FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

Chelski Jan 2, 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT (Post 27692026)
It may not be WM requirement, but its the requirement of the issuer of Money Order, ie Money Gram, Western Union etc.

when there is no currency there is no requirement.

Chelski Jan 2, 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 27692290)
this reminds me of a female blogger who operate somewhere in NorCal where she says she found a WM who allows her to buy $10K in MOs (5 transactions of $2K each with 4 swipes of her VGCs) PLUS another $10K in B/P. Seems like she found a unicorn WM. you can read her story here . While a lot of people in NorCal/bay area are having a hard time liquidating their VGCs, her WM now allows her to buy up to $10K in one trip with the AP personnel's blessing. I consider this as one of those TGTBT stories that probably works for her with the manager onboard with her activities.

there are more of these unicorns. I've been at WMs doing mo $20k plus with fellow mser doing the same on register next to me.. kept the MO machine working.

cheaptimesharetraveler Jan 3, 2017 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 27694770)
there are more of these unicorns. I've been at WMs doing mo $20k plus with fellow mser doing the same on register next to me.. kept the MO machine working.

Hey, a familiar name. I am rickandcind23 on TUG. Are you the same one I know from TUG?

With the local Kroger being stinkier about MO's, though it is still working, we are thinking of trying WM for the future. We only plan to do $8K per month, however. And if it works at WM, I will write a letter to Kroger to let them know they lost my grocery business.

I went to WM for shopping with Bluebird working very well for a long time. Then BB was shut down for both of us in one fell swoop. We were doing $5K per month each.

Kroger sold us our MO's, so we were shopping there exclusively. They will lose our business, but doubtful that they care about one customer. I wish more people were letter writers.

I would like to just let Kroger know that our MS is not something villainous or sleazy, it's just a way to build miles. Now the buying of MO's with CASH is something else altogether here in Colorado. With pot being sold as a cash-only product, the entire chain of profits is all cash, so selling money orders with cash is more suspicious, by far, than buying them with gift cards. The gift cards are purchased with credit cards, therefore there is a money trail.

Also, cash in your pocket could mean you are working for cash, which means it's not trackable. So how is that okay?

Mountain Trader Jan 3, 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler (Post 27697356)
Hey, a familiar name. I am rickandcind23 on TUG. Are you the same one I know from TUG?

With the local Kroger being stinkier about MO's, though it is still working, we are thinking of trying WM for the future. We only plan to do $8K per month, however. And if it works at WM, I will write a letter to Kroger to let them know they lost my grocery business.

I went to WM for shopping with Bluebird working very well for a long time. Then BB was shut down for both of us in one fell swoop. We were doing $5K per month each.

Kroger sold us our MO's, so we were shopping there exclusively. They will lose our business, but doubtful that they care about one customer. I wish more people were letter writers.

I would like to just let Kroger know that our MS is not something villainous or sleazy, it's just a way to build miles. Now the buying of MO's with CASH is something else altogether here in Colorado. With pot being sold as a cash-only product, the entire chain of profits is all cash, so selling money orders with cash is more suspicious, by far, than buying them with gift cards. The gift cards are purchased with credit cards, therefore there is a money trail.

Also, cash in your pocket could mean you are working for cash, which means it's not trackable. So how is that okay?

As a fellow Coloradan, I am as disappointed as anyone that the Kroger ride didn't last longer. However, I am not bitter as they still have more liberal rules on some of this activity than other supermarkets, and I imagine the weight of all the MS and other money transfer activity just got to be too much.

Remember, this is just a convenience these stores provide to encourage you to shop, like renting crutches free (or at least cheap), and handling utility payments.

cheaptimesharetraveler Jan 3, 2017 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 27697426)
As a fellow Coloradan, I am as disappointed as anyone that the Kroger ride didn't last longer. However, I am not bitter as they still have more liberal rules on some of this activity than other supermarkets, and I imagine the weight of all the MS and other money transfer activity just got to be too much.

Remember, this is just a convenience these stores provide to encourage you to shop, like renting crutches free (or at least cheap), and handling utility payments.

I agree! Some of the employees still sell us MO's, but we are having a harder time, even at our closest two stores. I have to check on Post Offices and Walmart next. I have two more GC orders coming from Staples. I need to change the game a bit, and I am more than willing to ring in the new year with a whole new plan. I discovered the MO thing last year in early January, when BB was shut down. New year = New plan.

Chelski Jan 3, 2017 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler (Post 27697356)

Never heard of TUG.

Pot money is illegal and no entity should help launder it. Maybe the Feds will start enforcing the laws again.

Gitangali Jan 4, 2017 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 27694754)
when there is no currency there is no requirement.

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 27683069)
Only CASH, not debit, not credit, not gebit have any federal tracking requirements.

Quite a few misleading posts. Don't comment on serious subject which has serious repercussions in a scullion manner.

There is NO cash involved anywhere in the MS business yet there are thousands of posts on this subject, should give you some clue that it is upon you to make every effort to make sure it doesn't look like a SA whether Cash or no cash. The kind of volume we are talking about is not normal.

cheaptimesharetraveler Jan 4, 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 27700964)
Never heard of TUG.

Pot money is illegal and no entity should help launder it. Maybe the Feds will start enforcing the laws again.

Well, there is someone with your name on TUG (Timeshare Users' Group). It's another BBS like this one.

Cash for gift cards should definitely raise red flags in Colorado. So apparently Kroger/ King Soopers should just stop selling MO's, because what other means can one use to buy a MO? You cannot use a credit card, that would be way too easy for MS, and you cannot use a debit card, unless it's backed by a checking account. If I have a checking account, I don't need money orders. C'mon Kroger!

Still thinking of trying WalMart, just to see how it goes. Glad you are having some luck with it.

Chelski Jan 4, 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 27702188)
Quite a few misleading posts. Don't comment on serious subject which has serious repercussions in a scullion manner.

There is NO cash involved anywhere in the MS business yet there are thousands of posts on this subject, should give you some clue that it is upon you to make every effort to make sure it doesn't look like a SA whether Cash or no cash. The kind of volume we are talking about is not normal.

None are misleading. You just have to read the post and context. Some posters use cash during the MS process. I never said to not keep records.

CJS415 Jan 4, 2017 9:52 pm

I just started doing MS recently, and keeping records is probably the safest way to prove your innocence, should you come into a legal battle. I take pictures of the GC's themselves, receipts of GC purchase, MO, receipt of MO, and Deposit slip to bank. This shows the entire trail of the "money" from start to finish, nothing illegal there. I don't want to give anyone's attorney an excuse to mess with me. Maybe I'm paranoid, that's ok, it's a good habit to form.

Datapoint: I used a $500 Metabank VGC and a $500 US Bank MGC to buy a money order at Wally, I was thinking it might give me a little hiccup because they were different issuers, but they went through flawless, the master card you just have to hit cancel and choose debit since it defaults to credit. I plan on doing about $8k a month of MS and I have a well seasoned WF business account. Happy MSing.

cheaptimesharetraveler Jan 5, 2017 2:20 pm

I plan on doing about $8k a month of MS and I have a well seasoned WF business account. Happy MSing.
This is a pretty safe amount per month, in my experience. I have never been flagged by credit card companies or the IRS for this practice.

I did get my BB shut down last year, about this time. I was incredibly agitated with Amex and closed my accounts with Amex as my own little protest. I am sure they don't care, but I felt better. :)

farwest101 Jan 5, 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler (Post 27710833)
This is a pretty safe amount per month, in my experience. I have never been flagged by credit card companies or the IRS for this practice.

I did get my BB shut down last year, about this time. I was incredibly agitated with Amex and closed my accounts with Amex as my own little protest. I am sure they don't care, but I felt better. :)

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot:rolleyes:

cheaptimesharetraveler Jan 6, 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 27711052)
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot:rolleyes:

You need to explain why I "shot myself in the foot." Amex is losing business right and left, starting with Costco, when they continually hounded Costco to push the credit card to members.

I cancelled my Starwood Amex because it had no worth. When I do a close examination of my credit cards, it's the Amex cards that are the bottom of the barrel for benefits. All Chase cards have a benefit worthy of the annual fee; however, Starwood Amex gives me nothing to renew the card.

Mamibear Jan 6, 2017 5:41 pm

To a lot of MSers, including me, amex accounts are very valuable for the sync offers that are potentially huge MMs. Depending on how many primary cards and AUs one has, not counting S/BB prepaids they have, they can rack up substantial rewards. For certain offers that can be used at certain merchants that sell VGCs, these can be very profitable. There are people I know who buy eGCs from participating merchants that they resell immediately.

It really depends on each one and how they use their cards to their advantage plus all the tricks being shared by certain groups.

Chelski Jan 6, 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by CJS415 (Post 27706946)
I just started doing MS recently, and keeping records is probably the safest way to prove your innocence, should you come into a legal battle. I take pictures of the GC's themselves, receipts of GC purchase, MO, receipt of MO, and Deposit slip to bank. This shows the entire trail of the "money" from start to finish, nothing illegal there. I don't want to give anyone's attorney an excuse to mess with me. Maybe I'm paranoid, that's ok, it's a good habit to form.

Datapoint: I used a $500 Metabank VGC and a $500 US Bank MGC to buy a money order at Wally, I was thinking it might give me a little hiccup because they were different issuers, but they went through flawless, the master card you just have to hit cancel and choose debit since it defaults to credit. I plan on doing about $8k a month of MS and I have a well seasoned WF business account. Happy MSing.

I just got a new CC in late December and have done $30k on it already.. will do $120k+ by feb 1.. conditioning it for more