Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
CVS now $5k/day

Just got 6 cards in FLORIDA

Hate auto correct features in phone
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just walked into CVS in FL to stock up. The cashier, whom I have never seen probably cuz I go weekdays, pulled out the memo. I told her it starts tomorrow and she verified.

Funny story though. Her thoughts were that it was due to this lady that has been coming in and buy gift cards with gift cards. She said lady has been told not to do it and even went to the pharmacy to try. Then she came in and started using her phone to start paying with the gift card and they had no way to verify. She found it funny how thos memo came out afterwards. I told her it's nationwode memo so couldn't be the woman. She mentioned that they even asked head regional managers about it and they said it was ok what the lady was doing. But she still thought the woman was up to something devious.

The funniest part is that I am about 99% sure that she was talking about me! Lmbo. I often use Amex GCs to buy VRs/reload Serve. And I recently started using Isis for the $1 Serve deal and the 20% WF deal. But I didn't say anything. I paid with normal cards that day and walked out $6k in the hole. (I reloaded Serve too which actually is odd since they let me go over $5k. Guess Serve reload doesn't count to that max.)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Data point:

Northern Virginia

First stop said the just received direction to accept cash only with limit of $1000 total purchase per transaction.

Second stop bought 2k vr with no problems on card will get more before the end of the day.

Looks like it just got real folks.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbuck
pre-printed payroll or gubmint check....not personal
And they "cash" and put the money to prepaid.. No different than cashing a pay check.. So I don't see how this will increase fraud (responding to OP)..
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Confirmed at my local CVS

I bought 10 cards at one of my local CVS stores near my house today, and asked the cashier about the rumor; he hadn't heard of it, but told me the manager was in aisle 18 if I wanted to ask.

She confirmed that they received an email from headquarters saying that as of tomorrow these will be cash only.

Kind of sad news, but *thank you* to the people on this board who gave us all a heads up about it yesterday and today! At least we had a chance of picking up a few more VR is before the policy goes into effect.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
And they "cash" and put the money to prepaid.. No different than cashing a pay check.. So I don't see how this will increase fraud (responding to OP)..
Yep so in a nutshell, that ad on VR website is just letting you know you can do at the customer service, what you already knew you could do (cash a paycheck or SS or Welfare check) and they'll load it on to a pre-paid of your choice (some new, some they always could do).
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Other than the float, what is the down side of holding on to the VR for a month? I already bought the max that I can load in April, was thinking of buying more today.

I found one report on the web of someone buying a card without a pin, which he felt was a scam, but only one. I suppose waiting a month would be an issue in that case, is it prudent to check to make sure the PIN is there?
And remember, you can always check the balance on a VR by just putting in the PIN on the website, and not continuing past that point (putting in your card number).

If you're going to hold on to them without depositing them for any time at all, definitely make sure you keep all the receipts, cards, etc. It's your only line of defense if something does go wrong.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Is there a limit on how many refund requests you can submit / request?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
I thought about that as well. One would have to think that their revenue estimates are going to fall short unless they have had this planned for some time? Im guessing Q2 earnings may show a revenue miss and that is just enough to scare off investors IMO. Im not taking a position on the stock one way or another though.
I promise you, the guys who do heavy ms... This will not impact cvs. They just will not load vr.

There are other places to buy them, and other things to buy at drug stores.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:19 pm

Bought 4k at three different CVS no problem with using CC and no problems with supply. Wife and I will do some more later. Not worth much but the one CVS where I have chatted with the asst manager before I asked about the policy change he said he wasn't aware of any change but said he wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 30, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I wish I had jumped on the VRs earlier, but when my CC got declined the first time (fraud alert) so I was discouraged to do it again. I finally got up the guts to do $5,000 today on my United Chase Visa - no questions asked at the DTX location in Boston. I notified Chase of the large purchase, and sure enough all worked out.

Good things always come to an end, but I guess that's all part of the game.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:22 pm

Picked up my 5k today. Will be loading all these on my card in a few days Cashier had no idea, didn't see a manager in the area to ask.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by ZapperO
If CVS is about to become useless for buying vanilla and other reloads, can they still offer us any value in terms of buying MOs with a PIN debit?

What are the rules, costs, limits? Would love folks to weigh in with data including how easy it is and whether cashiers tend to be picky about it being an official debit vs. a prepaid say visa or MC GC?
Originally Posted by Lemma
Cash only for MO at CVS at least here.
Same in Boston – cash only.
ZapperO -- we can share tips at tomorrow's Boston DO!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...arch-31-a.html
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the link. The wiki there is helpful. But it sounds like you sometimes have to do a "payment dance" if you load with a cashier. Is there a card that just goes through without any drama -- or need for quick reflexes?
MCs seem to give people problems, while Visa GCs don't. The 3 VGCs listed in the wiki (Vanilla, US Bank, and Meta Bank) all seem to go through without any issues. I've personally used Vanilla & Meta Bank with no problems at all. I even screwed the swipe on one, and the PIN on another, and it was just like using a regular debit card - you just go again, and it works.

So, in short, it looks like sticking to VGC is the way to go if you want to avoid hassles.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Just called my local CVS here in DFW. as far as the guy that I spoke with knew nothing will be changing/and or they have not received any type of MEMO (Yet??)
This is the second DFW data point of no change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.