FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

macrophage Mar 31, 2016 8:58 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 26414835)
That's theoretically what's supposed to happen, BUT unless we get someone from WM on here that actually knows, we don't know where either form goes (if anywhere). And I bet its completely YMMV by store. The form binders in my local store don't look like they've had pages taken out in a long, long time.

I have a theory that all forms from my store get faxed into the same number regardless of type or transaction. They're so used to it now. What the office on the other end does with it is another story...

Alcibiades Apr 1, 2016 8:29 am

Walmart's MSARs get faxed each day to the (479) 272-2222 number on the form.

PaulMSN Apr 1, 2016 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades (Post 26420494)
Walmart's MSARs get faxed each day to the number on the form.

Source?

Gitangali Apr 1, 2016 10:42 am

God forbid if you were ever in trouble with respect to SAR/structuring, who would provide best legal help? CPA, any general lawyer?

bar19900 Apr 4, 2016 6:03 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 26420912)
Source?

I've been told the same thing. Also that the same procedure is followed for MO Transaction Reports. I asked because I was very interested where my ssn was stored and headed. I don't know what happens after that.....especially when the form isn't even appropriate for your transaction (ie buying 2k and they make you fill out the form which clearly says 3k minimum at the top).

andyandy Apr 4, 2016 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 26421234)
God forbid if you were ever in trouble with respect to SAR/structuring, who would provide best legal help? CPA, any general lawyer?

Deity of your choice. Or a criminal defense lawyer specializing in federal white collar crime.

Andyandy

PaulMSN Apr 4, 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by bar19900 (Post 26433410)
I've been told the same thing. Also that the same procedure is followed for MO Transaction Reports. I asked because I was very interested where my ssn was stored and headed. I don't know what happens after that.....especially when the form isn't even appropriate for your transaction (ie buying 2k and they make you fill out the form which clearly says 3k minimum at the top).

Yes, but by who? We hear a lot of things from cashiers and managers, some of which is clearly false. If it comes from several managers, that makes it more likely true.

To be fair, I only filled out the WM form once, and they allowed me to leave the SS number blank, so I'm not really that concerned.

AndrewTheMan Apr 4, 2016 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900 (Post 26433410)

I can confirm this. I have copies of all the forms in the Walmart binder. I assume whoever is reviewing the forms on the backend will probably shred the form and laugh at the stupidity.

redbirdsj Apr 5, 2016 11:47 am

[Deleted]

Gitangali Apr 5, 2016 2:51 pm

My bank put a block on money order deposits. Branch manager needed explanation before they would let me deposit MOs. I told her that I was depositing MOs because of the CC reward program. She asked me where I was getting MOs, I said WM, she then asked, are you able to buy MOs with CC? I said no, you buy the gebit first and then purchase the MO and you have to pay fees. At this point I just like to tell the truth and let the chips fall wherever they fall. She then asked me to send a statement of the bank where I was transferring the money to, I sent few transactions pertaining to her bank. Did I do anything wrong?

I wasn't depositing a whole lot, 2K at a time, few times a month.

Alcibiades Apr 6, 2016 9:09 am

How often do you transfer that money to another bank ?

Mamibear Apr 6, 2016 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 26441595)
My bank put a block on money order deposits. Branch manager needed explanation before they would let me deposit MOs. I told her that I was depositing MOs because of the CC reward program. She asked me where I was getting MOs, I said WM, she then asked, are you able to buy MOs with CC? I said no, you buy the gebit first and then purchase the MO and you have to pay fees. At this point I just like to tell the truth and let the chips fall wherever they fall. She then asked me to send a statement of the bank where I was transferring the money to, I sent few transactions pertaining to her bank. Did I do anything wrong?

I wasn't depositing a whole lot, 2K at a time, few times a month.

how many is few? if let's say 3x, that'll be $6k in a month. how long have you banked with this FI? if you just opened it within the last 6 months to a year, then don't be surprise about AA. if you have very little deposits there of personal checks and cash from time you opened account and just deposited mostly MOs, it's not surprising why you got questioned. OTOH, consider yourself lucky if they don't close your account now or sometime soon; if you don't get shutdown now, don't get too confident and push more MOs if you like to keep your account open. take suggestion fwiw.

Gitangali Apr 6, 2016 12:54 pm

$6-8K per month, account was just opened 2 months ago. I transfer the money within a day or two of depositing. She unblocked the MO deposit instructions to teller, I was able to deposit thereafter. She then sent me an email saying I will contact you if I need further information.

The manager now clearly understands what I'm doing. I'm not sure what interest the bank would have in letting me continue. Most of my activities are MO deposits and then bill pay to bank. I have deposited few personal checks. Paid utility bill etc. So there is no big benefit to the bank so I believe they will bring the MO block back. I'm sure the manager will have to explain this to a back office.

jk2 Apr 6, 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 26446473)
$6-8K per month, account was just opened 2 months ago. I transfer the money within a day or two of depositing. She unblocked the MO deposit instructions to teller, I was able to deposit thereafter. She then sent me an email saying I will contact you if I need further information.

The manager now clearly understands what I'm doing. I'm not sure what interest the bank would have in letting me continue. Most of my activities are MO deposits and then bill pay to bank. I have deposited few personal checks. Paid utility bill etc. So there is no big benefit to the bank so I believe they will bring the MO block back. I'm sure the manager will have to explain this to a back office.

The manager may understand, but their back office may not - this is the difference. Back office can easily overrule her decision.

Mamibear Apr 6, 2016 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 26446473)

the decision is yours, it has been discussed in the past that banks have a risk management dept/loss prevention which the bank managers cannot override once they decide to close an account. Two months depositing $8K in MOs obviously tripped the alarm somewhere so if you decide to keep doing it or ramp up later, there may be no more warning. as always, everything works one until one day, you're banned.