Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Happy
Do you realize the thread has a WIKI at the top?

If you do not see it, click the + sign on the very top right hand corner.

Read that first. A lot of your questions would have been answered there.

Please do get some thorough understanding first before you start doing things. Also please understand that this is not a static, with instruction of 1-2-3 ... It is a dynamic mechanism and always have some snatches along the way.

It involves REAL MONEY from your pocket and not a game, although many of us here referred the MS being the game we are in... You would need to have enough liquid cash to float in case things do not go as expected.
Sage advice. Happy, I am agreeing with you far too often these days

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Brand new to this; I got a bunch of Albertsons $100 MC Gift Cards. I scouted out nearby WMs prior to receiving my BB card. 5 of 10 had MoneyCenter Express machines. 3 of 5 were working when I went to the stores.

Went to my first one last night to load the MC GCs. I couldn't load any onto my BB account. Tried another store; no luck. Decided to load a $500 VR onto the BB card. Worked fine. Returned to the Neighborhood WM and was able to load 5 $100 GCs without any problems.
Returned an hour later; just after midnight Eastern time. Loaded 10 more $100 MC GCs; took at least 30 minutes total. Store was slow; multiple employees saw me loading the cards but no one said anything. I guess I'm fortunate in that there probably aren't many MSers in Tucson. I've had no problems finding VRs in multiple CVSs.
Can't say how cool it is too see a pilot getting into MS. All we need now is a manager from a CVS store to come to the party BTW.... if you find a good CVS you can do $5k a time without too much issue, other than noting Happy warning above that the easy life could change at any minute so just be prep'd for it
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:21 pm

Just another update, I went to another one tonight. Did $800 at a cashier who needed three people to come over to teach her how to do it - and then did $1000 at the money center. She was a little snarky though, she said, when someone asked her why it was taking so long, "He's using gift cards. We really need to let Justin know about that."

I assume Justin is a manager. I have a feeling BB liquidation could become harder in 2014..
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by horseymen
Just another update, I went to another one tonight. Did $800 at a cashier who needed three people to come over to teach her how to do it - and then did $1000 at the money center. She was a little snarky though, she said, when someone asked her why it was taking so long, "He's using gift cards. We really need to let Justin know about that."

I assume Justin is a manager. I have a feeling BB liquidation could become harder in 2014..
I don't normally do GCs (I'm able to find VRs fairly easily, plus WM is a trek for me) but here is something I do not understand.

The few times I HAVE done GCs, I've always rotated through several cashiers to avoid asking a single cashier to do (for example) 5 $200 transactions. To me, such a request looks suspicious even if it shouldn't - and if nothing else it is annoying to the cashier that has to do it. When front-line employees get annoyed, they complain, and then management starts looking at things.

So, why don't people split up their transactions to avoid scrutiny? There are so many "rules" about how to avoid scrutiny - why are people doing something that will so obviously draw unwanted attention?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I don't normally do GCs (I'm able to find VRs fairly easily, plus WM is a trek for me) but here is something I do not understand.

The few times I HAVE done GCs, I've always rotated through several cashiers to avoid asking a single cashier to do (for example) 5 $200 transactions. To me, such a request looks suspicious even if it shouldn't - and if nothing else it is annoying to the cashier that has to do it. When front-line employees get annoyed, they complain, and then management starts looking at things.

So, why don't people split up their transactions to avoid scrutiny? There are so many "rules" about how to avoid scrutiny - why are people doing something that will so obviously draw unwanted attention?
Some people have quite a drive to get to a WM. Also, many people hate the place!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:48 pm

I am not sure how Dodd-Frank was interpreted. However I wouldn't panic thinking bluebird is coming to a hard end in 2014. Almost all financial laws come down to the manner in which things are worded or used. It is very possible that if bluebird wanted to continue to use the word "debit" on their machine as a choice of funding your account, then they would be required by law to accept debit gift cards..
I haven't taken the time to interpret all of it but i'm working on it now.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Agree there is no hard block/restriction in place, but someone has instituted some sort of policy (at least at my WM) that is restricting doing multiple loads easily (i.e. draining two GCs in two transactions)

I gotta wonder why they care who is loading to a card. Its kinda like caring who is depositing a check into an account. Adding money should never be a crime, but certainly removing money might be. I've never had any of these clerks bat an eye at me loading her card. And again, these are MC people I have worked with and talked to extensively over the last 6 months. They all know me.

I was quite lucky that my Kate was a complete mute for months. Then she broke and apparently they fixed her larynx when they brought her back to life. But of course, they completely broke her most useful functionality.

I'll be out of town on business for a couple of days, so I'll try a WM there and see how it goes.
Loaded 4x500 MCs at a WM in the SJC area today. To make it easier, I did one card at each of 4 different cashiers (only 1 was at the MC) vs trying to split, etc. They had a kiosk, but it was dead. Took much longer than I would have preferred, but it worked.

I have figured out the exact order in which things need to happen for loading MCs though. As others have said, ask the cashier not to touch anything on their side once you confirm the load amount. After that, do the cancel trick or change payment, enter the PIN, and then say no to the cash back question. Only at that point should the cashier hit anything on their side. Any earlier and it has a high probability of messing up the whole process.

Since I loaded at 4 different cashiers, I just politely asked them not to hit anything because my debit card is really "finicky" and I have to change the payment type. I tell them I'll let them know when I'm thru the process an they can proceed. Worked perfectly all four times. I then cheerfully thank them and let them know that for what ever reason, doing it in any other order causes it to fail. All four were quite pleasant thru the process.

This WM is MUCH larger than the one by my house, so it was really easy to go to different registers. DOing that at home would be quite difficult. Really need a working kiosk again.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Some people have quite a drive to get to a WM. Also, many people hate the place!
I literally move from one register to the next. I don't make a bunch of separate trips. There are usually multiple banks of registers so it looks less obvious if you're willing to walk across the store. You can also take a quick stroll around the store between loads to raise less flags. Or, start at one end of the registers (say register 1), then move to the other end (register 47 or whatever it is), then one at the money center, then one at a register somewhere in the middle.

It just appears that "Hi, I would like to load $1000 in $200 increments" is a clear indication that you are using GCs - which many stores appear to be cracking down on. It sounds crazy to jump around like that - but a reasonable precaution if there are reports that WM is making some effort to stop this.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I literally move from one register to the next. I don't make a bunch of separate trips. There are usually multiple banks of registers so it looks less obvious if you're willing to walk across the store. You can also take a quick stroll around the store between loads to raise less flags. Or, start at one end of the registers (say register 1), then move to the other end (register 47 or whatever it is), then one at the money center, then one at a register somewhere in the middle.

It just appears that "Hi, I would like to load $1000 in $200 increments" is a clear indication that you are using GCs - which many stores appear to be cracking down on. It sounds crazy to jump around like that - but a reasonable precaution if there are reports that WM is making some effort to stop this.
If you really want to get creative, you could go to electronics in the back of most stores, or even lawn and garden. Both areas usually have cashiers able to assist, though most likely they have never done a BB load so you will almost certainly have to walk them through it.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
If you really want to get creative, you could go to electronics in the back of most stores, or even lawn and garden. Both areas usually have cashiers able to assist, though most likely they have never done a BB load so you will almost certainly have to walk them through it.
This....

You can load BB ANYWHERE there is a cash register.

Why don't people stop trying to split transactions and just go to other registers?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:59 am
wcj

Thats not a bright line solution either. Theres an eagle eyed CSM in my area and a group of newer holiday cashiers...I pushed my luck one night and ventured off my routine as I was in a hurry.....Due to my mistake, I was then requested to do ALL financial transactions at CSC/MC.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Can't say how cool it is too see a pilot getting into MS. All we need now is a manager from a CVS store to come to the party BTW.... if you find a good CVS you can do $5k a time without too much issue, other than noting Happy warning above that the easy life could change at any minute so just be prep'd for it
I find it odd that a blogger would make comments about one's profession with respect to MS. It is irrelevant.

I have multiple hotel credit cards. I commute to work from another city so I have a lot of hotel stays. And with Hyatt counting Cash+Points stays toward status, I now place value in Hyatt points. I don't have any airline credit cards.

I have no desire to do $5K worth of VRs at one time, as that is likely a huge red flag for multiple things including money laundering. VRs are available in just about every CVS in town and I drive by at least 5 CVSs per day so there is no reason for me to hoard VRs. Besides, I have some concern about VR cards that have been compromised/fraud so I'd rather use them shortly after purchasing them.
I'm surprised that you would suggest such a risky strategy.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:41 pm

loaded BB at wallyworld last night from a mile-earning debit card, had trouble getting it to work at the checkout line. The cashier who had my BB card and asked me if i wanted to load cash OR CREDIT. Hmmm...is this a new twist? Will BB take credit loads now?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
loaded BB at wallyworld last night from a mile-earning debit card, had trouble getting it to work at the checkout line. The cashier who had my BB card and asked me if i wanted to load cash OR CREDIT. Hmmm...is this a new twist? Will BB take credit loads now?
I bet she misspoke.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by buylower
I had the same issue tonight. I did some bill pays and was then looking to add a new payee but it wouldn't let me add it. Got on the call with CS and they couldn't figure out the problem and told me to call back when the risk dept. was open to get them to figure it out.

Any luck? Still same issue today..
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Just loaded 15 $200 cards in 5 minutes.. Cashier of the year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.