2% profit + points at Best Buy

Old Mar 24, 13, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Smile 2% profit + points at Best Buy

The main idea is to buy Best Buy gift card at a discounted cost (5% to 20%) - check out the list here And then go to Best Buy Stores to purchase $200 Visa gift card with Best Buy gift card ($5.95 or 3% cost).
Or you can use Shop Discover to buy physical Best Buy gift card for 5% Cash Back (this will supply you unlimited Best Buy gift card)
By using Topcashback, you can get another 2% cash back + credit card points by doing this.

So the main point is to buy Best Buy gift card at a discount. One time, I was able to buy Best Buy gift card at 20% off at my local grocery store and made a return of (20% gain - 3% cost) = 17% profit
I got the idea from this website, if you guys want to see more detail. (It is not my website)

This method depends on your Best Buy store but my stores all let me do this

As suggested by Lemma, when you have the $200 Best Buy visa gift card, you can either buy VR or load money into Amex Target. Next step is your choice

Last edited by duc1986d; Mar 31, 13 at 7:52 pm
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:43 pm

Yes because that website looks trustworthy
"http://66.147.244.211/~topfivde/2013/03/24/make-money-at-best-buy-4-profit-points/"

1) The author did not use the gift cards via TCB. He just put it out there as an idea.

2) The author wrote that "most" of the stores in his city allowed him to purchase the Visa gift card.

Have you had purchases of Visa gift cards post your account?
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

You only use topcashback to buy bestbuy gift card on cardpool
Then you go to best buy store to exchange for visa gift card

So I am not sure about your question. Topcashback always work for me.
Old Mar 24, 13, 1:06 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I do not see a Manufactured Spend aspect to this idea. How does this approach help satisfy the spend requirement for a new credit card account bonus -and- return cash to your bank account?
Old Mar 24, 13, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

How is it different from buying visa gift card at Office Depot and use those gc to either buy vanilla bean or load Amex target
You just make a profit in this case
Old Mar 24, 13, 1:40 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I do not see a Manufactured Spend aspect to this idea. How does this approach help satisfy the spend requirement for a new credit card account bonus -and- return cash to your bank account?
If Best Buy really allows you to buy $200 Visa gift cards with Best Buy GCs then you could liquidate them via Amex for Target (ATM->deposit into bank account) and the money from TCB and buying GCs at a discount would pay for the Visa gift card fees and the Amex for Target fees, with some profit left over plus whatever you earned on the card for buying the Best Buy GCs (manufactured spend).

Frequent Miler has posted about doing this at Walmart.com with Walmart GCs, but if it works at Best Buy that'd be better since you can buy Best Buy GCs at a greater discount than Walmart GCs.
Old Mar 24, 13, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Thanks op. I do not think my bb sells gcs. Maybe I should go check again....
Old Mar 24, 13, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by EL3V3N View Post
I've heard that some do, but I've looked in every BB I've gone into and never seen any.
Old Mar 24, 13, 9:39 pm

From my experience, Best Buy will not let you buy Visa gift cards with Best Buy gift cards. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Mar 24, 13, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by EL3V3N View Post
Yeah, I've never seen a Visa GC at BB--just BB (of course), Amazon, BN, and iTunes.

Also, for anyone GC hunting there--my local one uses the "centralized rack" display method for the BB GCs only. The others are located in small pockets with related merchandise--iTunes with music, BN/Amazon with ereaders, etc.

Last edited by fwoomp; Mar 24, 13 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 25, 13, 7:13 am
Original Poster

My local Best Buy stores have at least 200 Visa Gift Cards per store. I will take a picture and share with anyone interested as a proof
I guess it is time to move to Texas
Old Mar 25, 13, 9:27 am

Programs: SPG, AA
Originally Posted by duc1986d View Post
How is it different from buying visa gift card at Office Depot and use those gc to either buy vanilla bean or load Amex target
You just make a profit in this case

There is a different when people buy Amex gcs at Office Depot, and use those Amex gcs to buy Vanilla beans.

You are talking about buying Best Buy (not Amex) gcs at deep discount, then use Best Buy gcs to buy Visa gcs which are not allowed 90% of the time.

Last edited by echip; Mar 25, 13 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 25, 13, 1:07 pm

I posted a few weeks about the Best Buy Visa cards. The forum moderator kept moving it to Best Buy rewards forum instead of keeping it in the manufacture spending.

Feel free to PM me for pictures of the cards.
Old Mar 25, 13, 1:48 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator thinking aloud

Originally Posted by Pointsloop View Post
From my experience, Best Buy will not let you buy Visa gift cards with Best Buy gift cards.
Originally Posted by Pointsloop View Post
I posted a few weeks about the Best Buy Visa cards. The forum moderator kept moving it...
To qualify as Manufactured Spending the process needs to end with an opportunity to recover the original cash outlay. There are other Flyertalk forums which are appropriate for discussing "good deals" which lack this characteristic. What I see here is:

1. Purchase Best Buy giftcards at substantial discount
  2. Use Best Buy giftcards to purchase VISA cards at face value plus fee
  3. Use VISA cards to fund AP or similar

However, then I see reports that step (2) isn't viable either because Best Buy will not allow gift cards to be used to purchase VISA cards -or- that Best Buy simply does not sell VISA cards. I would like to understand how often step (2) is viable to judge whether this warrants a separate thread, and whether it belongs in this forum.
Old Mar 25, 13, 2:46 pm

Data point/Experience:

I bought 3 VISA gift cards from my local / near office BB in bay area. So, they have some...not alot.
And, I also paid a small portion (under $15) from my very old balance left on my gift card and paid the reminder with chase freedom (5% BB bonus quarter).

However, I think you will find hardship to pay all with BB gift card. But, I could be wrong.

Search this Thread