN.
Data point: I bought a bunch of the $200 MC US bank gift cards from Staples. These have a picture of a gift box on the front of them, so I am not sure if they are the same as "Celebrate". Anyways, I found that they do NOT work at WM registers to load BB.

However, if you call the number on the back of the card to set the pin, they do work at the walmart money center express kiosk. Load to your hearts content at the machines. Thankfully for me, there are 2 walmarts within 10 miles of me that have the kiosks. Note you MUST set the pin first; maybe I just couldn't figure out the default pin (it is NOT the last four of the gift card). In any case, as Staples keeps running out of the Visa (Meta Bank) GCs, I think I will be buying more of these.

Note, the variable load up to $500 US Bank MC gift cards that they sell at grocery stores I have had no problem with. Granted I have only used them to buy MOs at the grocery store. These are the gold MC gift cards that just say gift card on them and no special picture or anything.

Lastly, I want to comment on the number of transactions on a walmart money center express machine. I have heard reports that the machine crashes after 4-5 swipes, are you splitting the transaction? Because when I go into WM with 2 BB cards, load $2000 off of 10 $200 GCs and never have any problem with the machine (as long as the machine is operational to begin with, which it is not always). Takes about 15 minutes for all the swipes, and lots of receipts, but it is much easier than dealing with employees who I have found make up the rules as they go along and can be a pain in the but for no reason.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by brandon032586
Data point: I bought a bunch of the $200 MC US bank gift cards from Staples. These have a picture of a gift box on the front of them, so I am not sure if they are the same as "Celebrate". Anyways, I found that they do NOT work at WM registers to load BB.
No. The "gift box" cards are OK. The "Celebrate" has no box in the picture, only some random dots. Fortunately I only bought one.

All US bank GC requires calling to set pin.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shel
No. The "gift box" cards are OK. The "Celebrate" has no box in the picture, only some random dots. Fortunately I only bought one.

All US bank GC requires calling to set pin.
After calling and setting the PIN, no problems with Walmart Kiosk. I also earned 500 fuel points. Used AMEX preferred blue and got $30 cash back ($24 after fees, but fuel points cancel out the fees for me)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brandon032586
THe GC with the gift on the front are OK to use, the "celebrate" card has dots and or says "celebrate" on the front.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by romsdeals3
After calling and setting the PIN, no problems with Walmart Kiosk. I also earned 500 fuel points. Used AMEX preferred blue and got $30 cash back ($24 after fees, but fuel points cancel out the fees for me)
I will buy 2K worth of GC at Fry's (krogers) each month to get the fuel discounts with my freedom card, this will give me money back, this will offsent the spend plus I usually save roughly $34 in my fuel bill/month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.