Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2% profit + points at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by mmdough
I had no problem buying VGC with BB gift card until recently. The past 2 weeks I got denied by 3 different stores. So YMMV.
So it is the cashier not the system deny you?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
So it is the cashier not the system deny you?
It was the cashier. I asked them to try but they refused, saying that you cannot buy GC with GC. I did find one store that still allows it so I know is not the system.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
5x points on BB Vis GC?

All - based upon the fact BB is no longer giving 1.25x bonus pts on Visa GC purchases with Elite status, does anyone think it will be possible to make 5 x pts on the Visa GC purchases the next time their 5x promo on "everything" happens, whenever that may be?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by fletchbo
All - based upon the fact BB is no longer giving 1.25x bonus pts on Visa GC purchases with Elite status, does anyone think it will be possible to make 5 x pts on the Visa GC purchases the next time their 5x promo on "everything" happens, whenever that may be?
I am fairly certain that they changed it mid promotion around Labor Day. I think purchases made before like 8/24 were given the bonus points, after weren't. You would have to go back and look at the posts in this thread around that time.

I am pretty sure they closed the loophole.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:52 am

The loophole was closed in July. Purchases on 7/24 posted properly. Purchases on 7/25 coded as 1x with no elite bonus.

BBY has been closing other "opportunities" since then as well. If you know of any that still exist, please discuss them only via PM. There's nothing to gain from openly sharing on this thread anymore.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by oozze
paid the reminder with chase freedom (5% BB bonus quarter).
Aren't stores like BB specifically excluded from Freedom 4Q?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by aradisc
Aren't stores like BB specifically excluded from Freedom 4Q?
Pretty sure the answer is yes, as electronics stores are excluded.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:40 am

2% profit + points at Best Buy

I did a search by didn't see anything recent. Can people still use the RZ certs to buy vgc's? I'm still debating as to whether I should keep them for actual purchases since you save on the tax, or buy the vgc's and paying the activation fees.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:56 am

No, but in the past you could use the certs to non BestBuy GCs. Not many good options now that Kindle GCs are gone from most stores.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:51 am

I was denied by the system today to buy VGC w/ BBY GC. The cashier said the BBY GCs were accepted before the system update yesterday. Does anybody else experience the system deny (not the cashier deny)?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by SeekGreatDeal
I was denied by the system today to buy VGC w/ BBY GC. The cashier said the BBY GCs were accepted before the system update yesterday. Does anybody else experience the system deny (not the cashier deny)?
Damn, that sucks. That was a great work around for getting gas points on VGC at my local grocery store since they've only been running gas points on store gift cards lately.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I don't have a 5% back card for Best Buy, but I've since started doing 1.5% cashback + the 2% Best Buy rewards for their VGCs.

Say I buy $1000 in VGCs, $200 per card, $6x5=$30 in fees, total is $1030. Assume 1.5% cashback card yields $15, and Best Buy rewards yields $20 in Best Buy certificates.

If you value the Best Buy reward certificates at face value, that's $35 back for every $30 in fees paid, making MS at Best Buy rather attractive. You also make Best Buy Rewards Elite and can collect Shopkick kicks upon walk-in.

Other then wasting time doing the legwork, mm I being to generous on the valuation here?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
I don't have a 5% back card for Best Buy, but I've since started doing 1.5% cashback + the 2% Best Buy rewards for their VGCs.

Say I buy $1000 in VGCs, $200 per card, $6x5=$30 in fees, total is $1030. Assume 1.5% cashback card yields $15, and Best Buy rewards yields $20 in Best Buy certificates.

If you value the Best Buy reward certificates at face value, that's $35 back for every $30 in fees paid, making MS at Best Buy rather attractive. You also make Best Buy Rewards Elite and can collect Shopkick kicks upon walk-in.

Other then wasting time doing the legwork, mm I being to generous on the valuation here?
I think you only get BB points on the fees now.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by subdawg
When did that happen. I had made a purchase in November of 1000$ VGC, I got all the points. So, has it changed recently?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by subdawg
I made a few purchases before the system update mentioned above that killed gift cards for VGCs and points are still coming in for the entire amount. You don't get your elite bonus, but the base points are all still there.

For Shopkick though you only get kicks on fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.