Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Doesn't matter. For cheap entertainment, Cardinals Fang, Biggles, Ximenez and I want to see you structure bank cash deposits with some of that clean money.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Kick me for what? Laundering my own money? No laws are being broken here.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by jewsus
Yeah, I figured that but thought maybe I could tell by their response. Any suggestions on how to avoid them for MO's? I was eDepositing my MO's and also in another CU's ATM. I feel like if I deposit in person I will be better off, however, my CU is in another state. I'll probably join a local CU just for CA's and MO's in addition to Chase. Thoughts?
Structuring transactions in order to avoid reporting requirements is a federal crime that could result in forfeiture of all money involved and a felony conviction (with possible jail time). And before you say it, it does not matter if the money was legally obtained. Do NOT do this. Do NOT talk about doing this. This is not legal advice, I do not represent you.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Numerous purchases with CASH just below the threshold are supposed to generate a SAR. Buying with a CC should NOT because there is a complete paper trail. Drug dealers and terrorists don't use CCs.
Sure they do. Sometimes they even use their own credit cards.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Structuring transactions in order to avoid reporting requirements is a federal crime that could result in forfeiture of all money involved and a felony conviction (with possible jail time). And before you say it, it does not matter if the money was legally obtained. Do NOT do this. Do NOT talk about doing this. This is not legal advice, I do not represent you.
Making 'structuring' a crime is as ridiculous as the whole unconstitutional concept of asset forfeiture itself. A pox on the whole thing.

I stand by my assertion that if an agent of the government thinks what we're doing is illegal, they can plant one on my behind.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: United: 1K
It isn't a crime to structure transactions to avoid a SAR.

It isn't a crime to structure money order deposits.

It isn't a crime to structure money order purchases that weren't made with currency as there are no reporting requirements for purchases not made with currency.

That Walmart makes reports that aren't required by law doesn't mean it is illegal to avoid triggering those reports.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:51 am

Sure they do. Sometimes they even use their own credit cards.
Very few, those are the stupid and dumb ones, get caught

Last edited by prasha11; Apr 18, 2013 at 1:00 am
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: Several dozen
The moral of the story is don't be stupid. Color within the lines and respect the fact that our activity can look suspicious, even if legal. Make it transparent so your business associates - WalMart, bankers, etc. don't turn on you. Daring anyone to FR or SAR you is simply not a sound business decision.

Originally Posted by prasha11
Very few, those are the stupid and dumb ones, get caught
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The moral of the story is don't be stupid. Color within the lines and respect the fact that our activity can look suspicious, even if legal. Make it transparent so your business associates - WalMart, bankers, etc. don't turn on you. Daring anyone to FR or SAR you is simply not a sound business decision.
The point is if U are using credit card vs 'cash' to purchase a gift card/VR, can it be a case of money laundering?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dweick
It isn't a crime to structure transactions to avoid a SAR.

It isn't a crime to structure money order deposits.

It isn't a crime to structure money order purchases that weren't made with currency as there are no reporting requirements for purchases not made with currency.

That Walmart makes reports that aren't required by law doesn't mean it is illegal to avoid triggering those reports.
The United States Code would disagree with you.

Originally Posted by prasha11
The point is if U are using credit card vs 'cash' to purchase a gift card/VR, can it be a case of money laundering?
Probably not, but they may suspect you of using a stolen credit card.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Yep, a SAR (or even worse, a few SARs) will flag all sort of red flags and potentially will trigger IRS audit. Sure we don't have anything to hide, but do you really want to spend time going through all that trouble? The time can be used for earning miles instead...
Do you have any idea how many of those things are filed a day? And do you know how many people are audited every year? You probably were last year and didn't even know it. Again, you're not doing anything wrong. Chillax.

Unless you really are doing something wrong. In that case, do what you gotta.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:01 pm

I see that NSDP has discovered this thread

Last edited by Alcibiades; Apr 18, 2013 at 8:59 pm
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by thorax
Do you have any idea how many of those things are filed a day? And do you know how many people are audited every year? You probably were last year and didn't even know it. Again, you're not doing anything wrong. Chillax.

Unless you really are doing something wrong. In that case, do what you gotta.
We give up!! How many?

Better yet, what were all of the details pertaining to each case on WHY the SARs were filed, and what was the outcome (if any) on all those SARs and audits? Inquiring minds want to know... ^
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:26 pm

doesn't apply directly to what we do..but a good read http://walmartsucksorg.blogspot.com/...ist-money.html
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Making 'structuring' a crime is as ridiculous as the whole unconstitutional concept of asset forfeiture itself. A pox on the whole thing.

I stand by my assertion that if an agent of the government thinks what we're doing is illegal, they can plant one on my behind.
Structuring may be ridiculous but that does not change the fact that it is the law and breaking it can have serious consequences.

Asset forfeiture does not violate the Constitution if you are afforded Due Process, which only requires notice and a hearing. As it is normally a civil procedure the standard of proof does not have to be beyond-a-reasonable-doubt, or anything close to it.

Don't worry, I am sure they will be happy to oblige you.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aegt123
doesn't apply directly to what we do..but a good read http://walmartsucksorg.blogspot.com/...ist-money.html
Two weeks later I was called to our Asset Protection Office. When in the office the Asset Protection Manager, my Assistant Manager, and my Zone Manager, were there...................and informed me that they weren't going to charge me, for a felony offense.

Well it's sure nice that the Walmart Cops didn't charge him with a felony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.