Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:33 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Wikipedia on structuring.

The relevant law.

Basically, it's an offense to arrange your deposits with the intent of avoiding scrutiny.
Since a CTR only needs to be filed for cash transactions, the structuring argument is moot here. A SAR can be filed with any amount (thus can't be structured to avoid), and I would think that depositing small amounts of MOs in different branches on the same day would fit that mold.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:50 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:25 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Each week I have at least 20 Money Orders ($999/each) for MS. I usually use those MO to pay my credit cards at banks like Chase, Citi, Bank of America. Is it ok to cash them out and deposit them in my banks, then pay bill from my banks? Is it suspicious from my banks?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz
Each week I have at least 20 Money Orders ($999/each) for MS. I usually use those MO to pay my credit cards at banks like Chase, Citi, Bank of America. Is it ok to cash them out and deposit them in my banks, then pay bill from my banks? Is it suspicious from my banks?
Yes, it is suspicious to deposit $20k of MO's each week. Not that you will definitely get shut down, but it is most definitely suspicious looking.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:14 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:23 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by MsArbi
Only if the bank doesn't know what you are doing or, if it knows, doesn't have confidence that what you're doing is legitimate.
Which is probably true for 95% of people. If you have to ask whether depositing $20k/week in MO's is suspicious, I'm sure you have not talked to your branch manager or whatever to assuage concerns about what you're doing.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by MsArbi
Structuring applies to non-deposit financial activities where you intentionally seek to avoid reporting requirements. For example, if you buy MOs with cash at under the various thresholds for reporting at several MSBs in a single day or consecutive days with the intent of avoiding that reporting, then that is structuring.
Structuring applies to non-deposit activities?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:11 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:23 pm
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: All of them!
It is ok to just deposit the MO. I think using MO to pay CCs is riskier because if the bank decides they don't like it, you have the potential to lose something more valuable than a checking account. Paying by ACH out of your checking account is a lot more normal. There are some reports of problems with some banks not liking large MO deposits, but I have had no problems depositing more than your suggested $20k/week at my local credit union. Be prepared to explain where you got the MO. I recommend doing this somewhere you don't have or want a CC because free checking accounts are a dime a dozen and if they shut you down, who cares. If you are MSing on a CC at the same bank where you deposit the MO, you're drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
what answers will you have if the banks ask you why you have many MO's?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Just tell the truth.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by lad2
Just tell the truth.
"I use my prepaid giftcards to buy MO's at Walmart, then I use my MO's to deposit into my bank." Will I have a problem? I want to make sure before I tell the truth.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:50 am

"That's private."
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

SARS will be reported on excess MO deposits-guaranteed. And the bank is required by law to report you-and not tell you about it under any circumstances.
edit
So if you are declaring the profits (if any) as income and do not have anything to hide during your IRS audit everything will be ok lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.