Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Before BB I had Serve and tried to offload 5 $200 gc. It was so painful, they froze my acc 3 or 4 times. I decided - never again...

Not going to risk the smooth flight I have...
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:25 pm
jk2

Now, since BB allows to use a debit card it for free, it matches Serve almost completely (if one doesn't count $250/month load via credit card). I'm wondering, why AMEX provides 2 almost identical prepaid products? Why just not eliminate Serve in favor of BB?

Last edited by jk2; Oct 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
Look up a few posts... Post 2704....

Serve was not GC friendly and Im sure BB wont be either. Load GCs at your own risk and dont be surprised when they shut you down...
Yea i had seen the post. That's why I was being specific in my post that what I have is Chase GCs and not Visa GCs.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtu2004
Yea i had seen the post. That's why I was being specific in my post that what I have is Chase GCs and not Visa GCs.
Chase GCs are Visa GCs.

It is the GC part that is significant in how AmEx reacts to linking them to your account, not the particular vendor.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:39 pm

Mods... What do you think about renaming this thread to something like, "Everything you want to know about BlueBird. Ask your Questions Here."

I feel like this would cut down on some confusion and eliminate multiple threads that just get merged with this one anyway.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Just a friendly warning if you're thinking of using debit loads: A few weeks ago, I added a prepaid debit card (not a gift card, more similar to a MVD) to my BB and loaded twice. By the third load, I had been shut down. I had to call in to get my account unfrozen, and was told not to do that again. Try at your own risk. YMMV.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
First six digits of card number (Visa/MC) define bank/product.
So it's no brainer to differentiate between products/issuers.

Some bill payment systems even exposes valid card number patterns they accept for payments for particular issuer. (Thus in this example allowing true credit card to be paid and decline other prepaid/gift/etc. products).
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Not sure I understand the issue. These GC can be loaded to BB anyway at WM, right? What is the difference to Amex whether you load them home or at WM?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gtu2004
How are people getting more than 1 BB card?
I have a split personality.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jwudbwei
Not sure I understand the issue. These GC can be loaded to BB anyway at WM, right? What is the difference to Amex whether you load them home or at WM?
They can be loaded at WM because WM codes BB loads as a sale, and AMEX/BB doesn't know or care what funding mechanism WM accepts.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
They can be loaded at WM because WM codes BB loads as a sale, and AMEX/BB doesn't know or care what funding mechanism WM accepts.
Really? my card number is printed on the WM receipt. I'd be surprised if that info is not passed onto AMEX. If yes, it means AMEX knows if they choose to check. If AMEX does not care, why they shut down people's account when they load money from the same type of card?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jwudbwei
Really? my card number is printed on the WM receipt. I'd be surprised if that info is not passed onto AMEX. If yes, it means AMEX knows if they choose to check. If AMEX does not care, why they shut down people's account when they load money from the same type of card?
-My opinion based on what I have seen, and datapoints here- If you load at walmart using whatever tender WM chooses to accept, AMEX gets their money from WM and everyone is happy. If you load using VRs, AMEX gets their money from Incomm and everyone is happy. For whatever reason, prepaid debit cards do not play nice with BB online debit card loading, so they don't let us use them.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Any shut down reports for using a legitimate (mileage-earning) debit card for the online load?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:03 pm

Notice the expiration date for funding with debit conveniently goes up to 2022, which is approximately the current expiration year for many gift cards.

It's a honeypot if I've ever seen one.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:18 pm

Giftcardmall ones? Like the ones you can buy at office supply stores? That should work since that was working for Serve. There was another brand you could use...can't remember. Don't do it frequently. You probably get your account frozen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.